Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to send £5,000 to uk bank account - cheapest way?

• 15-05-2018 10:48am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Buying a motorbike in the UK and need to find the cheapest way to get £5k into his bank account. Looking on AIB Exchange rates calculator, it seems very expensive. Their rate seems way more than other rates quoted when I google it..

Is there a cheaper way around it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Never used it but I've heard great things about currencyfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Revolut.
    Excellent service for FX transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I honestly didn’t think I’d be answering your post, but I suddenly remembered reading this article on RTÉ news the other day - there’s a part about what you need to know down the end of the article - scroll down it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0510/962587-how-much-value-is-there-in-buying-a-car-from-the-uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Revolut is very handy. Currencyfair is better depending on how high the amount is.

I'd use Revolut for my trips over and back and transferring small amounts. When transferring a large amount e.g. deposit for house, Currency fair was a good bit better value.

Right now I can see that to get £5,000 over would cost €5680 (this fluctuates constantly as it's a live price) with Rev, and €5716.50 with CF - no contest there with that amount

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

+1 for revolut. 5k is the limit in one month for no-fee transactions.

It's a great card for travelling abroad. Used it a lot to pay for foreign wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Zascar wrote: »
    Buying a motorbike in the UK and need to find the cheapest way to get £5k into his bank account. Looking on AIB Exchange rates calculator, it seems very expensive. Their rate seems way more than other rates quoted when I google it..

Is there a cheaper way around it?

If you have the time, take a bus "Up North" and lodge it via a Bank there...

but it "SAFER" to pay in some non-cash means...

If you have the time, take a bus "Up North" and lodge it via a Bank there...

but it "SAFER" to pay in some non-cash means...

I assume the OP doesn't have £5k sterling sitting about. Lodging in a bank up north in euro will result in a terrible FX rate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks All. Only problem is the guy wants it into his bank account - so not surea Revolut card will work but I'll look into currencyfair.

Thanks All. Only problem is the guy wants it into his bank account - so not surea Revolut card will work but I'll look into currencyfair.

You can pay directly into another person's account using Revolut.

Just need their IBAN along with sort code and account number. Done it 5 or 6 times this year.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You can pay directly into another person's account using Revolut.

Just need their IBAN along with sort code and account number. Done it 5 or 6 times this year.

Yep, Revolut all the way for this. Used it to pay for a car a few months ago. Only takes an hour or two to hit the UK bank account you're paying into too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks all I'l give that a go!

About to do this now. I want to be able to send directly from AIB my savings account to the service to credit my account, and then send on to the UK bank account. Is Revolut the easiest? I have an account set up already but never used it.

It seems I have to send the money to a UK Account is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I use Currency Fair all the time.

Never had any issues.

Pay it in in Euros. Then exchange the money. Then pay it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

About to do this now. I want to be able to send directly from AIB my savings account to the service to credit my account, and then send on to the UK bank account. Is Revolut the easiest? I have an account set up already but never used it.

It seems I have to send the money to a UK Account is that right?

I used Transferwise a few times for sending funds to USA in dollars. Fast and easy. Worth a quick look before you push the button.

Thanks, I dont want to send any more than necessary so can you calculate how many euro I need to send to get the exact UK£ amount? I think I'll give revolut a go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Revolut costs €5676 vs €5705 for Transferwise right now.

When it gets into higher values Transferwise becomes better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Revolut costs €5676 vs €5705 for Transferwise right now.

When it gets into higher values Transferwise becomes better value.

Useful comparison, thank you. I must look into Revolut for the next time. At what point did they produce similar costs?

Great thanks, yes I did a quick estimate and Revolut seemed cheaper. Also easier to add more small money via debit card if necessary. Just sent the payment there - hopefully it will show up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Useful comparison, thank you. I must look into Revolut for the next time. At what point did they produce similar costs?

I was looking at around £30k to euros, as part of a grand Brexit escape.

I just checked there now and Revolut are better value up as far as £40k(not checking any further). It was mid weekend I checked and Revolut cut their rate to cover any fluctuations whilst Transferwise held the rate from Friday, that's why they were better value at the time.

Revolut appears to be the way to go!

Quick update, I sent the funds from my AIB bank to Revolut on Monday evening, hit my Revolut wallet on Tuesday morning. I sent the funds to the UK bank account on Tuesday afternoon, they just arrived now (wed morning). Very quick. I really like how they send email confirmations to you and the recipient to confirm the transfer, and also the app sends you push notifications when money arrives in your wallet.

• Advertisement

I haven't found any fault with revolut at all except for a returning hotel deposit so if you have another proper credit card, use them for those type of things.

+1 on the communication via app and email.

Advertisement