Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just like starting over:The quest for a sub 18 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

December update

December turning into a bit of a washout between various bugs getting into the house and lingering. First came a vomiting bug and then I succumbed to a chest infection that put me on antibiotics for a week.

Dec 2nd: 5 mile @ 8:33 Handy run after work at local gaa pitch

Dec 3rd: 6 mile @ 8:14 Easy run while young lad was at training.

Weekly total: 11 miles

Dec 9th: 5 mile @ 8:49 Easy run around local football pitch

Dec 10th: 5 mile @ 8:53 Late evening run with a few of the lads from the club

Dec 12th: 2.5 mile @ 11:27 Ran with some of my running group just to get running

Dec 13th: 4 mile with 3@ 7:00 Idea was to check if I was up to running the 5k on Sunday that I has signed up to. Was really happy with how I felt so decided 5k was on.

Dec 15th: Drogheda 5k: 18:53

Realistically knew that a PB was probably not on the cards but wanted to give this a good rattle.

Started strong but managed to get isolated early on which made this hard work, lost energy rapidly over the last 2kms and was relieved to see the finish line. Was to be expected as previous two weeks training were poor and the body was tired.

Splits: 3:33;3:42;3:46;3:44;3:55.

Weekly Total: 21.5 miles

Dec 21st: 5 mile @ 8:41 pace After a week of feeling crap, went for a run to see how I was feeling - wasn't too bad but was working hard.

Ended up on antibiotics and an extended break.

December 30th@ 6 mile @ 8:48 - First run after finishing the antibiotics and felt good to get out.

December 31st: 6 mile @ 8:17 - same run again and felt even better!!

December total: 49.5 miles

Wednesday 1st Jan 6.5 mile with one easy/one quick.

A wee tester to see how I was going after the break.

Started with a handy 0.5 mile warm up and then into the alternating miles. Splits were 6:31/8:02/6:34/8:02/6:28/8:09

A toughie and noticed the lack of fitness. Also managed to get the wire of my headphones caught in a fence and broke them!!

Thurs 2nd JanRest

Friday 3rd Jan Rest

Saturday 4th Jan 6 mile including Parkrun (19:06)

A new parkrun started in Cavan town so decided to pop my parkrun cherry and go along. Finished 2nd in 19:06 (3 seconds behind winner). Didn't push too hard and was just happy with the workout.

Sunday 5th Jan: 1 mile @ 8:54

Out to the forest park trails with running buddy but knee flared up and had to pull the plug after a mile.

6th Jan - 14th Jan: Rest Back to Physio who diagnosed a flare up of the patellar tendinopathy injury from 2 years ago. Lots of rehab exercises to build up knee.

15th Jan: 5 mile @ 8:44Trial run while kids were at athletics training - no issues with the knee.

16th Jan: rest

17th Jan: 5 mile @ 8:50 avg pace 6 am run at local pitch with running buddy and again no issues with the knee. Back to physio in afternoon and he gave me the clean bill of health to build back the mileage. Lots more rehab exercises also prescribed!!

Sat 18th Jan: 5 mile @ 9:08Spent an hour in the gym and then done a slow run with the group I coach.

Sunday 19th Jan: 10 mile @ 8:29 avg pace A big test for the knee and passed with flying colours. This was 31 laps of the football pitch track so boredom was the biggest struggle.

Weekly total: 25 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Mind the knee J!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

31 laps - my Chri$t.
    That would kill me.

What rehab work you get? I'm minding my knee/quad.

31 laps - my Chri$t.
    That would kill me.

What rehab work you get? I'm minding my knee/quad.

Have a few exercises to do.

One that is really working well and making the difference is Spanish Squats (I'm doing 6 minutes a day). Generally do them in blocks of 10 reps of 12 seconds. Quads are usually on fire after the two minutes!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ksofnvkohI

Also really working are the leg extensions - using a heavy duty resistance band for this and 4 x15 reps each day.

The thing I like about these is that I can nearly feel the difference straight away and I don't need to go to the gym to do them which will make a difference in building them into the daily routine.

Others I'm doing are 50 x one legged squats onto a bench; one legged wall-sits 3 x 45 seconds; and 4 x12 bulgarian squats (haven't mastered these yet!)

To fix the problem and redress the balance between both legs I'm doing hop and stick 3 x 20metres and 3 x 20 metres of one legged hops. Doing this about 2/3 times a week.

Then I try fit in some running :D:D

• Advertisement

Monday 20th January:

AM: rehab work in the gym

PM: running form work on track while coaching my running group - got quite a few funny looks when I was doing my hop and stick routine!!!

Tuesday 21st January: 2.5 mile @ 8:20 avg pace. Around pitch track while young lad was at football training

Wednesday 22nd Jan:

AM: another gym session for rehab work.

PM: 5 mile @ 8:33 avg pace. Ran this with one of the lads from the club around Cavan Town keeping it nice and handy

Thursday 23rd Jan 4 mile @ 8:23 avg pace. Around pitch track again.

More running form exercises while running group where doing their thing!!

Friday 25th January: 5 mile @ 8:34. On the roads for this and kept it nice and handy.

Gym work for knee again.

Saturday 26th Jan: Rest

Sun 27th Jan: Plan 2 x 2 mile @ 7:50 pace with 1 min rec in 9 mins.

Splits for 2 miles were 6:50; 6:51; 8:20; 6:51; 7:00. Got a bit carried away with this but nice to be running fast again and knee held up well. Body was creaky though from the tough gym workout for the legs that morning. Delighted with this as proved I could run fast again and no ill effects from the knee injury!!

Weekly total: 21.5 mile

Overall delighted with the weeks work and the progress with the rehab. Am confident that if I am consistent with the rehab work I can keep on top of the knee injury. Plan for next week is to build again and run Trim on Sunday but will start out easy and pull the plug if the knee plays up!!

Onwards and Upwards

Monday 27th January: Rest - no chance to get out as had to work late. Done an hours rehab on the knee instead at home.

Tues 28th Jan: 5 mile @ 8:25. 20 laps of football pitch track while young lad was training.

Wed 29th January: 5.5 mile 3@ 7:55 last 2.5 @ 7:40 pace
    Lunchtime run for this and just went on feel. Felt good so pushed on a wee bit. Thankfully no issues with knee. Splits were 7:23;7:18;7:20;7:19;7:15; 7:18 pace. Done an hours rehab on knee in the morning.

Thurs 30th January: 5.1 mile @ 8:16. All I could fit in while kids were at Athletics training - done this with one of the lads from the club.

Friday 31st January:
    5 mile @ 8:45 after work around gaa pitch track after an hours work in the gym on the knee. Legs felt tired and quads were on fire after the gym so kept it real handy but knee felt ok.

January total: 70.6 miles

Sat 1st Feb: Rest

Sunday 2nd Feb: 10mile @ 8:02 on the forest trails. Good to get this in the legs at a decent pace. I was signed up for Trim but decided to do a 10mile solo run instead rather than risking injury but pushing too hard.

Weekly total: 30.6 miles

Got the all clear from the physio as long as I kept up the rehab exercises so all systems go for Bohermeen.

Mon 3rd Feb 5 mile @ 9:05 avg pace. 6 am run around the pitch track with company are a 30 min rehab session in the gym.

Tues 4th Feb: 5 mile @ 8:18 avg pace while young lad was at football training.

Wed 5th Feb: 6 x 1km (.62mile) in 4:25 with 60 sec rec - Hit the track at first light for this and got into it after a 1 mile warm-up and some stretches just after a 30 minutes rehab session on the knee. Splits for the 1kms were: 4:09; 3:57; 3:55;3:55; 3:55; 3:54. Was running on effort rather than looking at watch so surprised how quick these were. Total 5.5 miles with cool down.

Thurs 6th Feb: 7 mile @ 8:03 Done this around Cavan town. Started with a rehab session in the gym.

Fri 7th Feb: Rest

Sat 8th Feb: 7 mile easy - Again started with a 30 minutes gym session for the knee and then an easy 7 mile around the pitch track @ 8:40 keeping it nice and handy.

Sunday 9th Feb: 9 mile @ 7:58 The storm nearly put paid to this but spotted a window and headed out with one of the lads from the club and hit the forest trails. Paces were all over the place because of the wind and driving rain but felt good and strong and finished strong. No issues with the knee either!

Weekly total: 38.5 mile

Monday 10th Feb: Ended up not getting out with the storm and snow here. Done a 5k row in 30 minutes instead.

Tuesday 11th Feb: Rest - weather was even worse!

Wed 12th Feb: 5 mile tempo @ 7:25 pace - Got this in while the kids were at athletics training. Started with a 3 minute warm-up and then into the tempo run on a fairly lumpy route. Splits were 7:18; 7:15; 7:20; 7:06; 7:21. followed by another 3 min cool down. Total 5.6 miles

Thurs 13th Feb: 7 mile @ 8:21 Done this around the local gaa pitch track. nice and easy and body felt good.

Fri 14th Feb: 6 mile tempo 4@ 7:25 last 2 @ 7:15 pace. Struggled to fit this is with work pressure so ended up squeezing it in at the track fighting light straight after work. Was feeling tired so just focussed on the effort. Splits were 7:10; 7:22; 7:20;7:22; 7:05; 6:58. Total 7 miles.

Sat 15th Feb: 5 mile @ 8:13 - Local gaa pitch track again due to high winds and rain. Ended up doing it in a monsoon. A miserable run but it got done.

Sun 16th Feb: 12 mile @ 7:48. Delighted with this as I had only 4 hours sleep and was dreading getting on as conditions were awful. Had company for first 6 miles on a very hilly route and then finished with an out and back 6 miles around the grounds of Farnham estate. Also missed most of the worst weather.

Weekly Total: 36.6 miles

Mon 17th February: 7 miles @ 6:55.
    Very happy with this as I was dreading it when I seen it on the plan. Snuck out at lunch time from work and was only out the door when the hailstones started pelting me!! Muddled through and got into a rhythm after a few miles. A nice wee confidence booster of a run too.

Tues 18th Feb: Rest

Wed 19th Feb: 10 x 800meters in 3:18 with 90 sec recovery - Done this after work at the gaa pitch track. Splits were 3:05; 3:05; 3:03; 3:03; 3:02; 3:04; 3:06 3:07; 3:05; 3:05. Went by feel on this and just went with it. 7 miles total.

Thurs 20th Feb
    : 9 easy @ 8:40 pace around football pitch track. Ran this in a monsoon.

Fri 21st Feb: 8 mile @ 8:21 avg pace with last at 7:17. Done it in a complete monsoon and high winds. Ended up with a blister from the soaking I got! Worst conditions I ran in in a long while.

Sat 22nd Feb: Plan - 3x4 mile @ 7:20 pace: Actual 7:06;7:12; 7:08;7:12; 8:35; 7:17; 7:29;7:25; 7:12 (very hilly part of route) 8:34; 7:38;8:02; 7:40; 8:15 (legs were gone at this stage and rain and hail were driving into me!) Happy to get this finished - Total 14miles.

Sun 23rd Feb: 4 mile including 3km race (forgot to start watch) Focused on keeping the pace honest without pushing too hard and risking injury. Numbers were low for the race so managed to pull away from the field over last 800mtrs for a win!!

Weekly total: 49 miles

• Advertisement

Monday 24th Feb: 6 mile @ 8:35 with 15 x35 secs hills. Done the first few miles slow with the group I'm coaching and then headed out on my own and included the hills. Legs were getting tired over the last few but kept the effort and pace up.

Tues 25th Feb: 6 mile @ 8:02 avg pace. Done this while young lad was at football training around a gaa pitch track.

Wed 26th Feb: 6 mile easy @ 8:18 avg pace Done this while kids were at athletics training keeping the pace handy on an up and down route.

Thurs 27th Feb: 3x3 mile in 6:45 with 1 mile easy recovery:
    I had only one chance of doing this which was at first light. Unfortunately it was snowing and footpaths were treacherous so ended up down at gaa pitch track. Bitterly cold but calm so decent conditions. Track was slippy in one corner so had to avoid that. Splits were 6:42;6:39; 6:39..... 6:41;6:34;6:38..... 6:35;6:39; 6:33... Total 11miles. Absolutely delighted with this as I went in to it mentally and physically tired and it was tempting to stay in bed!! the track made it easier to watch the pace but the 44 laps compensated for that!!

Fri 28th Feb: Rest

Sat 29th Feb: 9 mile tempo 6@ 7:10 last 3 @ 7:05 pace Another early morning one before Jorge!! Roads and footpaths were treacherous again so back to laps of the track. Wind was really picking up as this went on and had a few snow showers to contend with too. Splits were - 6:48;7:01;7:10;7:07;7:11;7:08;7:08;7:09;7:04

Weekly total: 38 miles

February Total: 172.1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

A win is a win J, well done!!

Fair play on the 3k race but also that 3x3 session early in the morning!!

Update:

Have been plugging away over the last few months but work has been mental busy so wasn't keeping the log updated!

Have been consistently training and hitting 45-50 miles a week since April with the focus mainly on Half Marathon stuff but like everyone else it's been a struggle to stay motivated with races disappearing off the calendar!

Done a few 5k's over the summer with similar enough times - 18:21 in Nurney and 18:23 in Leixlip on the Day of PB's. Had hoped to dip under 18 this year and that's still in the back of my mind if the right race pops up!!

So will try and get better at keeping this updated from here on in.

Week Starting: 14th September
    Had a good week last week - started off the week trying to shake off a head cold but managed it well and was back in form by the second half of the week.

Mon Sept 14th 7 mile @ 8:31 at 6am around Cavan Town. Struggled over the second half fighting the head cold still and heart rate was rising all the time.

Tuesday Sept 15th Horrible run as head cold was taking over. Set out at 6:30am and never got going. Heart rate was very high so pulled the plug at 6 miles to fight another day. 6 miles @ 8:52

Wed Sept 16th 15 x 35 sec hill reps with 3 mile warm up and 3 mile cool down. Left this till late evening and was starting to come out of the worst of the head cold. 3 mile warm-up @8:35 and then the hills - a nice steep one close to home and with street lights!. Happy with the hills as I was consistently hitting the same spot. 3 mile cool down at 8:26. Total 8.5 miles. Very happy with this and the legs felt they were getting a good workout!!

Thurs Sept 17th: 7 mile @ 8:24 avg pace. Another 6 am start and felt much easier than earlier in the week.

Fri Sept 18th:
    8 mile 6 easy last 2 @ 6:40 and 6:35 pace: Out early for this again and first 6 mile were nice and handy at 8:15 avg pace and last two at 6:41 and 6:34.

Sat Sept 19th Rest

Sun 20th Sept: 20 mile @ 7:23 avg pace. Plan had me down for 21 @ 7:25!

Out at 7:30 am for this after a bowl of porridge and planned a route that would take me past the car to get water after 14 miles. Just brought a gel with me. Was nervous of the distance so set out with aim of averaging 7:30 per mile. Weather was perfect with sun starting to break through the fog and not a gasp of wind. The first 10 miles ticked by and was working to keep pace down. Took a gel at 10mile and was starting to feel the need for it. Last mile back to car was mentally tough but once I got a bit of water on board I was ready to go again and after a few minutes was back in a nice rhythm. Mile 19 was a long slow drag which took a lot out of the legs and pace slowed. Was within sight of the car when 20miles beeped on the watch and couldn't convince the legs to run by the car again!. Splits were: 7:20;7:26;7:32;7:15;7:20;7:25; 7:16;7:27;7:23;7:20;7:14; 7:18; 7:25; 7:21; 7:24;7:!9;7:26; 7:41; 7:20. My previous longest run ever was 16 miles slowly so will take that.

Weekly Total: 56.5 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Good to see this log going again

Question...20 miles at 7.25? What's the target again?

Duanington wrote: »
    Good to see this log going again

Question...20 miles at 7.25? What's the target again?

Thanks DD - good to see you back logging again too and running consistently again.

Target is still very much a half marathon and lots of improvements to be made at that distant. I always ruled out doing a marathon (particularly in the short to medium term) but I will confess that I did check out what a marathon time would be for 7:23 average pace!! :eek::eek::eek:

I was half afraid the body would fall apart after 20 miles but feeling good today so far!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Thanks DD - good to see you back logging again too and running consistently again.

Target is still very much a half marathon and lots of improvements to be made at that distant. I always ruled out doing a marathon (particularly in the short to medium term) but I will confess that I did check out what a marathon time would be for 7:23 average pace!! :eek::eek::eek:

I was half afraid the body would fall apart after 20 miles but feeling good today so far!!

Nice, strong running - fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great to see another of the auld lads crawl back outta the sarcophagus :)

You’re flying it

TbL

So another weeks training done and unsurprisingly the legs were dead for much of the week after 20 miles at close to marathon pace (if I ever done a marathon :pac:) But managed a decent hills session, an ok tempo run and a 5k race so not the worst week.

Monday 21st September: 6 mile easy @ 8:43 on very heavy legs after the 20 miler. Just about squeezed this in after work. Ran from the house.

Tues 22nd September: 6 mile easy @ 8:46.
    The plan had me down for 9 miles easy but it was never going to be in the legs and it was also the young lads birthday so had to fit this in straight after work.

Wed 23rd Sept: 2 mile @ 6:20, 12x35sec hills, 2 miles @ 6:20 I missed two windows to run dealing with stuff at work so only had about 50 minutes to squeeze in a run after work before I took the young lad to a GAA blitz so moved things around a bit with the plan and figured I could just about fit this one in (alternative was a 10mile tempo). Started with 2 miles 6:19, 6:23 and then into the hills and was happy with the consistency of them especially as the hill I was using is very steep and was racing trucks that were labouring up it which kept it interesting!! I was on the footpath :D Last two miles 6:20; 6:22. Total: 7 miles. Goosed after this but really happy with it. And made young lads match with seconds to spare!!

Thurs 24th Sept: 8 miles @ 8:45 avg pace. Plan had me down for 7 mile easy but I felt guilty about the missing miles from Tuesday so squeezed in 8 miles straight after work on a hilly route!.

Friday 25th Sept: 10 mile tempo @ 6:50. So Wednesdays 10mile tempo was moved to today and was again a rush to squeeze it in. I've struggled to regulate the pace of these in the past and turn them into a slog but have got better at regulating the pace and easing into these over the last 12 months. But made a bit of a balls of this one and never settled into the right pace. More that the head was elsewhere than anything else. Third mile at 6:18 followed by the 4th at 6:39 really killed me and it turned into a right slog. Splits were 6:48;6:45; 6:18;6:39; 6:54;6:42; 6:52; 6:56; 7:01; 7:15 Toughest tempo run in a while and was just glad to get back to the car in one piece after this. Followed it up with a 1 hour circuits class.

Sat 26th Sept: Rest

Sunday 27th Sept: 6 miles with 5km county road championship 18:50.

It was county road championships today and thankfully it went ahead. Biggest crowd I've seen in years but unfortunately our club couldn't get a V1 masters team out with only 2 of us running. It was a tough course with lots of long drags and it turned out to be a more tactical race than I anticipated and I was about 30 metres behind the lead group for most of the race and was fairly comfortable there. Left it too late to pull in the lead group who finished very strong. Still managed to get a second place finish in my category and third overall. Time was 18:50 which I was happy enough with given the course profile and I finished strong. Was a bit more in the tank too even if the legs were heavy.

Splits 3:48;3:46;4:00;3:49;3:26

Weekly Total: 43 miles.

Next week I've masters cross country and looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So another weeks training done and unsurprisingly the legs were dead for much of the week after 20 miles at close to marathon pace (if I ever done a marathon :pac:) But managed a decent hills session, an ok tempo run and a 5k race so not the worst week.

Monday 21st September: 6 mile easy @ 8:43 on very heavy legs after the 20 miler. Just about squeezed this in after work. Ran from the house.

Tues 22nd September: 6 mile easy @ 8:46.
    The plan had me down for 9 miles easy but it was never going to be in the legs and it was also the young lads birthday so had to fit this in straight after work.

Wed 23rd Sept: 2 mile @ 6:20, 12x35sec hills, 2 miles @ 6:20 I missed two windows to run dealing with stuff at work so only had about 50 minutes to squeeze in a run after work before I took the young lad to a GAA blitz so moved things around a bit with the plan and figured I could just about fit this one in (alternative was a 10mile tempo). Started with 2 miles 6:19, 6:23 and then into the hills and was happy with the consistency of them especially as the hill I was using is very steep and was racing trucks that were labouring up it which kept it interesting!! I was on the footpath :D Last two miles 6:20; 6:22. Total: 7 miles. Goosed after this but really happy with it. And made young lads match with seconds to spare!!

Thurs 24th Sept: 8 miles @ 8:45 avg pace. Plan had me down for 7 mile easy but I felt guilty about the missing miles from Tuesday so squeezed in 8 miles straight after work on a hilly route!.

Friday 25th Sept: 10 mile tempo @ 6:50. So Wednesdays 10mile tempo was moved to today and was again a rush to squeeze it in. I've struggled to regulate the pace of these in the past and turn them into a slog but have got better at regulating the pace and easing into these over the last 12 months. But made a bit of a balls of this one and never settled into the right pace. More that the head was elsewhere than anything else. Third mile at 6:18 followed by the 4th at 6:39 really killed me and it turned into a right slog. Splits were 6:48;6:45; 6:18;6:39; 6:54;6:42; 6:52; 6:56; 7:01; 7:15 Toughest tempo run in a while and was just glad to get back to the car in one piece after this. Followed it up with a 1 hour circuits class.

Sat 26th Sept: Rest

Sunday 27th Sept: 6 miles with 5km county road championship 18:50.

It was county road championships today and thankfully it went ahead. Biggest crowd I've seen in years but unfortunately our club couldn't get a V1 masters team out with only 2 of us running. It was a tough course with lots of long drags and it turned out to be a more tactical race than I anticipated and I was about 30 metres behind the lead group for most of the race and was fairly comfortable there. Left it too late to pull in the lead group who finished very strong. Still managed to get a second place finish in my category and third overall. Time was 18:50 which I was happy enough with given the course profile and I finished strong. Was a bit more in the tank too even if the legs were heavy.

Splits 3:48;3:46;4:00;3:49;3:26

Weekly Total: 43 miles.

Next week I've masters cross country and looking forward to that.

Well done J, nice racing

TbL

• Advertisement

Monday 28th Sept: 7mile easy @ 7:44 avg pace Working from home today so put the runners on at lunchtime and headed out on an up and down route from the house. Legs were fresher than I expected.

Tuesday 29th Sept: 9 mile easy @ 7:47 avg pace Set the alarm for 5:30 and donned the gloves for an early morning run around Cavan Town. Again the legs were as fresh as daisies and the miles flew by.

Wednesday 30th Sept: 8 mile tempo @ 6:44 avg pace This is what I now consider both my favourite and most dreaded session of the week. I know the benefit and confidence boost I get from them but also know if I'm not prepared right that it will be a slugfest and torturous.

So headed out at lunchtime from the office and wanted to make sure I eased into the pace so kept a close eye on this for first mile and a bit. Started to wane at about 5 mile but got a second wind and finished reasonably comfortably. Target pace was 6:45 per mile so delighted to nail it!

Splits were: 6:49;6:44;6:46;6:42;6:49;6:38;6:44;6:39

Monthly Total: 184.9 miles A reasonably solid months work

So it's been a very strange October so far to say the least. On the 1st Got a call from a neighbour to say that they had tested positive for covid-19 and myself and the 2 kids would probably be considered close contacts. So immediately started limiting movements and waited to get tested. We got test results back on the Sunday for myself and 1 of the kids and they were negative but then got a call on the Tuesday to say young lad tested positive. Thankfully he's feeling fine and none of the rest of us have had any symptoms. Mrs B in B also tested negative since.

Not surprisingly running has taken a back seat and I've used it as a stress release as there is a fair bit of anxiety and lots of sleep being missed in the house. Also heard our neighbour went into hospital with it last night which shows what a horrible dangerous virus it is - he's the same age as me and also a runner.

We have another week to ten days left (providing things stay the same) so running will be mostly easy stuff as I really don't want to stress the system!

Thurs 1st Oct: 6 mile easy @ 8:05 avg pace -

Friday 2nd Oct: Rest

Sat 3rd Oct: 7.2 miles @ 8:23 avg pace - Handy run on some very rural back roads

Sun 4th Oct: Rest:

Weekly total: 37.2 miles

Mon 5th Oct: 7 miles @ 8:07 - after work run again on some very rural roads.

Tues 6th Oct: 6 mile @ 8:08 - another handy after work run

Wed 7th Oct: Rest

Thurs 8th Oct: Rest

Friday 9th Oct: 8 mile @ 8:10 avg pace - after work again

Sat 10th Oct: 6 miles with varying paces - avg 7:21 . Was feeling good so wanted to do something a bit quicker without taxing the body too much so just went with it. Splits 7:48; 7:41; 7:10; 7:05; 7:18; 6:59.

Sun 11th Oct: 7 miles @ 7:58 avg pace: handy early morning run on the forest trails - absolute bliss on deserted forest trails and never met a sinner. First time I relaxed since this started.

Weekly total: 34 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Best wishes to the neighbour and young lad. Can only imagine the anxiety levels associated with it.

Best wishes to the neighbour and young lad. Can only imagine the anxiety levels associated with it.

Thanks Dubh - appreciate that.

Monday 12th October: 7.2 miles @ 8:24 avg pace.

Nice and easy stress releasing run.

Tuesday 13th October: Rest

Wednesday 14th October: 6.1 mile @ 8:05 avg pace Another easy run after work. 2nd covid test for the family today.

Thursday 15th October: 8 mile @ 8:13 avg pace Another easy run after work following a familiar pattern.

Friday 16th October: 5 mile @ 8:31 A nice handy run. Test results back - all negative so isolation ends on Sunday!

Saturday 17th October: 7 mile @ 8:04 avg pace Handy run again

Sunday 18th October: 8.5 miles @ 7:44 Great to be back out and a glorious morning for a run. Ran around Cavan Town and the legs wanted to go a wee bit faster so just went with it.

Weekly total: 43.8 miles all easy running but happy to get the miles in the legs and even happier with a return to normality!!

Monday 19th October: 7 miles @ 8:45 avg pace. Had intended to be up at 5:30 to do this before work but was tired and hit the snooze button one time too many so ended up only getting out at 7am so down circuits of the village until it got bright enough to use the football pitch track.

Tuesday 20th October: 6 x1km @ 3:46 with 90 seconds recovery First session in a few weeks and I was nervous about it, not knowing how the legs would react. Ran down to local pitch track just as it was starting to get bright.

First one was tough as it took a while for the body to react to the quicker pace. 2,3 and 4 were all about maintaining control and good form. 5 & 6 were about hanging on for dear life!!

Splits were as follows:
    3:46
    3:37
    3:42
    3:44
    3:46
    3:47

Very happy with this and hitting the paces (well nearly on all :pac:)

Total: 5.5 miles

Wednesday21st Oct: Rest

Thursday 22nd Oct: 8 miles @ 7:55 avg pace. Back to the previous lockdown routine!!. Nice handy run on a fairly hilly route from the house. Had been aiming for 9 miles but misjudged the distance and ended up back at the house after 8 mile. Was lashing so left it at 8.

Friday 23rd October: 2 mile @ 6:15 pace / 3min jog 12 x 35 sec hills / 3 min jog/ 2 mile @ 6:15 pace.
    Love these runs and works out ok with the 5km limit as the GAA pitch track is at the bottom of my hill. Out straight after work for this. A slow run down to pitch track and then the 2 mile around the track. Splits 6:14; 6:16. Thankfully my usual hill is less than 3 minutes jog from the pitch and has street lights!
    Set the watch for 12 intervals of 35 seconds and zoned out just focussing on hitting the same spot each time. Happy that I consistently hit the same spot. Last 2 miles were 6:09 and 6:16. Finished with a slow jog back up the hill to home. Total 7.9 miles

Saturday 24th October: 7 miles @ 8:40 avg pace - nice and handy run from the house in the late evening so ended up with lots of laps of the pitch!! See a lot of this in my future for the next few weeks.

Sunday 25th October: 6 mile 7:00, 6:50, 6:40,6:35,6:30,6:25. Once again down to the gaa pitch for this and a bit apprehensive as I usually make a balls of these types of runs. Had been doing manual labour for the day and on the previous day so the body was feeling creaky. A slow jog down to the pitch helped loosen me up a bit and was feeling good once I got going - first one was of course too fast!! Splits were as follows: 6:48;6:50; 6:32;6:26; 6:16; 6:15. Total 7 miles.

Weekly total: 41.9 miles

Monday 26th October: 9 miles @ 8:20 avg pace. Nice and handy trot keeping within the 5km which meant loads of laps of the local gaa pitch. See lots of this in my future but it's all good!! Had downloaded Springsteen's new album so the laps zoomed by as I zoned out.

Tuesday 27th October: 5 mile easy @ 8:00 avg pace Had to move things around to get a run in. Meant to be a tempo run today but hit the treadmill for 5 miles instead.

Wednesday 28th October: 7 mile with 6 at tempo - 3 @6:40, 3@ 6:35 Out at lunchtime for this from the house and headed down to the gaa pitch track (the one with no hill!!) It makes these tempo runs a wee bit easier but I'm stuck for alternatives with the 5km limit. Splits were as follows: 6:27; 6:34; 6:33; 6:25; 6:23;6:31. Went with the quicker paces to compensate for the flat track.

Felt comfortable so delighted with that.

Thursday 29th October: Rest
    Planned rest day

Friday 7 mile with 8x1km @ 3:42 with 80 sec recovery
    Did a bit of a double take when I seen this on the plan, knowing it would be a real toughie. Got out straight after work on Friday evening and down to the GAA pitch track again for this. Slow jog down loosened the legs and got stuck in as dark was falling. Aside from the first one where the legs were struggling to loosen up, the first few felt good and strong and once these were in the legs it was just a matter of keeping going and keeping the effort honest. Last 3 were tough and sometimes it was hard to keep the legs moving!!

Splits were as follows:
    3:48
    3:40
    3:39
    3:41
    3:39
    3:40

Absolutely delighted with that!

Saturday 31st Oct: 6 miles @ 8:54 pace. I was an emotional wreck heading out for this straight after watching Cavan beat Monaghan in an epic battle. Kept the pace nice and handy.

Monthly Total: 159.7 miles

Super session and a good bit of progression from the 6x1km you done the previous week.

Super session and a good bit of progression from the 6x1km you done the previous week.

Cheers - yes very happy with the step up and managed it comfortably enough!

• Advertisement

New month = new plan!

Monday 2nd November: 7 mile 6easy last 1 @ 6:20 pace 7 mile with last one @ 6:25 avg pace. I was later than planned out doing this so headed up to the GAA pitch track with the hills as it has floodlights. First 6 miles were all under 8 min pace. Picked up the pace for last mile but wasn't checking the watch so went with what I thought was 6:20 pace - not a million miles off :P

Tues 3rd November: 8 mile @ 8:48 avg pace Headed out straight after work on a fairly lumpy makey up route as it was getting dark. Zoned out listening to a podcast and kept it nice and handy.

Wed 4th November: 7 mile @ 8:21 avg pace:
    My original plan was to do a tempo run at lunchtime around the GAA pitch (with no hills!!) but when I got down to it there was about 200 school kids wandering around it on lunchbreak, so abandoned that plan and just done a handy 7 mile easy instead. The 5km limit is really messing with my tempo runs as it's just too hilly around me to do a proper tempo run.

Thurs 5th November: 9 mile with 8 @ tempo pace. Set the alarm for early and got out the door. A slow jog down to the GAA pitch with no hills and got stuck in - took a few laps to loosen up and get into a proper rhythm. Want to quit from about 4 mile in but dug in and kept going. Splits for the tempo sections were as follows:
    6:36
    6:38
    6:42
    6:44
    6:43
    6:46
    6:42
    6:38

Happy out with that!

Fri 6th Nov: Rest

Sat 7th Nov: 2 mile @ 6:20 pace / 3min rec/ 10 x 400meters in82 with 50 sec rec

Waited until the Cavan game was over to head out for this - same GAA pitch track again. Body was feeling fresh after the day's rest.

First two miles in 5:59; 6:11

Splits for 400mtrs were:

I was blowing hard after these but delighted to get it done. Following with a slow jog back home.

Total: 6 miles

Sunday 8th November: 12 mile easy @ 8:14 avg pace - nice and handy long run in cracking running weather exploring my 5km radius!

Weekly total: 51 miles - happy with a good solid weeks work.

Advertisement