Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I build a house on the road?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dead end leftover from old plans - cant be a right of way, shouldn't be impossible to get permission

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very possible.
    Recent similar development in phibsborough. I’ll try route out the planning reference so you can take a look.

Expect severe objections from both neighbors who have most likely gotten use to the free space there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Incredibly cheap offering . There's no way it goes for that money or anything close to it tbh if it's able to be built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A Neighbour or both of them could buy it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭secman

Looks a very narrow site, and very surprised at guide price !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

secman wrote: »
    Looks a very narrow site,

Don't see any measurements anywhere but from the looks of that gate it can't be much more than 4 meters, maybe 5.

Could you realistically put a house on that? Actually had a look at it on streetview, looks more like 3 or 4 meters if anything?

450755.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wexie wrote: »
    Don't see any measurements anywhere but from the looks of that gate it can't be much more than 4 meters, maybe 5.

Could you realistically put a house on that? Actually had a look at it on streetview, looks more like 3 or 4 meters if anything?

450755.jpg

It would have to be some superb architectute designed work to eliminate over looking aspect height etc to pass muster I'd say with planners. Not cheap construction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Who may be the owner of that site? All maps I checked it is a part of the road.

450756.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

You might reverse a mobile home into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Would there be a problem getting planning with that great big green lump of an electric box on the right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Perfect for either side house to buy would be Nice site then.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

€45k seems undervalued

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Would there be a problem getting planning with that great big green lump of an electric box on the right?

That box is probably the reason, a new house supply is €2,200 god knows how much to move that box and more importantly where can it go?

Incorporating it into a new build would compromise the design massively due to the narrow width of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

That box is probably the reason, a new house supply is €2,200 god knows how much to move that box and more importantly where can it go?

Incorporating it into a new build would compromise the design massively due to the narrow width of the site.

I wonder would ESBN not have to move it though since it was probably out there on the assumption it was 'free' land, but if it's now private property?

Pretty interesting site this. Looking forward to seeing what happens, and what ideas people here have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Pretty interesting site this. Looking forward to seeing what happens, and what ideas people here have!

Just doing some googling cause I (admittedly no expert by any means) can't see how you'd ever be able to build anything (other than a garage perhaps) there.

But there's some interesting stuff out there.

https://www.homedit.com/narrow-lot-houses/

Narrow-1.8m-house-by-YUUA-architects.jpg

Somehow I doubt you'd get permission for something like that though. Certainly from what I've seen most architecture in Ireland is pretty conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One wonders if there are utilities along the site, other than the electrical transformer.

If the neighbours either side were smart, two houses could be built there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'd be most worried about objections to any planning granted. A small lot wedged into a quiet estate in Dublin and, god forbid, something would like to put a modern structure up? No, not here, NIMBY going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There have been a few Grand Designs episodes over the years with houses wedged into the most unlikely spaces, but like the poster above I can't see that washing with the residents of a leafy Dublin suburb somehow!

I also think that a price tag of 45K in Goatstown implies that there isn't the slightest chance in hell of ever getting permission for it, and the vendor knows it.

Who would the vendor be, btw? :confused:

And also in the ad it's described as a site of over 2000 sq ft.... certainly doesn't look like that from the picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

That square footage must be the entire length & width of the site. Can’t see how you’d build on the full footprint. I’m also fascinated as to how this is owned as a separate site.
    Would love to see how this progresses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Realistically after looking at the street view I’d say it will be impossible to get a house through the process in any way shape or form.

Narrow site - this can be overcome with design and set backs getting in natural light. No windows in each side means all habitable rooms will need to be front or back.

Foundations cannot be built under the existing boundary walls without consent so expect compensation payments to the neighbors further driving up the cost and if you want to avoid this then the house has to be narrower.

ESB Box- this will be costly. You will have to pay ESBN to move this and there has to be a suitable location nearby or else you design it into your house site.

Now, what might be possible is that if you bought the site to the rear too, this small strip will act as an access road to that site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I wonder is it a fishing expedition (maybe the wrong term there) by the vendor against one of the two neighbours, or both! -- " you can buy the plot but look at the interest in it, I'll only accept €45,000 ono"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kceire wrote: »
    ESB Box- this will be costly. You will have to pay ESBN to move this and there has to be a suitable location nearby or else you design it into your house site.

Add moving the two aerial feeds for your neighbours to that.

Telcos wouldnt have any interest in such a place as the BP behind serves as a high site already, maybe other utilities? But I doubt theyd be using MyHome...

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The manhole in the middle may cause issues.

TBH, if you could put in something like http://www.daft.ie/11695332 as the width of the property looks the same

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bald? er, dash!

the_syco wrote: »
    TBH, if you could put in something like http://www.daft.ie/11695332 as the width of the property looks the same

Nice that a conversation could continue while the other person is taking a dump :D

YTNhYjhlMzdjYTIzZDMxMGE2MDE4NGYyZTIzMGE2M2TXgBssSGOhColN72E1d8OIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMS8xLzExODUwYmQwYmQ5ODU2NWFhMTA3ZTcwMDI0MDdjNGIxLmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Quite the challenge. Best to go to a neighbour probably but some inventive design could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nice that a conversation could continue while the other person is taking a dump :..........

?

world leading innovation !

dual seat padded crying chair

https://goo.gl/maps/d4zVjouG7SP2

Google Maps link to Streeview of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

https://goo.gl/maps/d4zVjouG7SP2

Google Maps link to Streeview of the site.

Is it really 210 sqm ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy it and wait for either house to sell.

Worth a fortune if ties into one or both.

Advertisement