Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3/4g trail camera

Options
  • 14-05-2018 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all looking to buy a 3g trail camera
    The latest models can now send you sms messages when your camera has been activated. Even sends pics and videos to your email.

Considering buying 1 to scope out deer movements any1 got any experience with them?

Also would help with identifying if the land in hunting is being poached🀔

These are selling for approx 100 euro...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292542702140

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I've used this model here for the last couple of seasons. Shop on DHGate and you can pick it up for about 25 euros and free postage from China.
    They will work with the Irish METEOR sim cards, trying to programme them with any otherSIM is a huge major PITH. Setting them up is simple enough, and you do have to spend a few hours goofing around with the programme on your computer just to learn what it can do, but once you have it installed, they do work well. You will get them to send pics by SMS to your phone or email, but not video, you still,or at least I did, have to download it from the card. Night capability is very good,I have caught bats on NV video with these.

Now the bad features...They are weather and water resistant, not water and weatherproof. You can dry them out a couple of times on a heater and they will keep working,but eventually, they will die after about 3 seasons if they are stuck out in our Irish weather. So plan for them to be expendable as they will get wet and eventually quit. Direct sunlight can trigger them, or temp changes.I have many lovely shots of sunlight playing over empty fields with nothing to show sent to my email. Battery life is around 14 days with Nicads,and I would recommend the solar panel/battery pak accessory. Gives you about 24 days, depending.

If you can live with those handicaps,they aren't a bad little unit,but I wouldn't pay the outrageous prices people are looking for them here.250 euros plus??GTFOH!:rolleyes: Inc a few pics so you can see the quality.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

Thanks Grizzly for the tips  much appreciated  :) 
    Nice Pics !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Grizzly. What is the cost of running the trail camera. As in getting emails of pictures. Which model is it Grizzly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I usually just topped it up with a tenner when it went down.It was about 40c[?]cents per pic message You can set it to how many pics it takes a day and the time of the video clips etc.
    Model is a SUNTEK Scoutgaurd 300M.But they can be sold under generic names, despite probably all coming out of the same factory.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement