Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texel ewes x Scotch Horn ram.

Options
  • 15-05-2018 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I've seen posts about putting lowland rams with mountain ewes. However how about, putting lowland ewes such as Belclare x Texel with a mountain ram, in order to produce hardy, lambs that are easy lambed. Anyone ever try this ? Would the lambs finish easy ? I ask this as a mountain ram broke into the field and serviced 7/8 ewes, all lambs from this mountain ram were up and sucking right away and out on the field thriving after 1 day, very impressed, so much so that I'm considering purchasing a mountain ram this year to put with my lowland ewes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

OneMan37 wrote: »
    I've seen posts about putting lowland rams with mountain ewes. However how about, putting lowland ewes such as Belclare x Texel with a mountain ram, in order to produce hardy, lambs that are easy lambed. Anyone ever try this ? Would the lambs finish easy ? I ask this as a mountain ram broke into the field and serviced 7/8 ewes, all lambs from this mountain ram were up and sucking right away and out on the field thriving after 1 day, very impressed, so much so that I'm considering purchasing a mountain ram this year to put with my lowland ewes.

Suppose it depends on how you're selling your lambs, either as stores or factory? I'd wait a few more months yet before i'd be making any decision on buying a horned ram. Wait till they grow out and see how they flesh and finish, whilst ease of lambing and vitality might be a positive trait at birth, see what other traits are brought across first.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Suppose it depends on how you're selling your lambs, either as stores or factory? I'd wait a few more months yet before i'd be making any decision on buying a horned ram. Wait till they grow out and see how they flesh and finish, whilst ease of lambing and vitality might be a positive trait at birth, see what other traits are brought across first.

I lambed my ewes early May, and will sell next March, hopefully at a weigh close to 50kg. I can't argue with your advice, better wait and see how this years crop matures and looks in Autumn..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I'd imagine they wont grade as well in the factory, as with any mountain cross. However, it would be interesting to see exactly how much of a difference there is, and is it a price worth paying for having unassisted lambing and noticeably hardier lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

If you’re lambing in may why not buy scotch ewes and put a texal ram on them. If you want to sell fat lambs buy a terminal ram and put them on the ewes. Why do u wait 10 months to sell lambs when you’ve belclare/texal ewes if u don’t mind me asking.

If you’re lambing in may why not buy scotch ewes and put a texal ram on them. If you want to sell fat lambs buy a terminal ram and put them on the ewes. Why do u wait 10 months to sell lambs when you’ve belclare/texal ewes if u don’t mind me asking.

I have very good quality ewes to breed, hill cross lambs. And I don't want to fork out a load of money on hill ewes when I just bough my ewe flock in February, besides my ewes are much more prolific than hill ewes.

My option is to sell as stores in September or October for 80e or keep until March and sell finished lambs for an average of 120e. So I plan to keep until March, when the lamb trade is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Im running Lleyn rams with my ewes. All the hill traits, but offspring still look lowland and polled. Mightn’t even bother with any terminal ram this year. Better 2 alive poorer quality lambs then 1 pricewinner

Interesting. The Lleyn ram is a good option, Would the Lleyn be hardy, have early vitality and up sucking right away ? How easy lambed are they ? As easy as horned sheep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Interesting. early vitality and up sucking right away ? How easy lambed are they ? /quote]

You can get variation in the breed, but overall, yes to all the above, the Ewes and ewe lambs spit them out, up on their feet fast looking for milk, no
    messing around. Had 30 lleyn x ewe lambs put back to a Lleyn ram this year and didn’t have to touch any.

Advertisement