Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New toilets in Cahir. A godawful sight

• 14-05-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

What kind of a monstrosity is that thing they're coming close to finishing in Cahir to replace the old public toilets? It's brutal. Does not fit in anywhere in the town. I'm told that the plans featured in The Nationalist for a month, and there was no objections. I haven't bought The Nationalist ( or pretty well any other newspaper ) in years, so never saw it myself.

It's hideous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

It's hideous.
    I think that is an over statement regarding Cahir Town.
    Its rather nice, and when there on business, I time it so I can relax in one of the coffee shops in the town.

Regarding your view on the public restrooms, well I assume they are near the Castle.
    Planning permission has to be published for all "Locals" to review and bring their comments to them to review. Are you annoyed that you did not see this in the local papers ?

What dont you like about the toilets ?
    Is it the colour, the facilities themselves, the toilet paper provided ?
    Is there a cost, a charge to use the facilities ?

Can you explain please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thought the same myself - Looks like Dermot Bannon designed it . .

They aren't fully finished yet tho

PacMan wrote: »
    Its rather nice, and when there on business, I time it so I can relax in one of the coffee shops in the town.

Regarding your view on the public restrooms, well I assume they are near the Castle.
    Planning permission has to be published for all "Locals" to review and bring their comments to them to review. Are you annoyed that you did not see this in the local papers ?

Can you explain please ?

The colour is bad - Dark grey.

Design is ugly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Can you explain please ?

I'm not talking about the town. Talking about the public toilets. You obviously haven't seen it. It's in no way in character with anything in the town. It's much closer looking a ship than a castle or anything Irish. And it is near the castle. It's where the old toilets were.

I'm not annoyed at anything other than the look of it. I'll take a pic when I get the chance and you might get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

callaway92 wrote: »
    The colour is bad - Dark grey.

Design is ugly

And it's cladding. Grey cladding.

What it looks like is some architect wanted to make a building that's off the wall, quirky, and totally theirs, so they can say to their architect buddies, "Yeah, I designed this masterpiece".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Any pics?

Looks grand so far. I like the construction of the roof!
    Cahir%20Toilets%20Construction.jpg?itok=UFcq0D2z

Oh, it's much closer to completion than that now. From your pic it looks pretty normal.

That's the most recent one I can find online though.

so far, the complaint is just an opinion of an unfinished building which received full planning permission and the plans etc were published on local newspapers ?

Did I get that bit correct ?

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Looks grand so far. I like the construction of the roof!
    Cahir%20Toilets%20Construction.jpg?itok=UFcq0D2z

Totally different to that now

I took a few pictures of it today. I've tried and failed to embed the pics here so all I can do for now is attach them here.

so far, the complaint is just an opinion of an unfinished building which received full planning permission and the plans etc were published on local newspapers ?

Did I get that bit correct ?

Have a look at those pictures. If you don't get what I'm saying then I can't help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Oh my God, that looks horrendous.

Wouldn't you love to throw it up on a trailer and plant it in the architect's front garden for three months, then each council official , then start again.

Perhaps not all the angles are depicted in your photos, but I cannot imagine it having any redeeming feature, other than whilst using it you can't see how hideous it is.

How do these people get to **** up towns like that.

council doing a similar pile of **** near me. Lovely tree lined park, and they're building what can best be described as a concrete bunker after removing the trees. 320 houses signed a petition not to do it, but they went ahead - well, they're going ahead. Maybe they'll run out of money because more pressing and useful projects are waiting to be done. (yeah, right!).

I didn't take any pics from behind. It's as you'd expect. I hope they don't build that bunker near you. It'd be terrible to put something inappropriate to the scenery up, especially when not needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It looks like a charging rhino... Why the horn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I kinda like it.

Have a look at those pictures. If you don't get what I'm saying then I can't help you

Oh Dear, you should have posted the pics in the first instance.
    The view of the new restrooms from the street view, makes it look dreadful.
    How correct you are and well done for bringing this to our attention.

Oh Dear, you should have posted the pics in the first instance.
    The view of the new restrooms from the street view, makes it look dreadful.
    How correct you are and well done for bringing this to our attention.

Yeah, I probably should have posted the pictures first. Didn't think of it. I took a pic of the castle and the tourist office in the background to show how out of place it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I also like it, sorry OP. It is better than the tourist office anyway. I like the gray, also quite castley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I was prepared to scoff, not at the building but at the conservatism regarding it. Then I saw it.

Ludicrous. And it will date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Relax everybody, it will draw people to the town. To see the most hideous dreadful public toilet probably in the entire world. Simply horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

It's kind of cool but it doesn't belong there. Are you sure aliens didn't land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Cahir was always a pleasant stop when travelling from north Leinster to West Cork and the children could run around the castle grounds. Such a hideous structure would have me thinking twice about stopping. How did it get past planning? I have no problem with modern structures but the placing of this near the castle and the well preserved streetscape is a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Horrific.

Someone got paid to design that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not belonging there, is its chief offence. Now, the generic design and colour scheme used on Fire Brigade Station countrywide, is plain ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I wonder who will take responsibility for this visual nightmare? Will any dignitary be available to perform the opening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Before the next election, there definitely will be an opening splash/slash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

There was an April Fools doing the rounds that they mixed up the plans for Cahir toilets with Helvic, so Cahir got a boat-shaped toilet, and Helvic got one resembling a castle. Entirely believable tbh.

They've been taking the proverbial with how long its taking to finish. Feels like they've been at it for 6 months at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

wow, that really does look brutal alright.

There's probably buildings on the Gaza strip that look in better shape than that!

Advertisement