Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Politics and Society really involve?

Options
  • 15-05-2018 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi!

I have chosen my LC subjects and Politics and Society is one of them! I am really interested in current affairs, human rights, all of that sort of thing and was just wondering does anyone know exactly what the subject entails? I’m aware that it is a new subject so there isn’t a plethora of information but even a little bit, just to give me an idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I think a sample exam paper was released recently by the NCCA. Scoilnet also has some info on it.

From what I can see a lot of emphasis is placed on 'thinkers'. So it's not enough to know about history/current affairs, you also have to know what famous thinkers think about society. It seems really interesting. I might end up teaching it in a few years. Also, educate.ie were going to publish a book on it over Easter. Not sure if it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

gg820 wrote: »
    Hi!

I have chosen my LC subjects and Politics and Society is one of them! I am really interested in current affairs, human rights, all of that sort of thing and was just wondering does anyone know exactly what the subject entails? I’m aware that it is a new subject so there isn’t a plethora of information but even a little bit, just to give me an idea.

Would you not ask the teacher in your school that is teaching it? That would be the best place to start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Politics and Society specification

General overview of what should be covered:

Strand 1: Power and decision-making
    Topic 1 Power and decision-making in school
    Topic 2 Power and decision-making at national and European level

Strand 2: Active citizenship
    Topic 3 Effectively contributing to communities
    Topic 4 Rights and responsibilities in communication with others

Strand 3: Human rights and responsibilities
    Topic 5 Human rights and responsibilities in Ireland
    Topic 6 Human rights and responsibilities in Europe and the wider world

Strand 4: Globalisation and localisation