Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a new lens improve my photos?

Options
  • 15-05-2018 6:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

I'm trying to decide on a new lens. Current kit is Sony A6500 with the kit lens (16-55mm), a 30mm prime and a 55-210mm zoom.

It wrecks my head that I have to change the lens to zoom so considering an 18-105mm or a 24-240mm. I can't decide between that or a wide angle. There's a nice 12mm one or the Sony 10-18mm.

My main question is if I got a better everyday use lens, would it improve on the kit lens? Would an 18-105mm (say this one take a better photo than the generic kit lens that comes with the camera? A few of my outdoor shots have been soft lately and I'm wondering if it's because I'm using the same old kit lens that came with my old Sony A5000. Like, at a focal length of 30mm or something, will the photo be better on the more expensive camera (bearing in mind I just point and shoot on auto most of the time).

Also have the weight to consider. The 16-55mm is tiny and easy to carry. All other lenses seem much bigger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

dory wrote:
    It wrecks my head that I have to change the lens to zoom so considering an 18-105mm or a 24-240mm. I can't decide between that or a wide angle. There's a nice 12mm one or the Sony 10-18mm.

You could get closer to our further away from your subject.

Doing so it's very likely to make you look more carefully at your composition.

People used prime lenses for a long time before someone invented the zoom lens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your photos won't be better, unless you count a minimal increase in sharpness; the lens will not do much more than that.
    if you want to get better photos, it's about changing your approach.

my favoured method - and this by no means is a universal opinion - is to make life harder on yourself, not easier. a prime (i.e. non-zoom) lens will probably/possibly make you work harder for your photos. and will probably offer a wider aperture so give you more control over depth of field.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dory wrote: »
    bearing in mind I just point and shoot on auto most of the time

A cheap saucepan and an expensive one won't make a difference if you're a useless cook.

Start using Aperture Priority mode and learning the ISO/Shutter/Aperture trade off. If shots are soft it may be an AF fail or it may be you're shooting down at F3 when you should be at F11.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Learn a bit about ISO / Shutter / Aperture. Practice using manual focus in situations that allow if the auto focus isn't quite giving you what you want.

Picking up the basics of these things will not take long at all and will open up way more possibilities for your photos. At the start you'll have to mess around a lot, and it might take 4 or 5 attempts to get what you're looking, but it's worth it.

I'd describe myself as a beginner and I've taken some photos that I am personally impressed with just by watching a few videos on youtube and reading a few magazines that give an overview of the basics.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for all the advice. I know I should really learn how to use all the buttons. It'll be my plan for the summer! I've read a few books but when it comes to taking a photo I get confused and press the auto button!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dory wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I know I should really learn how to use all the buttons. It'll be my plan for the summer! I've read a few books but when it comes to taking a photo I get confused and press the auto button!

Reading books is no substitute for real practice. It's the only way you'll get the hang of it and improve. YouTube can be a pretty good source of information/inspiration too... but again you'll get nowhere unless the camera is in your hand and you are pushing yourself. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Definitely get to know your camera and current gear before investing in anything else. What is the 30mm lens you have? Sigma 30mm f2.8?

As an aside, I have the Sony 18-105 on an A6500 and its fantastic if you ever do get it down the line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Also consider doing a course, invest your money in learning new techniques and it can make a vast difference. Also if you don't use it already start using lightroom. That has made the biggest difference t my photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I don't know if your lens is better than Ansel's but the message is the same

The truth is that important work… work that matters - doesn't have anything to do with the technology we have access to. It has everything to do with what we have to say and communicate visually. Photography is an act of speaking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement