Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvement from Mocks to the LC?

Options
  • 15-05-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey all,

I’m kind of ****ting it for the LC because I have lost the momentum I had for the mocks - which weren’t even that good. I only got 390 points.

The reason why I list my momentum is because I got 600/600 (600 points added to my LC points) for my audition/entrance exam for Cork School of Music. I’m not sure if many people get because I have spoken to a few friends who also got that. Tldr: I got a bit too lazy afterwards. Not that I have stoppedd studying but I have lost motivation to do it with a routine and to do it as well/as focused.

I am hoping to get over 470 or over (if possible) because that will get me into most of my courses on my application.

Did anybody jump up from the mocks to the leaving cert? I’m super nervous :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

It all depends on how much work you were putting in up until the mocks and how much you are doing now. I had 4 close friends who did the leaving cert last year:
    1) Mock 570, LC 625
    2) Mock 500, LC 422
    3) Mock 300, LC 580
    4) Mock 200, LC 441

Now I also know a lot of people who cheated their mocks (had seen the paper already) some got 100 points more in the mock than the lc, however some went up over 150. It all depends on you, considering that you are looking here, I'm guessing you're putting some amount of work in so by that logic you should go up at LEAST 1 grade from your mock, you may stay at the same grade, possibly go down or you can go up a few grades. I know another lad who only improved his grade in maths from the mocks while the rest of his grades stayed the same but he moved from a h7 to a h2. Rather than trying to build up your weaker subjects I would focus on the ones you are best at in order to maximize your chance of getting that h1 or h2, and if you are doing higher maths then you really need to be putting in a minimum of 1 hour each day. Don't be stressing too much, you did well in your mocks and you know where you have to improve now, rather than making a massive revision plan right now, what I would do is, each morning when you wake up write in a copy or journal what you want to get done that day (think to yourself "What can I do in the next 24 hours to increase my points) but also include some things other than study maybe go for a run, spend an hour with a friend, go to the gym etc, and at the end of the day write a comment on each thing on your list, how did it go? why did it go that way? were you happy with how it went? what will you do differently next time etc.

And at the end of the day always remember that the LC does not dictate the rest of your life, there are backdoors and other ways to get into every course, even something as simple as doing just one subject next year to add on to your points tally. If you do great in your leaving cert then fair play to you, if you don't it's ok. When you're finished and seeking employment (be it with or without a degree) most of the time what employers are looking for is passion and ability rather than academic results, for example, there are a lot fo people working for companies like google and facebook who did bad in school and college but posted their own programs online in a portfolio.

Sorry for the rant, but best of luck with everything, what ever happens happens, don't let a classmates opinion or a little piece of paper dictate the person you can become !!!

Advertisement