Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just like starting over:The quest for a sub 18 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man J, kept that quiet!! Few more races as has been said and you’ll be back in the swing of things. 5k’s are the definition of pain, sure that’s why we love racing them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Sunday 2nd December: 9 mile @ 8:21 avg pace

A nice and handy long run around Cavan town. Legs felt tired starting off but were a lot better after a few miles.

Monday 3rd December: 4 mile @ 8:48

Home alone with the kids for the week so have to be creative about getting the runs in. Headed out before work in the cold and just zoned out.

Tuesday 4th December: 5 mile @ 8:14 avg pace

Dropped the kids off this morning and headed out down to the local pitch track. It was minus 2 according to the car and it felt every bit of it!!

Soon realised that my lidl winter gloves were crap and felt like the hands were going to fall off me with the cold. Could barely turn the ignition on when I got back to the car. Will be purchasing a decent pair of gloves this week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice work on Jingle Bells! Hope it carries over well to Drogheda.

Wednesday 5th December: 5 mile with 6x800mtrs @ 5k pace (200mtr recovery)

A very rushed session. Got back from a meeting in Mayo and headed straight to the local gaa pitch track as it was starting to get dark. Kept the warm-up to 1 mile, few stretches and ready to go.

Splits for the 800's were:
    3:02
    3:00
    3:01
    2:58
    3:02

Another mile cool down finished the job!

Happy enough with this as was tired from 4 hours driving and had very little water on board.

Thursday 6th: Rest Day

Friday 7th Dec: 5 mile@ 8:54 avg pace

Nice and handy run around the club gaa pitch.

Saturday 8th Dec: 6.5 mile with 4x5mins @ HM pace with 5 mins jog in between.

New HM plan had me down for a fartlek so went with this up at the local gaa pitch. Started with 10 minutes easy and then the 5 mins sections:

Paces were:
    6:36/ 8:36
    6:51/9:08
    6:40/8:59
    6:35/8:40

A decent enough workout.

Sunday 9th December: 10 mile LSR @ 8:07 avg pace

A beautiful morning for a run and legs felt reasonably fresh so zoned out and enjoyed this.

Weekly total: 35.5 miles

Monday 10th Dec: 3mile easy @ 8:27

Usual Monday easy run around the football pitch

Tues 11th Dec: 7 miles steady @ 7:35 avg pace

6 am start for this around Cavan Town. unsurprisingly last 2 were tough!!

Wed 12th Dec: 5 mile easy @ 8:02 avg ace

Handy evening run around the gaa pitch track

Thursday 13th Dec - Sat 15th Dec: Rest

Christmas party, season and general business meant a few rest days.

Sunday 16th Dec: 5 mile including Boyne 5k @ 19:17

Had entertained hopes of dipping below the 19 minute mark but wasn't to be on the day.

A decent enough performance on the day given the less than ideal preparation. Also good to get another 5k race and the unique pain of a 5k race.

Weekly total: 20 miles

• Advertisement

Monday 17th Dec: 3 mile rec @ 8:37 avg pace

Nice and handy around gaa pitch track

Tuesday 18th Dec: 5 mile @ 7:11 avg pace

Had a late evening meeting at the gaa club so wore the gear and done a quicker than planned steady run around the track afterwards.

Wednesday 19th Dec: Rest

Thursday 20th Dec: 5 mile with 10x400mtrs w/1 min jog rec

7 am run around the gaa pitch track.
    Splits were:
    1:24
    1:29
    1:30
    1:28
    1:27
    1:28

Happy with this and good consistency esp as it was too dark to check the watch while doing them.

Friday 21st Dec: 6 mile @ 8:22

Another early start for this around Cavan Town.

Saturday 22nd Dec: 6 mile @ 7:59 avg pace

This was meant to be 7 mile with 3 @ HM pace but early on realised that it wasn't going to happen for me. Felt crap after the 2 mile warm up and managed 2 mile @6:56 and 7:04 before I pulled the plug on any thoughts of hitting HM pace.

Sunday 23rd Dec: 8 mile LSR @ 8:36 avg pace

Early morning hilly run with running buddy - legs were tired but still enjoyed this.

Weekly total: 33 miles

Monday 24th Dec: 4.5 mile @ 8:32 avg pace with 4x20sec strides

Started a new HM plan today giving me a week to play with if needed. Went up to the local gaa pitch track.

Tuesday 25th Dec: Rest

Wednesday 26th Dec: 6.75 miles with 4.3 miles @ HM pace

With a busy day ahead I headed off at first light. As time was in short supply, I kept the warm-up to 7 minutes before getting stuck into 30mins HM pace.

Splits for HM bits were:
    6:34
    6:49
    6:40
    6:41
    6:52 (0.3 miles)

Was goosed after the effort and walked for 2 minutes before the cool down. Had only started running again when I got a shooting pain down the right hamstring. Tried to stretch it out to no avail so had to do a 1.5mile slow hobble back to the car.

Thurs 27th/Fri 28th - Rest

Hamstring still sore so rest and plenty of icing.

Saturday 29th: 1 mile easy

Tested the hammy with a slow run but gave up after a mile as it was very tight.

Sunday 30th: Rest

Weekly total: 12.25 miles

Monday 31st Dec: 3.75miles @ 8:38 avg pace with 2x 20sec strides

After minding the hamstring for the last few days, it felt good enough to try a short run. Headed to football pitch to stay on the flat and hammy felt fine. Even managed 2 20 second strides and all felt fine. Am booked in for a sports massage on Thursday and will mind it until it feels fully better.

So that's it for 2018 which was mainly about getting back on the road after a long lay off. Hoping 2019 will bring a few PB's

Happy New Year to all reading this and best of luck in 2019.

Wk 1: Half Marathon Training Plan

Started on a new HM plan with a week to play with last week but missed a few days with the hamstring so started afresh. Aim is to target a PB in Bohermeen with a few races on the way. Unfortunately missed out on Trim which I was planning to do as a tune-up race but was sold out by the time I went to enter. Will look for another 10miler around the same time instead.
    Tuesday 1st Jan: 5.21 miles @ 8:57 avg pace

Got up early full of New Year's resolve to get stuck into the plan and headed up to the gaa pitch track for this. Kept the pace handy and thankfully the hamstring played ball. Felt a little tight at the end but done plenty of stretching.

Hopped on the scales this morning and the damage from the Christmas period revealed itself :eek: Something else to work on for January!! Aim is to shift 8lbs by the end of the month.

Wednesday 2nd Jan: 5.81 miles with 4x4 mins fast (3 min recoveries)

Jiggled the plan around a wee bit as still not 100% confident with the hamstring and this looked like the easiest session on the plan for the week. I made sure to do loads of stretching after a 1 mile warm-up. Thankfully the hamstring held up well with only a slight tightness in it but boy did the fast stuff feel tough!! I was nearly on the hands and knees after the last one and was worried I might lose my lunch for a few minutes. Thankfully I managed to hold onto it!!! Done another mile cool down and another round of stretches with plenty of work on the hamstring.

Splits for the 4 mins were as follows:
    6:19 pace (0.63miles)
    6:14 pace (0.64miles)
    6:06 pace (0.66miles)
    6:06 pace (0.66miles)

Very pleased with this as was aiming for 10k pace and it was nice to see the last two were the quickest (particularly when I felt I was in a heap on these).

Thursday 3rd Jan: Rest

New Year's resolution number 2 off to a good start!!
    Have promised myself I will get more diligent about stretching and sports massage this year. Aiming for a sports massage every 4-6 weeks.

Got a great massage and hamstring weren't as bad as I feared but nearly hit the roof when he started working on my right quad - he found a bit of scar tissue on the quad. It was then I remembered having pulled my quad during a football match last Autumn which may have caused the hamstring issue to raise it's head!

Anyway good to get this done and will keep on top of this from here on it.

Friday 4th January: 5 mile with 10mins @ HM pace, 10 mins faster than HM pace:

Had been talking to running buddy the evening before who wanted to get back into training after the Christmas and liked the sound of this one. Only issue was that 6am was the only time that suited both of us!!

So set the alarm for 5:30 and met him at the local gaa pitch for this. We started with a nice and slow 1 mile warm-up followed by lots of stretching and then getting stuck into the faster stuff. 1st 10 minutes felt tough and was guessing the pace as it was still pitch dark and too much effort to check the watch in the right sports where the floodlights caught them. Consciously made sure to quicken the pace when the watch beeped for the even quicker ten minutes but was unsure if it was quicker!! Was in a heap for the last few minutes and thought I would never hear the beep to signal the cool-down but it did eventually come!!

Paces for the faster bits were:
    10min HM; 6:55, 6:33 (0.47mile) - first mile was a bit slower than HM pace!
    10 min faster@ 6:27, 6:27 (0.55mile)

Happy enough with this for a 6am session.

Also managed to get in a circuits class (resolution number 2 :)) in the evening so not a bad day's work.

Saturday 5th January: 6 mile @ 8:32 avg pace

Another early start for this as we were driving up and down to Kerry in one day so alarm was set for 6:30 am!

Headed for Cavan town and done a nice and handy 6 mile. Body felt ok doing it but was in bits for the rest of the day - 7 hours in the car after circuit training probably didn't help!!

Sunday 6th January: 10.58 miles @ 8:42 avg pace

The plan I'm following seems a bit light on the long runs so decided on a 90 minute long run for week 1. Headed out on the forest trails with usual running buddy and after a creaky first few miles, settled down and the miles flew by as we solved the world's problems!!

Weekly total: 37 miles.

Happy enough with that for a first week of the plan, all things considered. Also delighted to see a 2.5lbs drop in weight so good to see that heading in the right direction too.

Monday 7th January: 4 miles @ 9:13 avg pace

Nice and handy evening recovery run from the house down to the local gaa pitch.

Tuesday 8th January: 45 mins hills.(5mile @ 8:58avg pace)

Plan said to run for 45mins up and down a hill 400-800mtrs long at the same pace. Found a hill close to the office and done this at lunchtime. Not sure if the pace was right as the plan was scant on detail. Still a decent workout.

Wed 9th Jan: 5.7miles with 4x20sec strides (8:25 avg pace)

Done this with one of the lads from the club while the young lads were at athletics training.

Thursday 10th Jan: 4.2 mile @ 8:08 avg pace. (10x 1 min fast, 1 min recovery)

Had to do this at 6 am around the streets of Cavan in the dark.
    Set it up on the watch and headed off. Tried to keep the effort consistent as the route wasn't very flat. Surprised myself by really enjoying this once I got stuck in.
    Paces for fast bits were:
    6:01
    6:40 (crossing road)
    6:24
    6:41 (hilly)
    6:16
    6:19
    5:55
    6:05
    6:15
    5:41

Paces were a bit all over the place!!

Done circuits class in the evening so a decent enough days work.

Friday 11th Jan: rest

Well rest apart from an evening S&C class which was mainly focused on strength

Saturday 12th Jan: Plan said 35mins @ threshold pace (Managed 5 miles with 2.6 @ threshold pace)

Unfortunately this was a miserable fail!!

Had to do it at 7am as we were heading to Dublin for the day so went to local gaa club track for this and thought it might be easier. Struggled from the start and legs were in bits (probably two circuit type classes the previous days were taking their toll). I knew early on that this was going to be torture and the splits for the first two mile were 6:49 & 6:58 which were way off. Managed two more laps before I pulled the plug as I couldn't see the point in flogging myself any more. Finished out with a few laps at an easy pace which were also tough going.

Sunday 13th Jan: 10.4 miles @ 8:08 avg pace

First long run in a long time in the rain but body felt surprisingly fresh for this and miles flew by.

Another 1lbs off so Christmas weight is coming off (3.5lbs of 8 gone already)

Still a disappointing week not hitting the key session

Weekly total: 34.3miles

• Advertisement

Monday 14th Jan: 4.06mile @ 8:55 avg pace

Handy recovery run at the local pitch

Tuesday 15th Jan: 4 mile with 2.6 @ HM pace

After the previous weeks failed attempt I was determined to get this right. The plan was to run it at lunchtime and fueled and hydrated well all morning to give myself every chance of nailing the session (35 mins @ HM pace).

I picked a route that I nailed a 6 miles at HM pace run in November so confidence was ok. Started out in good shape over the toughest part of the course but as I hit about 2 mile the hamstring started to tighten up and when I passed the office again at 2.6miles and the hamstring was now affecting my gait so pulled up and stretched it. Finished with a short cool down and plenty of stretching. Very frustrated after this to say the least!!

Wednesday 16th Jan: 5.75 mile @ 8:34 avg pace

Handy easy run to see how the hamstring was - it was fine!

Thursday 17th Jan: Rest

Plenty of icing and minding the hammy

Friday 18th Jan: 6 mile steady run @ 7:19 avg pace

Pleased with this - a controlled steady run around the local football pitch track.

Saturday 19th Jan: 2 mile! Plan was 5 x 1k @ 5k pace

Was meeting running buddy for this so got down to the track nice and early to do loads of warming up and stretching before the quick stuff. Felt good in the warm-up and no niggles at all.

Pulled up with a very tight hamstring after 1 lap of the second rep and that was that!

Sunday 20th Jan: Rest

Weekly total 23.8 mile

A frustrating week and a long hard think about the HM in Bohermeen and conclusion is that the body won't be ready to have a decent crack at Bohermeen. I will probably still run it as a training/ enjoy the event run but realistically any chance of hitting 90 mins is gone.

Monday 21st January: Rest

Decision made to focus now on a 10k plan as have missed too many of the key HM sessions to carry on with the HM plan for Bohermeen. So new focus is on 10k with Dunboyne the goal race on 31st March. Will be following the P&D 10k plan with lots of focus on stretching and minding the body between now and then.

With that in mind done a 5k row in 30 minutes followed by lots of stretching.

Tuesday 22nd January: 6 mile @ 8:24 avg pace

Day one of the plan and couldn't have picked a colder one to start. Made sure to do loads of stretching before it and no issues from the hamstring at all. Loads of icing and stretching afterwards.

Wednesday 23rd January: 6.2 miles with 10/8/8 @ Threshold Pace

A wee bit nervous of this one as it looked like a toughie and I wasn't sure how the hamstring would hold up.

Made sure to do lots of stretching and a nice and easy warm-up and thankfully there wasn't a flicker from the hamstring.

Splits for the Threshold bits were as follows:
    6:39, 6:38 (10 mins), 6:25; 6:40 (8 mins), 6:39;6:43 (8 mins)

Target was 6:40 so more than happy with this.

Thursday 24th January: 4 mile @ 9:20 recovery run

A very handy recovery run with one of the lads from the club. Spent a very enjoyable run hearing about his all ireland medal winning performance on the track at the weekend as we lumbered around like geriatrics!

Done a good core workout too.

Friday 25th January: 6 mile @ 8:39 avg pace

A 6am start for this. An enjoyable handy run around town. Followed by an evening circuits class.

Saturday 26th January: 5.5 mile with 6x12sec hill sprints & 10x100mtr strides.

Up to local pitch track for this which has a perfect hill at the back for this. Hamstring held up well with not a flicker from it.

Sunday 27th January: 12.5 miles @ 8:42 avg pace

Felt confident enough with the hamstring to stretch the distance out and hit this comfortably with running buddy around the forest trails on a bitterly cold morning. Still a very enjoyable run.

Weekly total: 40.2

A decent start to the plan and hit the target mileage of 40. Done 3 core/ circuit sessions too. Also down another 2lbs

A good week.

Monday 28th Jan: Rest

Planned rest day.

5000mtrs row in 29:42 (2:58.3/500mtrs)

Tuesday 29th Jan: Rest

Unplanned rest day. Icy footpaths meant I couldn't get out.

Back to the rowing machine!! 5000mtrs in 29:52 (2:59.2/500mtrs)

Wednesday 30th Jan: 6 mile @ 8:24 avg pace

Got out straight after work and down to a very snowy and bitterly cold gaa pitch track. Delighted to get this done and track wasn't too bad once I forged a track for myself after a few laps.

Coldest I've been on a run in a while though.

Thursday 31st Jan: 5 mile with 10x200mtrs @ mile effort with 200mtrs recovery

Another snowy day and very little in the way of a thaw so was limited with options for running.

The last open window was up at local pitch during the Operation Transformation lights-up. I'm on the organising committee so got up early and confirmed track was safe and decided to squeeze this in after I set up for the walk.

It started sleeting heavily into my face on the second rep and didn't let up for the rest of the reps!!

Still it got done even if paces were all over the place ranging from 5:20 to 5:40.

Monthly Mileage: 141.9 mile

An ok month but not great by any stretch. Changing from HM to 10k plan not ideal but still happy it was the right call to make.

Have got the weight under control and only 4 lbs off target of 11st.

Have been consistent with core work so happy with that.

For February need to get the mileage up and do a 5k race..

Bit of an update needed here!!!

Feb 1: 7 mile @ 8:57 avg pace - around gaa pitch

Feb 2: 7 mile with hills 9:15 avg pace - Derrycassen forest trails

Feb 3: 10 mile LSR @ 8:31

Weekly total 35 miles

Feb 4: Rest

Feb 5: 6 mile @ 8:46 avg pace

Feb 6: 6.6 mile with 12mins;10 mins; 8 mins @ threshold (6:40) w 3 mins recovery

Feb 7: 4 mile @ 8:43 avg pace

Feb 8: 6.9 mile @ 8:38 avg pace

Feb 9: 6 mile @ 8:26 avg pace

Feb 10: 5 mile including 3,000mtrs race 11:xx. County Spring league in Clones

Weekly total: 34.5 mile

Feb 11: 4 mile @ 8:56. Recovery around GAA pitch

Feb 12: 6 mile @ 8:30

Feb 13: 5 mile @ 8:36

Feb 14: Rest

Feb 15: Rest

Feb 16: 5.5 mile with 10 x 1 mins @ 5k effort. Done in Kerry. Nice and comfortable and all on target.

Feb 17: 12 mile LSR @ 8:30 avg pace. Around Listowel

Weekly Total: 32.5 miles

Drifting away from the plan lately as its been a struggle to find time to get out. Rowing and circuit training have been good and consistent and weight is down as well. So not all bad!

Monday 18th Feb: 6 mile @ 8:30 avg pace

Nice and handy 6am run around Cavan Town

Tuesday 19th Feb: 8 mile @ 7:50 avg pace

Another early (5:30 am) start and consciously tried to increase the pace of these easy runs. Actually felt effortless confirming my suspicions that I'm happy to zone out and plod along on the easy runs.

Wednesday 20th Feb: 5.2 mile including 2m @ 6:45; 2m@6:35

Done this on a lumpy course while the young lad was at athletics training. Started with a 5 min warm-up and a few stretches before getting stuck in.

Splits for tempo bits were 6:40; 6:34; 6:32; 6:44. Last mile had a long uphill drag so effort was probably about right for 6:35. First two definitely too hot.

Dropped the young lad home and then done a S&C class that nearly killed me!!

Thursday 21st Feb: Rest

Friday 22nd Feb: 5.25 mile with 5x1k @ 3:32 w/ 90sec recovery

Toughest session I've done in a long while.

Headed out straight after work down at local pitch track.

Splits were as follows:
    3:32
    3:33
    3:32
    3:33 (was hanging on for dear life here and nearly puked a few times so delighted with pace!!)
    Took a 3 min recovery before the last one
    3:35

Happy with this when I recovered. Didn't nail the session but will bring me on.

Sat 23rd Feb: 8 mile @ 9:12 avg pace

This should have been easier than I made it. Got a call from running buddy who wanted to do a hilly run on the forest trails. It was a cracking day so decided to join him for it as I wanted an 8 mile easy one. There a couple of big hills on the course and he was sprinting up them so felt I had to hang on!!

Sun 24th Feb: 8 mile (6 @ 7:15; 2 @ 6;58)

Had an early start for this after a poor nights sleep so was surprised at how much zip was in the legs and felt myself having to hold back repeatedly.

Splits were:
    7:08
    7:04
    7:07
    7:11
    7:15
    7:04
    7:07 (long drag off a hill)
    6:55

Happy with this one and then managed to squeeze in a match where I got to witness a very rare Cavan win in Division 1!!

Weekly total: 40.45 miles

Also now 2lbs away from goal weight so a good week all around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

That 5x1km - super stuff there.

Monday 25th Feb: Rest

I'm not counting the 2 mile I done with my new couch 2 5k group. 40 people starting out on the programme.

Tuesday 26th Feb: 6 mile with 2@6:30, 3min rec, 5x800mtrs w/90sec recovery

Headed to the track in the lunchtime sun for this.

Started out with a five minute warm-up run, followed by some stretching.

6:24;6:27 for the first 2 miles

Target for the 800s was 2:52

Splits as follows:
    2:46
    2:53
    2:52

Went out too fast for the first one but happy enough with the others. A tough workout.

Wednesday 27th Feb: 4mile@6:45, 1.5mile @ 6:35

Usual Wednesday night run while the young lad was doing athletics training. Started with a 5 min warm-up and then some stretching.

As I went off too quick the previous week, I tried to be more conservative starting on. Felt fairly comfortable after a few mile. Last 1 mile was tough as it was up a long drag so pace slipped but effort was honest!!

Splits were as follows:
    6:44
    6:42
    6:46
    6:42
    6:38
    6:26 pace for 0.5mile

Another cool down followed and lots of stretching

Total: 6.5miles

Not knocking you one bit John, it’s great to see you back flying but you’ve put serious intensity into runs the past week? Since last Friday you’ve ran 3-4 runs at a decent clip, I sound like a broken record on lads logs saying this but it’s to much I think. You feel it’s right for you just ignore me.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Not knocking you one bit John, it’s great to see you back flying but you’ve put serious intensity into runs the past week? Since last Friday you’ve ran 3-4 runs at a decent clip, I sound like a broken record on lads logs saying this but it’s to much I think. You feel it’s right for you just ignore me.

Thanks B and good points you make.

Just on a general point before I get into the training thing. I know I've stepped back a bit over the last few years from posting on boards but the reason I keep on with the training log is to get feedback from people with a hell of a lot of experience. It appears to me that people seem to be a bit more reticent to do that anymore. Anyhow I more than welcome the feedback and the debate otherwise it becomes a bit of an echo chamber in the logs.

You are right about the intensity increasing recently and I'm hoping the body is ready and able for it.

I've been plodding along for a good while since I came back from injury going nowhere in a hurry without any real structure and if I'm honest with unrealistic expectations. I had lost my drive for running. Easy/long runs I was happy to plod along at 9min miles and play safe on the sessions and not push myself too much. Part of that was due to recovery from the injury but I had also lost that willingness/ drive to push the body on. That was also translating itself into races - I was playing it safe and not "hurting" enough in races.

So in the last few weeks I've got a bit of help with a new plan targeting Dunshaughlin and Bob Heffernan. I will admit that when I saw the plan first, I thought it was for somebody else!!!

While the plan doesn't seem to follow a strictly 7 day week, it has 3 key sessions a week. A lot of those came together over the last few days since Friday. Next week seems a lot lighter on intensity!! So I think part of how the training has looked as if I'm overdoing it is in looking at the block since last Friday - if you look at it over a two week block it probably doesn't look as tough.

You are right though, that it's a significant step up for me and I'm listening closely to the body and will keep a close eye on how I'm reacting to the training. So far so good and I don't feel I'm flogging myself on the tempo/steady runs.

It's also forcing me to manage rest and recovery better between the hard days. I've taken a step back from the rowing this week!!

Appreciate the post B and keep it coming!!!

Thursday 28th February:

7.5miles @ 8:25 avg pace with company- legs were tired and heavy for this.

Monthly Total: 15.85 miles

Friday 1st March: 6 x 1 km in 3:30 with 95 sec recovery

Splits were 3:35;3:31;3:33;3:32;3;35;3:35 - legs were heavy for this and no zip in them but wasn't hanging on as much as previous week's 5x1km. Track was very wet too so am sure that cost me a few seconds!! :o:o

Total: 6 mile

Saturday 2nd March: 8 mile easy - 2 mile very easy with my c25k group and then 7 miles @ 8:26 avg pace

Total 9 miles:

Sunday 3rd March: 11 mile 8 @ 7:15 pace last 3 @ 7:10 pace:

Splits were 7:10;7:03;7:07;7:09;7:00;6:57;7:16;7:11;7:21 (uphill) 7:09;7:06

Up at crack of dawn for this and was surprised how comfortable this felt. Absolutely thrilled with this and plan is to run a similar pace for Bohermeen HM on Sunday!

Weekly Total: 46 mile

• Advertisement

Monday 4th March: Rest

Tuesday 5th March: 8 mile easy @ 8:24

Quite proud of myself on this one. Set the alarm for 5:20 and woke to the rain lashing off the window and the wind howling but after summoning up a bit of HTFU got out the door. Rain stopped the minute I started running and held off for the rest of the run. A lovely easy 8 mile run - one of them perfect runs!!

Wednesday 6th @March: 3 mile @ 6:28; 8x400 @ 84-86s with 80sec rec

Was dreading this a bit when I seen it on the plan!! Headed out at lunchtime to a very wet gaa pitch track.

First 3 mile felt comfortable and controlled - 6:28; 6:27;6:28

4 min jog and then into the 400s

Splits for 400s were:

Another few laps cool down and stretches finished it out.

Absolutely delighted with this

Total: 7 miles

Thursday 7th March: 8 mile easy @ 8:14

Another before 6am start for this and another perfect morning for running. Miles flew by and legs felt fresh

Good luck in Bohermeen tomorrow J, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Fair play on the early mornings!

Friday 8th March: 6.5mile tempo (4@6:45;2.5@6:35)

Everytime I tried to get out for this, something conspired to prevent me getting out so it was a bit of a squeeze to get it done.

Started with a 5 min warm-up around the gaa pitch track under the floodlights and then got stuck in.

This felt surprisingly easy and it was tough to hold the pace back.

Splits were:
    6:38;6:26;6:35;6:32; 6:29;6:27;6:34)

Total: 7.5 miles

Saturday 9th March: 6 miles
    2 mile very easy with my couch 2 5k group and once they were done I headed out for 4 easy miles around the pitch on my own @8:41 avg pace

Sunday 10th March: Bohermeen HM 1:30:19

Target for this wasn't really nailed down as I hadn't done the training for a crack at a PB.

Had always planned to do this as a tough training session and last Sunday's 11 miler at 7:08 avg pace gave me food for thought. Eventually decided I would try for that pace on the first lap and then push on if it was in the legs to do so.

Landed in Bohermeen with loads of time to spare so after heading up to the community centre to use the facilities, I headed back to the car for a quick power nap. Had a great snooze and I was nice and relaxed about the race. Left the car at 10:30 and done a gentle warm-up run back to the community centre. Decided not to do much more than a few stretches then as this was a training run and not too get too excited!!

Took shelter from the hail and then headed for the start. My relaxed attitude meant I was way back behind the 1:50 pacers when the gun went.

Miles 1-3: Still, wasn't too bothered as it would mean that I wouldn't tear off. Used the first mile to gradually get up the road to where I wanted to be and just about managed that by the end of mile 1. Very surprised to see the mile beep at 6:58 as it felt easy. Spent the next 2 mile trying to move between groups and not to get isolated. Stopped checking the watch and just focussed on how I felt. 7:00;6:54

Miles 4-6:We were now hitting the wind and more exposed part of the course. I was still feeling strong but the field was fairly strung out at this stage. I felt sorry for a Dunboyne female who was out on her own and exposed to all the wind so pushed on until I got ahead of her and dragged her back into the back of the next group and out of the wind. But once I got into the group I quickly found myself out front on my own with nobody pushing with me. Kept pushing on and was trying to form a shield from the wind for anyone else that was running on their own. This was a great distraction and miles were flying by. 6:52; 6:54; 6:57

Miles 7-10: Just before the end of the first lap I got badly exposed in the elements as I left another group behind and had open road ahead of me. Saw a group about 100mtrs ahead as we turned up the straight for the community centre and resolved to catch them by the time we hit the start line again. Managed to get them at the water table and quickly pushed past them and again found myself out on my own. Another push on for the next group and could feel the pace noticeable increasing. Glanced at the watch and saw that I was running at 6:35 pace :eek::eek:. Had a chat with myself and told myself to cop on a bit. Yes I was feeling good but I had no long runs in the bad, had no gels, wasn't taking water and had a long way to go. Hid in a group for a while and then the right hammy started to feel tight! 6:41;6:41; 6:50;6:56

Miles 11- finish.
    Hiding in a group for a while worked a treat and I was soon ready to start moving again. However, I couldn't have picked a worst time to start working between groups as I suddenly found myself going over the motorway flyover on my own getting buffeted by wind from all sides. Still I was still passing people and feeling ok about myself. Eventually got out of the wind and now had two people (carrick aces & Bohermeen) working with me and a bit of a race was now breaking out. We were matching each other stride for stride as we worked our way up the field again. Got ahead of both but at the 12 mile mark was starting to feel like I was running out of juice and carrick guy got me and pushed on strongly with a km to go. A quick glance at the watch with a km to go gave me a very pleasant surprise as I realised I would be in our around the 1:30 mark. Pushed on again as we got up the straight for the community centre and managed to pass about 5 people on the track as I finished strongly.

7:15;6:54;6:47; 0:36 (5:30 pace)

Was absolutely delighted with that result and performance and felt there was loads more left in the tank. Have no idea where it came from as the legs were tired from the last few weeks hard work and the mileage wasn't really in the legs for a half. If I had to know how close I was to the sub 90 I would have pushed on for it!

Nice to see that the new plan is working!!

Total: 16 miles

Weekly Total: 53 miles

Monday 11th March: Rest

Tuesday 12th March: 6mile easy @ 8:36 avg pace

Nice and handy run at 6am around the streets of Cavan. Kept the pace really handy.

Wednesday 13th March: 5 x 1mile @ 5:55 w/ 2min recovery

This didn't go to plan at all!!

First issue was trying to fit it in with the wind warning in effect!!

Tried to squeeze it in straight after lunchbreak when an opening appeared.

Got down to the track and from the warm-up it was difficult to run into the wind on one side of the track. It was going to be my only opportunity to do this so just got on with it. Managed 3 before giving up on the 4th as I was in ribbons between the wind and effort I was putting in just to move forward and stomach was starting to revolt. Pulled the plug reluctantly.

Splits for 3 miles I finished were: 6:01; 6:04;6:00.

Total 4.5 miles

Thursday 14th March: 9 miles @ 7:51 avg pace.

Another 6am start - a lot more zip in the legs and miles flew by.

Friday 15th March: 8 mile with 3@6:30/ 3x1mile @5:55 with 70sec recovery.

I made up for Wednesday's failed session with a good session which looked tough on paper but wasn't too bad when I got out. Done this at the local gaa pitch track.

First 3 miles were 6:30;6:28;6:29.

3 min recovery then 3x1 miles.

Splits were: 5:53;5:56;5:54.

Total: 8 miles

Saturday 16th March: 8.2 miles @ 8:02 avg pace

Headed out to the forest trails with running buddy for this. He was following a plan which had 30minutes easy and then a bit of a pick-up for 30 minutes.

Splits were:

8:47
    9:03
    8:25
    7:48
    7:22
    7:26
    7:30
    7:51
    7:48 (last bit)

Sunday 17th March: 12 miles @ 8:01 avg pace

Pushed for time on this so set the alarm for 6:30 and got out. Footpaths were slippy so ended up doing this at the football pitch track. Snowed for the first few laps but then the sun came out. Pace picked up towards the end and felt ok for 37 laps!!!

Weekly total: 47.7 miles

Monday 18th March: 8 miles @ 8:21 Avg pace

Mid afternoon run followed by another 1.5 miles with my C25k group

Total: 9.5 miles

Tuesday 19th March: Rest

Wednesday 20th March: 7 x 1km @ 3:30 avg pace with 90 sec recovery.

Splits for 1km's were as follows: 3:28; 3:33; 3:32; 3;36; 3;33; 3;39; 3;37. For last 4 I walked the recovery.

I think this might qualify as the toughest session I ever done!!

Total 6 mile.

Thursday 21st March: 7 miles @ 8:36 pace.

Done this straight after 1.5 miles with my C25k group

Total 8.5 miles

Friday 22nd March: 7 mile @ 8:36 avg pace

Handy run around football pitch track

Saturday 23rd March: 8.5 mile with 6 @ 6:35 tempo

Splits for tempo were as follows:
    6:32
    6:34
    6:30
    6:31
    6:31
    6:30

This felt surprisingly comfortable so happy with that.

Went hill walking in the afternoon and fell heavily so spent the evening trying to recover.

Sunday 24th March: Rest

Tried to run but was limping heavily so gave up on it as a bad idea half a mile in and tried to recover instead.

On the positive side stepped on the scales and have finally reached the magic 11stone mark - absolutely thrilled with that!!

Weekly Total: 39.5 miles

Monday 25th March: 7 miles @ 7:37 avg pace.

6 am run and body was recovered - pace was quicker than normal but felt easy. Also done another 1.7 miles with C25k group.

Total: 8.7 miles

Tuesday 26th March: 7 miles @ 7:35 avg pace

Another 6am run - same route as previous morning.

Wednesday 27th March: 4 x 1mile @ 6:05 pace with 4 min recovery

Out at lunchtime and hit the track for these.

Splits for the miles were:
    5:59
    6:03

Total: 6 miles

Also managed a tough circuit training class in the evening for a good day's work

Thursday 28th March: 9 miles @ 8:22 avg pace

Nice handy run around the pitch track as was pressed for time and was up at pitch anyway.

Friday 29th March: 5 mile @ 7:44 avg pace

Out for this while the young lad was doing circuit training.

Saturday 30th March 9 mile with 7 @ tempo ([EMAIL="5@6:35;2@6:25"]5@6:35;2@6:25[/EMAIL])

Up early for 2 miles with C25K group and then into my own session.
    Splits were as follows:
    6:12
    6:28
    6:29
    6:24
    6:25

Apart from way too fast 1st mile was delighted with this. Had to go straight away to coach under 10 girls training so gave them some stretching so I could do some of my own stretching!! Multi-tasking at it's finest...

Sunday 31st March: 11.15 miles @ 8:43 avg pace

Early morning run with running buddy around the forest trails. Felt nice and comfortable throughout.

Weekly mileage - 55.85 miles

Monthly Mileage - 222.05 miles

Monday 1st April: 2.5 miles recovery with C25k group

Tuesday 2nd April: 2 mile @ 6:05 pace / 4 min recovery / 5 x 1/2 mile in 3:00 with 70 sec recovery:

Splits were as follows - 6:03; 6:02 (2:50;2:56;2;55;2:56;2:58) - Very happy with this as it felt controlled and was hitting the paces. Still a tough session!!

Total: 6 miles

Wednesday 3rd April: 5 mile tempo @ 6:25 pace

Splits were as follows: 6:21;6:24;6:21;6:19;6:22 - another one done at the local gaa pitch. A bit rushed as was travelling to Cork with work in the afternoon but happy with the effort and hitting the paces.

Thurs 4th April: 9.3 miles @ 8:14 avg pace
    Was down in Cork so got up early and got out at 6:30 am and followed a lovely route along the river taking in the greenway - got adventurous on the way back and went exploring so a longer run than anticipated.

Friday 5th April: 7 miles @ 8:14 avg pace
    Late evening run when I got back from Cork with one of the lads from the club. Was tired but the miles flew by with the company.

Saturday 6th April: 2 mile @ 6:00 pace/ 3 min jog /6 x 1/2 mile in 3:00 with 70 sec recovery

Started out with a 2.5mile warm-up with the C25k group.
    Splits were 6:01;5:58; (2:52;2:56;2:59;2:58;2:58;3:02) - A toughie but again happy to hit the paces and wasn't hanging on too much.

Total: 8.5 mile

Sunday 7th April: 7 miles 5@ 6:40 last 2 @ 6:35 pace

Another earlier start as a family day out to the zoo was planned. Headed down to local gaa pitch track and got going after a quick warm-up and a few stretches.

Splits were: 6:34;6:36;6:37;6:36;6:31;6:31;6:28

Happy with this and got a nice rhythm going

Weekly Total: 45.3 miles

Monday 8th April:
    AM: 6 mile easy@ 8:10 avg pace

Easy 6 am run around Cavan town.

PM: 2.6 miles @9:37 avg pace

Done this with my couch to 5k group

Total: 8.6 miles

Tuesday 9th April: Rest

Wed 10th April: In/Out 6:30/6:55/6:15/6:50/6:10

First run with new runners!

I was a bit wary of this when I saw it on the plan as I usually struggle with hitting the paces prescribed.

Ending up doing it straight after my dinner, while young lad was at training so made it even harder on myself.

Splits were: 6:30/7:03;6:32;6:48;6:21

I was ok with this as effort was fairly honest and main difficulty was feeling heavy after the feed.

Total: 7.5mile

Thursday 11th April: 8 mile @ 7:56 avg pace

6 am start for this - nice and handy pace

Friday 12th April: 7 mile @ 8:15 avg pace

Pressed for time so ran for as long as I could around the local gaa pitch

Saturday 13th April: 11 mile @ 6:49 avg pace

Very proud of this one as knew it would be tough when I saw it on the plan. Didn't help that the first few mile were into a very strong wind and it was a real struggle to keep going forward. I had planned an out and back route along the N3 but after 3 and a half miles of torture I turned back and ran back towards the car. It was a different run with the wind on my back but had to fight with myself mentally to keep going past the car knowing I would have to do the last few miles into the wind again. Delighted I hit the full 11 miles that were in the plan and winning the mental battle.

Splits were: 6:49;6:32;7:00;6:53;6:47;6:44;6:44;6:50;6:44;6:43;7:00

Sunday 14th April: Rest

An unscheduled rest day but probably my best day since I got back running a few years ago. Today was D-day for my couch to 5 k group after 7 weeks of training, over 40 of them toed the line for their first 5km. All of the came home under 40 minutes and were rightly thrilled with themselves, I was race director so didn't run it. We also raised a lot of money for local charities so a great day all around.

I was dosed though after it as it was bitterly cold and I had been out in it from early morning setting up the course so by the time we had finished up, I was chilled to the bone so went home and slept on the couch and lit the fire!!!

Weekly total: 42.1 miles

Monday 15th April:

AM: 6 mile @ 7:56 - a rare lunchtime run

PM: 1.5 mile with C25K group

Total: 7.5 miles

Tuesday: 6 mile: 2 mile @ 5:58; 3 min rec; 5 x800mtrs @ 2:58 w 70 secs recovery

A real toughie this one.

Finished work early and hit the track on the way home.

Splits were as follows:
    6:00; 5:59
    2:52
    2:56
    2:59
    2:59

Happy out with one.

Wed 17th April: 7mile @ 7:47

A lovely run with one of the lads from the club with the young lad was training.

Thurs 18th April: 8.5 mile with 2x3miles @ 6:20

Another one that made me do a double take when I saw it on the plan!!

Hit the track on the way home and got stuck in.

Splits were: 6:15;6:18;6:18/ 6:06;6:16;6:10

Delighted with this and the paces I was hitting.

Taking this one as a good sign of the progress I'm making.

• Advertisement

Friday 19th April: Rest

Up and down to Kerry in a day so scheduled the rest day for today. Figured I would need it too!

Saturday 20th April: Plan 11mile @ 6:48 avg pace. Actual 11 mile @ 6:43 avg pace

I wasn't looking forward to this one at all especially when the only time I would get to do it was first thing as I had to be up at the pitch for training for 9:30 am.

The consolation was that at least I would get it done before the day got too hot. Set the alarm for 6:40 and had the porridge before hitting the road. Picked the same out and back route I had picked last week and hoped the wind wouldn't be a factor - thankfully it wasn't. Took me a few miles to get into a rhythm but one I did the miles glided by. Last few were tough and mentally had to dig in. Last miles was uphill so the lungs and legs were burning but was absolutely delighted with the pace. If I had kept going for another 2.1miles at the same pace I would have bettered my half marathon PB

Splits were as follows:
    6:45
    6:46
    6:32
    6:54
    6:33
    6:39
    6:43
    6:49
    6:39

Finished with a one mile cool down for a total of 12 miles for the day.

Advertisement