Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I return laptop

Options
  • 15-05-2018 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Bought a new HP laptop in DID on Sunday. Yesterday evening I was sorting everything out on the laptop and I discovered that the warranty is up in six months and the initial set up warranty is up in 2 days 17/5 . Everything looked brand new and sealed when I was opening the laptop except for a wee smudge on the screen

DID said that they obviously would use the receipt as the start of their warranty but I'm wondering should I just return the laptop to the and ask for a refund. Don't feel too comfortable not having a proper warranty from HP .

So I'm just looking for a couple of opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Warranties mean little to nothing. You're protected by your statutory rights. Wouldn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So this was a open box sale? I presume you mean that the previous owner registered the warranty with the manufacturer and it ends in 6 months?

If you got a discount on it, I wouldn't be too concerned tbh. But if it was full price I wouldn't be so sure I'd keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Thanks for the replies.
    So my warranty from DID would be better than the one from the manufacturer ?

This was a brand new purchase, closed and sealed box. Which is why I was a bit put off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't see why they'd accept a return. There's no issue with the item.

Warranty is meaningless, your contract of sale is with the retailer. That date your seeing is merely a result of the unit sitting on the shelf for longer than anticipated, it has zero effect on your consumer rights. if the item developes a fault, you are fullt protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Thanks for the replies.
    So my warranty from DID would be better than the one from the manufacturer ?

This was a brand new purchase, closed and sealed box. Which is why I was a bit put off.

You may be better to lose the word "warranty" from your vocabulary. You are a consumer, you only need to deal with the retailer, your contract is not with the manufacturer. Sometimes it may be quicker to go with the manufacturer but you have no obligation to do so.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Hp estimate the date of sale .. probably sitting in stock for a while .. if you ever had to make a support call with HP your reciept from DID would reset the HP warranty date

whippet wrote: »
    Hp estimate the date of sale .. probably sitting in stock for a while .. if you ever had to make a support call with HP your reciept from DID would reset the HP warranty date

Just to say that I sent of a request like this this mornig. HP have just replied to say they have updated the warranty date for me.

Advertisement