Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second job in the Dublin area. Evenings/weekend.

Options
  • 15-05-2018 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

My girlfriend and I are currently saving for a deposit on a house and I’ve been contemplating getting a second job to help with the savings. I work 9-5 Monday to Friday and was wondering if anyone has experience of working jobs like this in the Dublin area. Recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Comments

LUDublin wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I are currently saving for a deposit on a house and I’ve been contemplating getting a second job to help with the savings. I work 9-5 Monday to Friday and was wondering if anyone has experience of working jobs like this in the Dublin area. Recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Before you do anything check that your contract doesn't state anything regarding getting a second job. I've had a clause in more than one of my previous contracts forbidding taking on additional regular work(as in working somewhere else).

Also research how much you should expect to get and how many hours you'd be willing to work. It may turn out not to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Helping.com if you don't mind cleaning. Retail otherwise I would have though.

Don't overestimate how knackering it is to work 7 days.

Best of luck with saving for the new place!

Check with local takeaways etc, for jobs as a delivery driver

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Check with local takeaways etc, for jobs as a delivery driver

Technically you're meant to change your insurance for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Try the telephone market research companies, most of them have shifts from 5.30 to 9 and also at weekends daytime. I wouldnt say they pay much though, maybe 11 an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Be careful with the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I work full time mon-fri and did some evening work with C&C as an usher in the 3arena. The company is based in Tallaght.
    The work can be scarce over the summer as most concerts are outdoors but picks up after then.
    Hope that helps. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Firstly I would suggest you try to reduce your expenditure to see if that can help you with your savings. I understand you may already be doing this, but could you go further? For example, you could kill two birds with one stone: give up alcohol and take up jogging. You'll save money and get fit.

Regarding a second job, I'm not sure what would work best for you - something in an office or something physical?

If you would prefer something in an office, I would go down the call centre route. There are lots of call centres who need part-time staff. I would do something like this: go through all the call-centre jobs on https://dublinjobs.ie/call-centre-jobs-Dublin and contact each one individually. Ask if they need part-time staff.

If you would prefer something physical, I would go to all the restaurants / bars / etc. in your area and ask if they are looking for any part-time people. Bring a one page version of your CV so they have some way to contact you.

Good luck!

Advertisement