Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple one ?

• 15-05-2018 8:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Simple one I can't get my head around .
    Bonzo the u10s football manager has a 9 a side match that's 40 minutes long 20 minutes a side
    He has 14 players and each one has to have the same amount of time on the field to keep all the mammies and daddies happy
    How do you work out exactly how long each player gets while always having 9 players on the field

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I say

11 blocks of 40 mins is 440 mins available to all the players

So 440 ÷ 14 = 31.43 mins each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Where did the 11 blocks come from ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Give two blocks of five players a half each, and then play the other four best for the whole game

:D

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Give two blocks of five players a half each, and then play the other four best for the whole game

:D

Believe me that's what I want to do but the sh1t storm that follows is not worth it .
    I just can't get my head around dividing the time up equally and keeping 9 on the field at all times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

I think you divide 40 by the number of combinations. Your combinations would be 14! / (9! x 5!)

I dont have a calc handy to work out the factorials.

Look up permutations and combinations.

Edit - this should give you the time intervals between each substitution. And I now think this is completely wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

25.71 minutes each. Btw, Moms not mammies

I say

11 blocks of 40 mins is 440 mins available to all the players

So 440 ÷ 14 = 31.43 mins each

Apologies.

11 should be 9.

Assumed it was 11 a side game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

There's 360 player minutes available
    You have 14 players.
    That's 360/14 which is between 25 and 26 minutes each.

Tell the parents to cop on though if this is a real scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alan.p22

I think you would multiply the 9 players by the 40 min match time 360 mins available then divide by 14 players you have equals 25.71 mins per player

Agree with Alan above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tell the parents to cop on.
    Give each player a decent period of time on the pitch.

Thanks lads
    Common sense will prevail in the real world just about though.
    But just knew there was some way of applying maths to the pfoblem.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Thanks lads
    Common sense will prevail in the real world just about though.
    But just knew there was some way of applying maths to the pfoblem.
    Cheers

The real difficulty is getting players on and off to achieve 25 mins each! I'd say so long as every player gets a half you're set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you're prepared to makes substitutions every 5 mins, you could do this:
    Start with:
    ABCDEFGHI. After 5 mins, A and B go off and J and K come on, so you have:
    CDEFGHIJK. After 10 mins, C and D go off and L and M come on, so you have:
    EFGHIJKLM. After 15 mins, E goes off and N comes on, so you have:
    FGHIJKLMN. After 20 mins (half-time), F and G go off and A and B come back on, so you have:
    HIJKLMNAB. After 25 mins, H and I come off and C and D come back on, so you have:
    JKLMNABCD. After 30 mins, J and K come off and E and F come back on, so you have:
    LMNABCDEF. After 35 mins, L goes off and G comes back on, so you have:
    MNABCDEFG.

Everyone has then had 25 minutes, and two have had 30 (M and F).

To remember it, you're taking two off every five mins except for the last substitution of each half, where you just take one. And you bring people back on in the same order you took them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

To throw a spanner... how many goalkeepers do you have? If you only have 1 or 2 goalkeepers then that will change the calculations.

In practical terms, I would be looking to achieve it over a number of games as well. But a fairly pratical solution could be achieved easy enough in 1 game. Assuming parents don't have their stopwatches out.

Assuming 2 keepers: play one each half. They need to be looked at in isolation. 20 mins each.

Leaving you with 12 outfield players who should get (8 outfield positions × 40mins = 320 mins / 12 =) 26.66 mins per game.

8 outfielders start (ABCD,EFGH), 4 outfielders on bench (IJKL).

ABCD substituted off at 15 mins for IJKL
    IJKL play remainder = 25 mins each.

EFGH substituted off at 30 mins for ABCD
    EFGH will have played 30 mins
    ABCD will have played 25 mins

It would only take 3 games and a few rotations of your 3 groups of 4 to achieve the exact same time for all outfielders.

If you only have 1 Keeper, convert another one fast:)
    It's a lot easier to work with 3 groups of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

The mathematical answer is 25.71 minutes each as people have already pointed out but the way to achieve that as pointed out in the last 2 posts is too complicated and disruptive in the real world.

What you could do to get a real world solution and to have your team remain competitive is to pick the 4 best players in your team and leave them on for the entire 40 minutes (one of these should be the goalkeeper if you have a good goalie who is happy to stay in goal the whole time).

That leaves 10 players who you should divide into 2 groups of 5 of equal strength. Play one of the groups of 5 in the first half along with your 4 core players to make up your team of 9 and then sub them off these 5 at half time for the 2nd group of 5. This will mean that all of your squad will get at least 20 minutes on the pitch and you won't be constantly time watching trying to figure out when to bring people off and on.

Advertisement