Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ap2 post interview

Options
  • 15-05-2018 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any advice have my interview in two weeks for posts and am struggling with what they could ask. obviously they use your application form as a basis for questioning but as I'm on a career break the last two years and we have a new principal who I have not met yet I am concerned. I have completed my toraiocht and am now finishing my masters in educational leadership so have some leadership courses behind me. any help would be great thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Read the Looking at Our Schools document. Have examples of how you led learning, managed the organisation, developed the school and enhanced either your own or others’ leadership capacity. Have specific scenarios to talk about about. Don’t waffle. What was the issue? What did you do and how successful was the outcome.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Make sure you show that you are up to date with the new child protection guidelines. There's a online training you can do on the Pdst site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Make sure you show that you are up to date with the new child protection guidelines. There's a online training you can do on the Pdst site.
    If your school has not organised that already they are at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Our posts were advertised 2day & we all got a copy of the ‘blurb’ to go with them. I actually gave up trying to read it, what a load of irrlevant jargon filled rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    If your school has not organised that already they are at fault.

What on earth are you on about? Op hadn't been in school for two years so might have missed out on the training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

thanks for the help guys give me something to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 userhere

Are they generic application forms or does the school personalise them?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Generic forms but slightly different for ETB.
    Both have the 4 headings.. Leading Learning......Developing Leadership capacity...etc.
    Voluntary sec school have a choice to give 1 or 2 examples max 300 words in total where as ETB form requires one example max 450 words under each heading.

I had an interview last week. They did not ask me a single thing relating to the examples. They had different questions. Looking back why would they ask you something you had learnt off inside out. When they want to ask you questions you cannot prepare and see how you handle pressure.
    Tip:
    Know your School improvement plans inside out!
    If anyone else has possible questions or tips let me know. I have AP1 interview next week. I am not too hopeful about that one either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Generic forms but slightly different for ETB.
    Both have the 4 headings.. Leading Learning......Developing Leadership capacity...etc.
    Voluntary sec school have a choice to give 1 or 2 examples max 300 words in total where as ETB form requires one example max 450 words under each heading.

I had an interview last week. They did not ask me a single thing relating to the examples. They had different questions. Looking back why would they ask you something you had learnt off inside out. When they want to ask you questions you cannot prepare and see how you handle pressure.
    Tip:
    Know your School improvement plans inside out!
    If anyone else has possible questions or tips let me know. I have AP1 interview next week. I am not too hopeful about that one either!

In our school candidates were asked for examples of how they lead teaching and learning in the school, about examples of a time they presented/ talked to the school community and also about the implementation of Wellbeing - what it is and how you can support it.
    Good luck

so guys had interview and already have been sent email to say you were unsuccessful. I assumed that would have been the case but what has upset me is that the principal made no mention or told the interview board I had been on a career break for 2 yrs. any ideas I came up with or said I was told thats already in place or we are doing that now from the principal himself. I felt negative and condesended talked down too. I was also never given a list of the roles and responsibilities that were in place. thibk it's 4.1 in circular yes he did give me the job advertisement but not the lost of the position so when u was asked how would you lead one of the following position I was placed on the spot and answers quite waffley as had very little prepared. at the end I mentioned I was on a career break finsihe d my toraiocht and completing my masters now but to no avail and a kick in the teeth is that one of the position was given to a teacher with very little experience and only on the staff this year. i understand that it is the best candidate will get the job in the end but just feel that I wasn't even considered as I was out of the loop and the principal didn't even acknowledge that. I am not sure if there is any point appealing and that the work that I did for the students and the school in the past and as I hoped in the future was no consequence to the board or the principal. he even had the ordasity to ask if I was still 100 percent coming back next yr even though I never applied for another career break. the only thing I did say was to the vp in passing was that I may look for another job closer to home for commuting for kids but was not a definite as I loved the school staff and students but now I fear my return will not be as positive as I thought it would. I suppose what I want to ask should I appeal or just leave it.
    thanks for your help

• Advertisement

sorry for spelling mistake at start🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

roxychix wrote: »
    so guys had interview and already have been sent email to say you were unsuccessful. I assumed that would have been the case but what has upset me is that the principal made no mention or told the interview board I had been on a career break for 2 yrs. any ideas I came up with or said I was told thats already in place or we are doing that now from the principal himself. I felt negative and condesended talked down too. I was also never given a list of the roles and responsibilities that were in place. thibk it's 4.1 in circular yes he did give me the job advertisement but not the lost of the position so when u was asked how would you lead one of the following position I was placed on the spot and answers quite waffley as had very little prepared. at the end I mentioned I was on a career break finsihe d my toraiocht and completing my masters now but to no avail and a kick in the teeth is that one of the position was given to a teacher with very little experience and only on the staff this year. i understand that it is the best candidate will get the job in the end but just feel that I wasn't even considered as I was out of the loop and the principal didn't even acknowledge that. I am not sure if there is any point appealing and that the work that I did for the students and the school in the past and as I hoped in the future was no consequence to the board or the principal. he even had the ordasity to ask if I was still 100 percent coming back next yr even though I never applied for another career break. the only thing I did say was to the vp in passing was that I may look for another job closer to home for commuting for kids but was not a definite as I loved the school staff and students but now I fear my return will not be as positive as I thought it would. I suppose what I want to ask should I appeal or just leave it.
    thanks for your help

That’s tough roxychix, but at least u gave it a shot. Talk to ur union about appeals, it has to be on a procedural issue & if u were not issued roles/responsibilities that may be one. However, appeals are very divisive & protracted. They may have to reinterview, but the reality is that the Principals back will be up & u probably wouldn’t get it next time either. It might just not be worth the hassle & bad feeling it has the potential to create. If I were u I’d forget about it, enjoy the summer with ur kids & go back fresh as a daisy!!

Hi Roxychix
    sorry to hear your experience was not a positive one. There is a specific time frame to appeal -10 days and in your case as you felt you wouldn't get the position in the first place I wouldn't rock the boat. Should another post arise next time you will be ready for the questions.
    Was there any point in the interview where they said something like: Is there anything you want us to focus on?
    At the end of the interview did they ask you were you happy the way the interview was conducted? Usually they cover themselves by asking you these questions so you can't say you didn't get a chance to get across your "selling points".
    I have another interview this week in the school for AP1 and I know I haven't a hope of getting it and I cant remember the technical questions asked 2 weeks ago but feck it I am still going for it in the hope of an AP2 post next September.
    Onwards and upwards Roxyxhix the school of your dreams might advertise this Summer and you may be closer to home.

Hi Roxychix sorry to hear your experience was not a positive one. There is a specific time frame to appeal -10 days and in your case as you felt you wouldn't get the position in the first place I wouldn't rock the boat. Should another post arise next time you will be ready for the questions. Was there any point in the interview where they said something like: Is there anything you want us to focus on? At the end of the interview did they ask you were you happy the way the interview was conducted? Usually they cover themselves by asking you these questions so you can't say you didn't get a chance to get across your "selling points". I have another interview this week in the school for AP1 and I know I haven't a hope of getting it and I cant remember the technical questions asked 2 weeks ago but feck it I am still going for it in the hope of an AP2 post next September. Onwards and upwards Roxyxhix the school of your dreams might advertise this Summer and you may be closer to home.

hi thanks for your kind words what you said makes sense no point rocking the boat. yeah job applications being sent in now.

they never asked me if they were happy with the way the interview was conducted etc. but after a few days clarity I've mulled over the interview and realised there is no point appealing.

at least ill have an idea if the any posts come up again

good luck with your interview

Hi I had my AP1 interview before the holidays.
    I did a much better interview and the questions were more focused on leaders, the quality of leaders, your strengths and weaknesses and working with others who do not share your work ethic. Other questions related to management duties .Compared to the previous interview the questions were less vision related/less philosophical. They focused on the application form where as in my previous interview they did not ask anything about my examples.

Yet again I was unsuccessful but I am not too bothered. I am delighted with the experience as I hadn't completed an interview in 2 years.

Next Sept. for the next round of interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 marina24

Anyone fill in AP2 form(nightmare) or have any tips for interview?

Advertisement