Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to take time off school for mental health reasons?

Options
  • 15-05-2018 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge of this.
    My DD aged 15 is in third year, coming up to Junior Cert. She has OCD and borderline autism (high functioning). She is academically good and articulate, but socially awkward, highly independent, very mature in many ways, but finds the school setting very difficult and hates it.
    She wants to take a year off school after JC.
    We have broached this with the school - at first they were not happy. Since I brought up the mental health issue, they are a lot more cooperative but nothing is arranged yet.
    If my DD had to miss school due to a physical illness there would obviously be no opposition from the school. Surely it should be the same for mental illness / problems?
    Anyone else had a similar issue?

Advertisement