Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Experience Ireland

Options
  • 15-05-2018 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, Had vouchers for Gift Experience Ireland, and was told at the weekend that they are gone bust. I have sent off to the bank to see if there is any comeback that way, through chargebacks. Has anyone any experience of this, or should I just get used to the idea that my money is gone?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

https://www.giftexperienceireland.ie/
    Gift Experience Ireland has gone offline.

If you have a voucher, please enter it here to find out more about booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Have you entered you voucher number on their website to see what they say?

https://www.giftexperienceireland.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The liquidator gets paid first. The list goes down secured creditors, unsecured, shareholders....

Gift Voucher holders is just outside the top 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

I did. I had five vouchers, but when I put in four of them, they said they were not redeemable. One of them said I could redeem it, so I went in and booked the experience, thought I would get in and use if as quick as I could. But then, got an email from adventure001 in England, to say I couldn't use it. I don't know if I will have any luck with the bank. They were paid for with a debit card:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish debit cads have the same chargeback protections as credit cards.

• Advertisement

That's good to know, I might be lucky then!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

I received a gift voucher from the supercar driving experience and booked a date online 2mths ago. Will the still honour this? No answer from their phone

I tried that number too, no answer. I don't think so. If you email adventure001.co.uk, they will tell you, but I don't think they are honouring any vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

I might be wrong (and I have some kind of recall of a law change a few years back)....but if you buy a gift voucher then you have no right of chargeback as you've actually gotten what you paid for (the gift voucher).

one of the reasons people stopped buying vouchers in the bust was that a lot of vouchers ultimately were never usable because companies went bust.

Well technically, you haven't.. until you have had the experience. Until then, you only have a piece of paper

• Advertisement

biddy21 wrote:
    I tried that number too, no answer. I don't think so. If you email adventure001.co.uk, they will tell you, but I don't think they are honouring any vouchers

adventure001 are a different company? Is it safe to assume the money we paid is gone? No comeback

I think they are the parent company. I have applied to the bank for chargeback, but not holding out too much hope. You have to send them proof of the voucher, card no it was paid with and what date it was paid on. Maybe !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Had a supercar experience booked with them also. Got an email today from a different company called supercar drive days who say they're taking over the events at Ingliston and Nutts Corner and are saying they'll try to accommodate people who booked through gift experience.

I also played through PayPal and have opened a ticket. Not sure how it'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Guy who runs the company set up a new company in January - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC584656

The company that was used was Gift Experience Scotland Ltd https://www.giftexperiencescotland.com/ https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC344688/filing-history

Gift Exp Scotland Ltd provided a loan to Experee Ltd - who are also "taking a break"
    https://www.experee.com/ https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC497666/filing-history

They also provided a loan to Ingliston Revival (probbaly to shore up near 200k losses) which is now a blank page http://www.ingliston.co.uk/ https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC497648/filing-history

So, looks bad and I'd start applying for those chargebacks.

daheff wrote: »
    I might be wrong (and I have some kind of recall of a law change a few years back)....but if you buy a gift voucher then you have no right of chargeback as you've actually gotten what you paid for (the gift voucher).

one of the reasons people stopped buying vouchers in the bust was that a lot of vouchers ultimately were never usable because companies went bust.

Nope, that's incorrect.

Probably thinking of getting a refund from a shop that has closed for a voucher purchased with cash. The voucher is worthless unless there's enough to pay all secured creditors first (Liquidator, Taxman, Banks).
    In 99.9% of cases there's never anything left over.

But if you paid with a card that has the visa or mastercard symbol (almost all debit & credit cards in Ireland), you can do a chargeback.

The good news is that new rules on chargebacks have come into operation from last april.

On what are called "future goods/services", you have 120 days from being informed that the purchase would not be honoured. That a a big change from the previous 120 days from transaction date.

As this is relatively new, you may need to let the chargeback dept know of the change if they say your are too late.

Just got my money back from AIB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bodmar12

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Nope, that's incorrect.

But if you paid with a card that has the visa or mastercard symbol (almost all debit & credit cards in Ireland), you can do a chargeback.

The good news is that new rules on chargebacks have come into operation from last april.

On what are called "future goods/services", you have 120 days from being informed that the purchase would not be honoured. That a a big change from the previous 120 days from transaction date.

As this is relatively new, you may need to let the chargeback dept know of the change if they say your are too late.

Hi, Do u have link about "future goods/services" RE: 120 DAYS FROM NOTIFICATION as I aslo have jst got an email about my voucher..TiA

Bodmar12 wrote: »
    Hi, Do u have link about "future goods/services" RE: 120 DAYS FROM NOTIFICATION as I aslo have jst got an email about my voucher..TiA

its in a chargeback pdf document that's about 400 pages long, but the banks should know about it.

There is a time limit of 540 days from transaction date - so no good if a voucher is from 2 years ago. Also expired vouchers would not be covered.

Its also in this visa blog post https://chargeback.com/visa-chargeback-time-limits/

Chargeback time limits associated with VCR 13.1 can change if the merchandise or services were expected to be provided after the transaction processing date. But an issuer’s time limit to chargeback cannot exceed 540 calendar days from the transaction processing date. A resolution will be available within 31 days. But you can expect a chargeback to occur within these two time limits:

120 calendar days from the last date the cardholder expected to receive merchandise or services.
    120 calendar days from the date the cardholder was told that the merchandise or services won’t be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Organi

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Had a supercar experience booked with them also. Got an email today from a different company called supercar drive days who say they're taking over the events at Ingliston and Nutts Corner and are saying they'll try to accommodate people who booked through gift experience.

I also played through PayPal and have opened a ticket. Not sure how it'll go.

I opened a dispute 12 days ago with PayPal and they ruled in my favour as Gift Experience never responded to them . So I got my €200 refunded back into account. I did it online and then rang them to verify it was set up properly ( on hold for 30minutes) but worth it as the guy in PayPal escalated the dispute for me so that Gift Experience only had 12 days to respond as opposed to the normal 25 day window. Hope that helps someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

PayPal dispute came through in my favor as the seller didn't respond. Happy out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

Basically if you paid over 3 months ago (which is my case) your money as good as gone. I also got an email from Supercar Drive Days (some UK company) saying in simple words that i've been taken for a ride (different kinda ride tho). They said they didnt get any money from Gift Experience this year, well fine, but dont make it sound like its you who's in a f00king loss - you havent provided any services. Called them today and lady on the phone was helpful, but they only offering english tracks atm, nothing in Ireland, so no good to me. Called Nutts Corner in Belfast directly to see maybe i can get a ride, was willing to pay them again, but they stopped doing supercars altogether, only karts. Also a man on the phone was SuperRude, although i never mentioned GiftExperience or any refunds whatsoever. Good luck with your business ya prick, definitely will bring my money somewhere else. Thats all from me :-D

taheen wrote: »
    Basically if you paid over 3 months ago (which is my case) your money as good as gone.

Totally and utterly incorrect unless you paid by cash or cheque (unlikely).

Read posts above where there's information on new chargeback rules for those who paid by visa or mastercard (debit or credit).

Similar refunds are also available from Paypal.

So in all likelihood, unless someone waits an inordinate amount of time to request a chargeback, everyone who wants a refund will get a refund, but they must go to a little effort in requesting it.

Well i read all the liks above, spicificaly Visa one (voucher was bought on Visa card) and they all mention 120 day period. Or is it 120 days since i get notice? Or since purchase?

taheen wrote: »
    Well i read all the liks above, spicificaly Visa one (voucher was bought on Visa card) and they all mention 120 day period. Or is it 120 days since i get notice? Or since purchase?

120 days from the date the client EXPECTED to receive service.
    You expected to receive service at any time during validity of the voucher.

As the company has gone bust and it was a "future service" you purchased you have 120 days from closing of the company to request a chargeback.

Thanks for your advice, see what i can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ya, same boat... had a voucher from them for nutts corner in July, and then told that GEI had gone bust. Got an email from Supercar Drive Days and they offered a day out in Edinburgh for an EXTRA 50 pounds (and Pay for your own flight). First available date is July 28th, which was unsuitable. I'll go down the chargeback route now... debit card with AIB. Will post if successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

LOL.... just called Aib card services to organise a chargeback and straight away he asked was it for "Gift Experience Ireland". He said he's been busy with them.

So he went through the process and it seems fair enough, just need to give them some documentation (evidence) of the purchase and an attempt to resolve it myself (even an unanswered email is an attempt to resolve it).

If anyone booked it using an AIB card, just ring card services directly for the chargeback and they will talk you through the process:
    +353 1 668 5500

Muppet Man

Applied to AIB and got my money refunded within a week. Also got the email offereing the tack day in Scotland (+£50)...no thanks lads:rolleyes:, once is enough to get screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bodmar

anyone know who the liquidator is or where I can get my hands on a copy of the liquidators notice

• Advertisement

bodmar wrote: »
    anyone know who the liquidator is or where I can get my hands on a copy of the liquidators notice

Here you go

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3043554?mainwebsite=1

Advertisement