Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't more people cycle to work?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

My big perception (correct me if wrong) is that pannier bags make the bike feel much bulkier, making it harder to fit through tight spots, etc - hence I prefer the backpack. Is this wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

My big perception (correct me if wrong) is that pannier bags make the bike feel much bulkier, making it harder to fit through tight spots, etc - hence I prefer the backpack. Is this wrong?
    I used them when I worked in the Netherlands, and never really thought about them. They only really felt bulky after a 'big shop'. Bringing laptop and notepads and change of clothes to work, I far preferred the panniers than the backpack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Unless you're putting duffel bags on both sides they won't be any wider than the handlebars in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Steoller wrote: »
    I used them when I worked in the Netherlands, and never really thought about them. They only really felt bulky after a 'big shop'. Bringing laptop and notepads and change of clothes to work, I far preferred the panniers than the backpack.

Backpack = sweaty back. Not fun, especially on a cold or wet morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Would you consider a pannier instead of a car for your "Laundry Day"? This means I get to cycle 5 days a week...

No because I also cycle/Race on Saturdays and Sundays! I need at least One day of rest!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

GreeBo wrote: »
    Then add in having to cycle home only to drive back to where my after work activities are with the equipment I need for them, just delays me more.
    what is it about your after work activities which means you can't cycle home after? 5-a-side? after work pints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Regarding the rain I have to echo what others have said in that is rarely that bad. I actually find it's more the wind that bothers me, especially a headwind. Seems to be something I'm battling most days to some extent recently whereas my rain gear gets used maybe once or twice a month. I keep a spare set of jeans at work but also bought over trousers to keep myself dry so I don't have to change when I get to work.

Cue a tropical monsoon this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

I used to drive from Dublin (Tallaght) to Athlone everyday for work. It cost me a bloody fortune between tolls and diesel. After changing to working in Dublin City Centre, this is now somewhat of a luxury for me. I get to cycle 12km each way every day with a big bloody smile on my face because i'm not stuck in a shagging car spending a fcuking fortune.

Having said that, i'd probably get to Athlone quicker than the city centre if i was driving.

Probably going to move to Tallaght(ish) soon and looking like cycling is going to be the best option. We'll be on the west side of Tymon park and altogether it's about 10km to my office at Pearse street. Going at a decent nick that should be about half an hour. Compared to cycling 10 mins to get to Kingswood Luas, sitting on the tram for *longer* than it takes to cycle, then cycling down to the office from Bus Aras, it seems like a no brainer. The *only* reservation I have is the cycling infrastructure between the two points. I think it should be good, but my experience last year of cycling just 5km to work and back each day left me with very little trust in Dublin drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No because I also cycle/Race on Saturdays and Sundays! I need at least One day of rest!
    ....not to mention that you'd also have to fit an ugly rack on one of your beautiful bikes! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

what is it about your after work activities which means you can't cycle home after? 5-a-side? after work pints?

Golf clubs & bag :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks for the pannier comments, in my case I will be using the grand canal path, and some sicko :pac: put a weird access gate/barrier at inchicore , it should take a pannier on one side but will need to check if one either side is ok

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Golf clubs & bag :)
    paging tomasrojo!

silverharp wrote: »
    ....and some sicko :pac: put a weird access gate/barrier at inchicore...
    Would you prefer to be sharing it with horses/motorcycles/quads etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

paging tomasrojo!

How well you know me!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikehod.com%2FComponents%2FImages%2Fbike-hod%2Fbikehod.jpg&f=1
    Bike-hod is probably the most golf-club-friendly of the general-use trailers. Can take off the standard Carradice bag and make it look like below (which is specifically for golf clubs):

side_view800__pop-up.jpg

Might be usable to bring your clubs around the green. Not sure how self-image and etiquette work in the golf world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

homer911 wrote:
    Putting weather and safety aside, the most significant reason for not cycling has got to be fitness level

Ironic being put of by the thing that solves the reason of being put off...
    Came into town this morning on my bike. A bright yellow jacket and a plonker in a car who decides to turn left without indicating or looking in his side mirror. To say it was close is an understatement.

Takes experience to be able to safely judge these all too often scenarios unfortunately.
    Dublin Bus drivers for the most part I find observant and with a willingness to share the infrastructure. Of the different full time drivers regularly frequently the city centre (hgv's not as frequent any longer since the port tunnel) they're the only collective group of professional standard.

Have to agree. DB drivers are extremely considerate and I'd say, at times ultra patient, with cyclists left and right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

_brendand_ wrote: »
    Probably going to move to Tallaght(ish) soon and looking like cycling is going to be the best option. We'll be on the west side of Tymon park and altogether it's about 10km to my office at Pearse street. Going at a decent nick that should be about half an hour. Compared to cycling 10 mins to get to Kingswood Luas, sitting on the tram for *longer* than it takes to cycle, then cycling down to the office from Bus Aras, it seems like a no brainer. The *only* reservation I have is the cycling infrastructure between the two points. I think it should be good, but my experience last year of cycling just 5km to work and back each day left me with very little trust in Dublin drivers.

I'm coming from close to Firhouse, through Kimmage and over Harolds Cross to get to just over the northside. It isn't too bad all the way in until Harolds Cross bridge itself.

It's handy being able to hop on and go straight out the door, rather than having to walk to the bus, go through the bus trip and then have to walk from the bus home.

The bus is very depressing in the winter. :mad:

tomasrojo wrote: »
    How well you know me!

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bikehod.com%2FComponents%2FImages%2Fbike-hod%2Fbikehod.jpg&f=1
    Bike-hod is probably the most golf-club-friendly of the general-use trailers. Can take off the standard Carradice bag and make it look like below (which is specifically for golf clubs):

side_view800__pop-up.jpg

Might be usable to bring your clubs around the green. Not sure how self-image and etiquette work in the golf world.
    #
    My bag is huge and also would end up in tatters.

It also weighs 25KG :)
    Add in shoes, shower gear and yet another change of clothes and I promise I will wave to you as a I drive past! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I used to cycle into work frequently a 30k round trip to Dublin city centre each day. I stopped for the below reasons:

1 - I didn't feel safe, I had a good few near misses
    2 - it ended up costing me more money than i had planned (punctures, tyres, garmin 810 smashed one day)
    3 - The weather and transporting work clothes trying to keep them dry
    4 - It actually put me off cycling, I started to dread cycling as I didn't look at it the same way. I cycle more than ever now and don't commute to work by bike.

#
    My bag is huge and also would end up in tatters.

It also weighs 25KG :)
    Add in shoes, shower gear and yet another change of clothes and I promise I will wave to you as a I drive past! :P

I don't get the "tatters" point, but I think you underestimate how much you can carry comfortably in a trailer:
    419763.jpg

(The Bike-hod is rated for 50kg, IIRC. I've carried more though, in both trailers I have.)

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't get the "tatters" point
    Because lugging it in a trailer in all weathers 3+ times a week probably wouldn't be good for the bag.

Also, there would be a lot of loose/moving items in a bag like that.

As a kid I just threw my bag over my shoulder and cycled, but I have sense now :D

You just strap things down with rubber cords or straps, or push padding into the bag. It's really not an issue. Or, at least, it's never been an issue for me.

I'd definitely do it in your place, but I rather enjoy figuring out ways to carry unusual things by bike. Also, a lot of people I imagine wouldn't want to get known around the golf club as an eccentric. It's too late for me.

Because lugging it in a trailer in all weathers 3+ times a week probably wouldn't be good for the bag....
    You play golf 3 times a week after work? Even in winter? Do they have flood lit courses now? (Unless of course, you work nights).

You play golf 3 times a week after work? Even in winter? Do they have flood lit courses now? (Unless of course, you work nights).

Driving range during winter.
    Summer could be 5 nights a week, or, often before work.
    Sometimes both! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

joey100 wrote: »
    'Free / low cost car parks 3-5km outside the city centre, once you park you have free access to city bikes and public transportation.'

This is what I would love to see, maybe even a bit further out would work too. I'm a little too far out to commute every day, and when I try to combine it with my own training it just wouldn't work. I'd love to be able to cycle in more regularly, something like that about 10-15km out from the city would be perfect. I'd even pay a few euro for it.

Surely that's what all the shopping centres on the M50 are for, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Would ye not take up a decent sport... like Cycling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Surely that's what all the shopping centres on the M50 are for, no?

2 or 3 hour parking limit in a lot of those places, so not applicable really...

"Cycling isn’t a game, it's a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices. One plays football, or tennis, or GOLF. One doesn’t play at cycling."

;)

http://www.azquotes.com/quote/812752

07Lapierre wrote: »
    "Cycling isn’t a game, it's a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices. One plays football, or tennis, or GOLF. One doesn’t play at cycling."

;)

http://www.azquotes.com/quote/812752

Notbaly he actually said "or Hockey" in his quote, since golf is actually a hella tuff sport.

And if you think it doesnt require sacrifice, you clearly havent had to tell your wife that you are playing on Sunday even though you just came home from golf on Saturday night at 6pm when you left at 9am...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No good can come from golf.

If a golfer starts cycling, cycling is the new golf, and that's bad.

If a cyclist starts playing golf, they're playing golf, and that's bad.

Advertisement