Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical bill from spain

Options
  • 14-05-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was in Lanzarote, Spain about four years ago when a cyclist came out of no-where and knocked me over.

My shoulder wasn't feeling right so an ambulance brought me to their hospital.

Long story short, they got my detail and let me out 30 mintues later after the Doc said i seemed okay.

4 years later (today) i received a medical bill of €122. is anyone aware what happens if you dont pay this? i had a european medical card at the time (dont now) so believed i wouldnt hear anything from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Was it a public or private service? Only those in the public system are covered.

EHIC in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Was it a public or private ambulance bring you to a public or private hospital?

Card only covers you for public treatment in the country you are and that public treatment is the same as a public patient who is resident of that country so if they have to pay a fee then you do too. It is not automatically free treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

4 years later and your actually considering paying it are you mad just bin the bleedin thing

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Why wouldn't you pay it if the charge is valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

4 years ago mate
    I wouldn't worry about it, nothing will come of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    4 years ago mate
    I wouldn't worry about it, nothing will come of it.

Are you an expert on the Spanish justice system? Just because our system isn't easy to chase people for relatively small sums of money doesn't mean that other countries are the same. Passenger details are sent by airlines to the Spanish authorities for all flights, the OP could have an interesting next trip to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Are you in a position where you can pay this bill? If so why not pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you an expert on the Spanish justice system? Just because our system isn't easy to chase people for relatively small sums of money doesn't mean that other countries are the same. Passenger details are sent by airlines to the Spanish authorities for all flights, the OP could have an interesting next trip to Spain.

Oh look, another kid on a high horse, let me know when you fall off.

No one from another country, is going to chase another person for a medical bill for 122euro, that happened 4 years ago. IT WOULD COMPLETELY OUT WEIGH THE COST OF DOING SO
    And like I said, no nothing will come of it.
    2005 doesn't happen to be the year you were born does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Calm down.

Unless you have actual experience of Spanish debt collection I would suggest being nowhere near as vociferous.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

If it was public and you had the card then it's probably a mistake. They have free healthcare over there (for those paying taxes, so with the european card you are also entitled to it).
    I was on holidays in a Spanish town (lived somewhere else, also in the country). Went to A&e but the wait was so long that I left the hospital. A few months later got a bill, so I just contacted them, they wanted me to send my medical card which I refused considering I wasn't even seen. Eventually they apologised for the mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

They could eventually put out a European arrest warrant for you to recover the debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Del2005 wrote: »

Oh look, another kid on a high horse, let me know when you fall off.

No one from another country, is going to chase another person for a medical bill for 122euro, that happened 4 years ago. IT WOULD COMPLETELY OUT WEIGH THE COST OF DOING SO
    And like I said, no nothing will come of it.
    2005 doesn't happen to be the year you were born does it?
    Why is it regarded as being on a high horse, saying "someone should pay their bills rather than try get out of them?"

To quote someone "this is why it country is fooked, attitudes like the high horse comment"

Pay your bills or don't incur them..

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

oreilly94 wrote: »
    they got my detail and let me out 30 mintues later after the Doc said i seemed okay.

Seems like fantastic value for money.
    A mate here crashed into a taxi with two of his relatives inside last week.
    They were told they were 40th in line and may have a 24 hour wait.

I'd certainly pay the money for access to a first world hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

No.

Firstly read up on what EAWs are issued for. They are not issued for debts. Also debts are not on the API system.

Oh boy, I think that one sailed over your head.

Advertisement