Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chain grinding problem

Options
  • 15-05-2018 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

i have a problem with my chain making a grinding noise when i'm in small ring and larger rear cogs. (i'm running 105 compact with 11-28.) i've changed my chain, rear derailleur, and rear derailleur cable. i've changed from medium cage to short cage derailleur, and shortened the chain also. any ideas what the problem could be? b screw adjustment out? chain length wrong?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it rubbing against the inside of the front derailleur?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Yep. Sounds like an indexing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

it's shifting fine, and doesn't seem to be rubbing the front mech at all. i think the noise is from the rear...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Is it rubbing on the rear derailleur cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bent hanger causing the rear mech to hit off the spokes ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If it's only happening when the chain is on the bigger sprockets, it's probably the chain rubbing on the derailleur cage at the bottom where it enters the cage.
    It could be because the whole derailleur is crooked (bent hanger, as ted1 says), or because the cage itself took a knock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭G1032

Type 17 wrote: »
    If it's only happening when the chain is on the bigger sprockets, it's probably the chain rubbing on the derailleur cage at the bottom where it enters the cage.
    It could be because the whole derailleur is crooked (bent hanger, as ted1 says), or because the cage itself took a knock.

Check that there isn't too much play in thejockey wheels. Had a similar issue recently with chain rubbing off the derailleur cage. Put in two new jockey wheels and all good again

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Thanks for the replies guys. 
    The derailleur is brand new, so it shouldn't be damaged itself. Also, I had a look at the alignment, and it looks spot on.
    I'm wondering do I need to take another link out of the chain. What do you think from looking at these photos of big-big and small-small gearing combinations? Would a too-long chain even cause such a grinding noise?

attachment.php?attachmentid=451342

attachment.php?attachmentid=451344

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Short cage derailleur and quite a big cassette means that, although the chain is a good length, the top jockey wheel is touching the sprocket in the lower gears - screw in the B screw on the derailleur to make the jockey-cage sit lower.
    For more info: https://youtu.be/UkZxPIZ1ngY?t=837

Advertisement