Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist voting No [See mod note in OP]

Comments

Pete29 wrote: »
    She consented to the possibility of becoming pregnant by consenting. Condom or not.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-jailed-for-raping-woman-over-refusal-to-wear-condom-1.3425186

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

I see some women around Ireland shouting and screaming at children. They are not able and the child is not wanted. That child is in for for a terrible life.

Yet you don't think you have the right to kill them unless they're in the womb.

I personally think, why make a woman have a child that she in no way wants, and that child is is for a life of torture.

Is that humane?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Pete29

CardinalJ wrote: »
    So If I told you that there was a 1% risk of something but there was actually an 80% chance of it, then it's on you?

Yes, it is still my responsibility, partially in the very least, because I choose to take the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

People tend to forget why free, safe and legal abortion was introduced in the majority of developed nations; because women were dying in backstreet abortion clinics and via self-procured terminations. Whether we like it or not, women have always needed to terminate pregnancies. What gets me is the utter hypocrisy of forcing Irish women abroad.

We can safely say that if little boys had been able to get pregnant, we'd have abortion in Ireland for 70 years. The "we need to support women in pregnancy..." brigade have had 35 years to come up with solutions yet nada. An lo and behold, many of the same people campaigning for a No vote are also against free contraception and comprehensive sex education, two things proven to reduce unintended pregnancies.

I see some women around Ireland shouting and screaming at children. They are not able and the child is not wanted. That child is in for for a terrible life.

Yet you don't think you have the right to kill them unless they're in the womb.

I don't think I have the right to kill anyone else's children. I think the mother has the right to decide to advance with her own pregnancy or not.
    Individual choice.
    I decide what is right for me
    They decide what is right for them

• Advertisement

I personally think, why make a woman have a child that she in no way wants, and that child is is for a life of torture.

Is that humane?

How do you decide that person life is destined to be a torture? That life is theirs, they have a right to it and it's up to them how they want to live it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Pete29 wrote:
    Yes, it is still my responsibility, partially in the very least, because I choose to take the action.

So if you have sex at all you are somewhat responsible for any outcome? We are on very different planets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I'm an atheist and I am not a fan of abortion but I will still be voting yes, because this referendum is about allowing people to make their own choices and not forcing one on them.

How do people get away with saying something so obviously ridiculous. We force our choices on people all the time. It's called 'Law'

People tend to forget why free, safe and legal abortion was introduced in the majority of developed nations; because women were dying in backstreet abortion clinics and via self-procured terminations. Whether we like it or not, women have always needed to terminate pregnancies. What gets me is the utter hypocrisy of forcing Irish women abroad.

We can safely say that if little boys had been able to get pregnant, we'd have abortion in Ireland for 70 years. The "we need to support women in pregnancy..." brigade have had 35 years to come up with solutions yet nada. An lo and behold, many of the same people campaigning for a No vote are also against free contraception and comprehensive sex education, two things proven to reduce unintended pregnancies.

As a member of that pro-life bridge I can tell you that's completely false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

So if you got an STI from having unprotected sex, you wouldn’t take or seek treatment, I’m assuming? Because you knew the consequences and the risks?

• Advertisement

Is that humane?

How do you decide that person life is destined to be a torture? That life is theirs, they have a right to it and it's up to them how they want to live it.

I know people. I know someone who was a child of rape. I saw his mother brutalise him as a child. I see the damage done to him now.

I see other mothers scream shout at and abuse their children, and I think what on earth is the point of a child being born into a life like that.

If she is not able, she should have the opportunity to not continue with it.

So if you have sex at all you are somewhat responsible for any outcome? We are on very different planets.

Yes, of course. You think you're not responsible for any of the negative or unwanted consequences of your actions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Explain yourself?

SusieBlue wrote: »
    So if you got an STI from having unprotected sex, you wouldn’t take or seek treatment, I’m assuming? Because you knew the consequences and the risks?

I reject the premise of your analogy. Human fetuses are not a disease.

Anyway lets see how the referendum goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

What is exactly false?

1) Reasons for introducing legal abortion?
    2) Women dying in back street abortions?
    3) Many pro-lifers against free contraception & comprehensive sex ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Pete29 wrote:
    Yes, of course. You think you're not responsible for any of the negative or unwanted consequences of your actions?

No I dont. But I think if my actions are based on information I have every reason to believe to be true, then I shouldn't be persecuted as a result. Plus, the condom example is the negative or unwanted consequence of someone elses actions.

People cross the road every day assuming that everyone driving is sober, it doesnt mean they should just accept it when they get hit by a drunk because there is a small chance of it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Just another referendum thread where it will quickly descend into a free for all in nastiness and insult. Would it not be better just to merge it with the others. How many threads are needed?

What is exactly false?

1) Reasons for introducing legal abortion?
    2) Women dying in back street abortions?
    3) Many pro-lifers against free contraception & comprehensive sex ed.

Being against contraception and sex ed (actual sex ed, not "there are multiple genders-ology")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I was kinda following your argument until you trotted out that garbage.

The fact is 'we' cannot 'safely say' anything like that at all because it's a hypothetical scenario and you (as well as many on the 'Yes' side) are under the delusion impression that this is a men vs women debate, when it simply is not.

• Advertisement

No I dont. But I think if my actions are based on information I have every reason to believe to be true, then I shouldn't be persecuted as a result. Plus, the condom example is the negative or unwanted consequence of someone elses actions.

People cross the road every day assuming that everyone driving is sober, it doesnt mean they should just accept it when they get hit by a drunk because there is a small chance of it happening.

Not being allowed to abort an innocent human life, conceived consensually, is not persecution. It's accepting the responsibilty of your actions. The main biological function of sex is reproduction, that is the only information that is relevant. Accepting any risk of pregnancy is accepting the possibility of that outcome. You rolled the dice. You lost.

The road/sober analogy doesn't translate. We walk across the road knowing that not being hit by is the main function of crossing the road. Becoming pregnant is the main function of sex, which we risk when we do it.

Sigh, this referndum.

Me and 2 friends, have been friends since we were 12 years old.

2 of us pro choice
    1 of us pro life.

The pro life one has said that she is ashamed she ever knew us and wants nothing to do with us ever again.

The main thing about this referendum is it should have been held earlier, instead of everyone waiting months and it driving everyone into a tizzy.

People are falling out over it.

I know people. I know someone who was a child of rape. I saw his mother brutalise him as a child. I see the damage done to him now.

I see other mothers scream shout at and abuse their children, and I think what on earth is the point of a child being born into a life like that.

So if a child is born into a wealthy family, but by bad luck ends up with alcoholic parents who beat him/her, then that child should have been killed before birth?

What saddens me is when I am thinking of abortion, I am always thinking of it from a humane reason. To save people pain.

To stop the hurt of the women who are suffering with an illness cant carry a pregnancy, to stop the suffering of the mother and baby when the baby is not going to live outside the womb.

To not bring a baby into awful circumstances where it is going to be abused for 18 years.

I am never thinking oh great lets kill a baby!

And yet I am called a killer and a murderer by people.

This is really a sh"t referendum. How many more bl#ody days is it.

So if a child is born into a wealthy family, but by bad luck ends up with alcoholic parents who beat him/her, then that child should have been killed before birth?

You are sentencing someone to be beaten up for 18 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's not a human life, it's a foetus. Typical emotionally maniplulative bull**** from the No side because you really don't have anything else to hang your arguements on.

Ok, it's not a human life...it's a foetus.
    What type of foetus is it ?

Only if you choose to walk by and let it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sintend

No he isn't! Child abuse is an offence in this country and anyone caught abusing children in any form should have the book thrown at them!

Sintend wrote: »
    No he isn't! Child abuse is an offence in this country and anyone caught abusing children in any form should have the book thrown at them!

When did you last intervene in a child abuse case.?
    It goes on everywhere, people do nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

There are many wanted children whose mammies lose the rag with them from time to time and likewise there are many women who were horrified to be pregnant but whose child has a great life, my nephew is one of those. You really can't tell in early pregnancy which mammies are going to be "shouting and screaming at children". And besides in every country even where abortion is allowed same happens so I'm afraid that proves that the mamas that "are not able" as per your statement aren't necessarily the ones that have abortions anyway.

Advertisement