Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercom / CB Radio

Options
  • 15-05-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

My brother has recently become my neighbour and want to set up an intercom system between the houses. Wireless.

I was looking at a CB radio sort of thing but they may require antennae.

Walkie talkies are the handiest i suppose. Is there anything more permenant/ wall mounted i can get?? Cheers

Distance is 100 meters up hill. Trees blocking the line of sight. Thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Hi All,

My brother has recently become my neighbour and want to set up an intercom system between the houses. Wireless.

Walkie talkies are the handiest i suppose. Is there anything more permenant/ wall mounted i can get?? Cheers

Have you heard about phones ? they're pretty cool.

Some phones have an intercom function, but it would be easier to simply use something like skype messenger or any other app; assuming internet connectivity to both houses.

or if all else fails,

shutterstock_92407318jpg_700x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you wanted to 446 may make it in that setup. Pair of these?

Statie-Radio-Desktop-INTEK-DRS-5070_390_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Try an Alexa? Use the drop in function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Triangle wrote: »
    Try an Alexa? Use the drop in function.
    Ah - now I'm interested in this. I have an Alexa and my brother has too. He's in the south of the country and I'm in the east, How would I go about setting Alexa up to drop-in? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hi All,

I think perhaps tell us why you want this? As in what functionality are you looking for you can't already get from your phone (again assuming internet connectivity).

If it's wall mounted you won't be able to use it unless you're standing next to it. CB radio is not exactly secure communication either, ie. all your other neighbours (and perhaps further afield) will be able to listen to you chatting to your brother.

If you're thinking walkie talkies there's quite a selection in Argos and I think they come up regularly in the likes of Lidl and Aldi as well. Advantage of a lot of these would be that they'd have some form of security so that not everybody else can listen in on you. (mind, it still happens from time to time)

Advertisement