Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Growing Hedge

Options
  • 15-05-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi , Looking to plant about 25m Hedge for Privacy , final height of 6 or 7 feet is fine but would like 5 foot fairly quick . What would you guys suggest?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Laurel IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agree Laurel is the way to go. But bear in mind there is no final height, I was often asked what could be applied to a hedge to stop it growing when it reached a certain height..shears was the usual reply!

Prunus laurocerasus if you want quick (but more pruning). The variety "etna" is much more tidy if you can find it.

Prunus lusitanica is a nicer hedge in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Plant the hedge you want to finish up with, not the one you want to start with. Like children, they all grow fast enough.

For me its beech or yew. All-year foliage (ok, 50 weeks for beech), and most importantly they can be successfully deep cut back if a year or two get missed, or if your desires change. Lots of other hedges cannot be cut back into brown wood.

Beech is the best multi colour throughout the year, yew a most pleasing dark green that other planting looks well against.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd only plant cherry laurel if I wanted something over 4m. Or I was selling the house. There's a place up the road (currently for sale) that removed an old wall last year and the laurel next to it that was cut right down is now a full screen.

Portuguese laurel is nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Western red cedar makes a nice hedge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement