Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't more people cycle to work?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

But by all accounts he was riding along at a fairly decent clip; the golf bag proving stable enough trailing behind him.

Its stability may be tested in a strong crosswind or on a windy descent, of course. And we’re not sure we’d be wild about towing a golf bag up a climb.

Think that's the Tavoy, linked upthread, which is a knock-off of the Bike-hod. My experience of the Bike-hod is that it's perfectly stable in cross winds and the like, and rock solid for carrying a weekly shop, but carrying an acoustic guitar you have to be careful. If you hit a pothole or bump, the trailer can start hopping from wheel to wheel, with the head of the guitar swinging left and right like an inverted pendulum. If the pendulum motion gets out of hand, the trailer will turn on its side and scrape along the ground. The contents are fine though, just the trailer gets scraped up. You can fix this by putting some ballast in the bottom, and using lower tyre pressure. His set-up in the photo looks nicely heavy at the base.

Not sure whether golf clubs are as top heavy as acoustic guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I know him. He did RAI last year.
    That's not a defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lumen wrote: »
    No good can come from golf.

If a golfer starts cycling, cycling is the new golf, and that's bad.

If a cyclist starts playing golf, they're playing golf, and that's bad.

RIP

EDIT: Just spotted the previous page
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dd4AxetU8AAm64q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Not a chance I'd have my golf bag on a trailer like that :o

A golf bag could have €1500 in it easy enough, I'd be a nervous wreck. I've recently sold all my golf gear though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A golf bag could have €1500 in it easy enough, I'd be a nervous wreck. I've recently sold all my golf gear though

This is a cycling forum...€1500 wouldn't even get you a descent set of wheels! :)

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=242543;menu=1000,4,123,30;mid=0;pgc=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Rrreeeeeally? Is that where you keep it? Hmmmmm!

One of my guitars is worth a lot more than €1500.

EDIT: Actually two of them, now I think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

tomasrojo wrote: »
    One of my guitars is worth a lot more than €1500.

EDIT: Actually two of them, now I think about it!

Do you tow them on a trailer? My guitar is stored in a flight case in the house. Rarely comes out these days though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just back to the whole showering thing - finally got around to refitting the pannier rack earlier in the week and first commute with it yesterday. I'd forgotten what a difference it makes in terms of sweating (and general comfort). I was taking it easy, but definitely would've got away with a baby wipe/ flannel wash down with that compared to the ruck sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Do you tow them on a trailer? My guitar is stored in a flight case in the house. Rarely comes out these days though :(

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/997837806901911553

• Advertisement

I did for years, in a hard case in the trailer, though just for unamplified performances, especially when I was trying to perform my programme getting ready for a fellowship, and was playing to any group of people who'd listen. For teaching and amplified gigs I have a cheaper electro-acoustic.

I switched eventually to using a Brompton and inverting the trailer hitch to get a lower-riding arrangement, which totally gets rid of the pendulum effect.

I now mostly use a BackAxe harness to carry guitars in a hard case on my back. It's just easier not having to find somewhere to stow the Brompton and the trailer when I get there. Or I use the bakfiets.

I was reluctant initially to take guitars out on the bike, but I won't get much use out of them if I don't get out, and the trailer actually has always taken all the abuse. Never got a scratch on the guitar case, let alone the guitar.

If someone crashes into me, I think the integrity of the guitar will be lower down on my priorities than my integrity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Cycling against the traffic on a unicycle with a sign strapped to your back playing a harmonica, what could possibly go wrong?

Advertisement