Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction from film forum

Options
  • 15-05-2018 8:06am

Yesterday, I received a PM from Film Forum mod telling me that I had received an infraction for posts on this forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057764114&page=27

The infracted post reads "Why not use the ignore button if you are unable to discuss the film in an adult manner. Save you getting upset when someone isn't as in awe of a film as you are."

The mod advised me in his infraction email to dispute the sanction here.

Nothing in that post is an attack or an insult, merely pointing out to a user that they are free to ignore me if they find my opinion so offensive. Plenty of people post similar things all the time and nothing is said or done then.

Not once in the thread did I attack a poster, I attacked the post as per the guidelines. It appears that mods believe that the word fanboy is somewhat offensive and seems banned from being used on the forums, this is all well and good but if a word such as fanboy is not allowed to be used as it is seen as bullying then this should be stated and called out. What other words are banned?

It's a pretty common word and refers to an obsessive love of something, which was demonstrated repeatedly in that thread. Part of the modern cancer of fandom is the way in which all discussion that diverts from the "OMG THIS WAS AMAZING" is pounced upon and picked apart by those who love something, that thread is a great example. Rather than discuss the film most of the post in response to me were picking it apart and saying I have some agenda. I don't, I just felt that it was an average film. The Last Jedi thread at Christmas is another example, multiple posters attacked any criticism fo the film with things like "you must hate women you sexist" and it went unchecked for quite some time, so much so that I just unsubscribed from the thread. It's got to the point on boards where if you are not in awe of the new Disney film then don't bother posting unless you want to be attacked.

There is a reason that so few of the known posters of old no longer post on boards, the oversensitive nature of posters who get up in arms when you don't love the pop culture they do and the way that discussion on boards is on many forums almost dead as users instead think they are god's gift to wit and try to get a dig in.

This infraction here is heavy-handed and unnecessary, I attacked the post and not the poster, hell the last infracted post was me simply informing a user who told me not to post anymore as he didn't like to read them that he didn't have. If anything I was being helpful.

I don't expect much from this, but I would like a little fairness. Twice I have been infracted in recent months, the first time after a user followed me across multiple threads insulting me and when they were reported for it on one forum nothing was done about it, he was left to follow me and reply with an insult to every post I made.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The mod advised me in his infraction email to dispute the sanction here.
    Just to be clear the "infraction email" automatically provides a link to this forum. However the first step in the dispute process is to attempt to resolve your dispute directly with the mod via PM. I take it you have not responded to the PM notifying you of the infraction? If you have not already responded to the mod could you please do so and see if it is possible to resolve this directly

Thanks

I did PM the mod, quite angrily at first, it must be said. From the PM I got the impression that if I want to appeal I am to do so here. In the PMs from the mod I was told I can appeal if I want and based on it I assume I am to take it here.

Also, the link to appeal in the email actually links to Prison Forum.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies for that link. We were aware of it some time ago, but I thought it had been sorted. I'll drop a note to the office to have a look.

Has the mod responded to your PM? As I said the initial PM notifying the infraction should not be considered the end of the discussion with the mod. It's actually the start of such a discussion and that process needs to be completed. If they have responded and you have reached an impasse I'll ask a CMod to look at this for you

Thanks

Beasty wrote:
    Has the mod responded to your PM? As I said the initial PM notifying the infraction should not be considered the end of the discussion with the mod. It's actually the start of such a discussion and that process needs to be completed. If they have responded and you have reached an impasse I'll ask a CMod to look at this for you

No worries, I'll reach out to them again. Not even that concerned with it, just one of those heat of the moment on a bad day things. If it can't be reversed it's not the end of the world.

Hey I got a reply back from the mod stating "As I said, in this case I very much felt your tone and approach across numerous posts was unnecessarily combative, sarcastic and aggressive, and it was significantly disrupting the thread - and the bickering continued on past a second mod warning (the other poster involved has also been carded). I'm afraid I have to stick by my original infraction, but very much hope you continue contributing to the forum."

I don't believe that I was aggressive or combative, sure a little sarcastic at times but does sarcasm really deserve an infraction. I never once attacked a poster, as I freely admit I attacked the post and there may have been one or two somewhat sarcastic comments but nothing to warrant the action taken. Sure I may be passionate about film and my opinion but is that not what discussion forums are about.

• Advertisement

OK, I'll ask a CMod to have a look a this for you

Coool, thanks. It's not the end of the world or anything, I just feel it's a little unfair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will take a look into this.

Can you send me a copy of the PM's between yourself and the forum mods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks for the PM's

I am away this week and have only intermittent net access so it may take a while to look into the background.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Thanks for the PM's

I am away this week and have only intermittent net access so it may take a while to look into the background.

No rush, take your time.

• Advertisement

I have had a look at the post and discussed this issue with the Moderator involved.

It seems that this infraction has been applied not just for that particular post but more it being representative of a posting style, on which you have been previously warned. That is why the other poster was given a Warning and you an Infraction.

What I would like to propose is that the Infraction be reduced to a Warning on condition that you agree to tone down the aggression in your posting style.

Let me know if that is acceptable.

Yeah I'll go along with that.

Thanks

This can be marked as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement