Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Default Disk Drive

Options
  • 15-05-2018 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just moved to Windows 10 after being an OS X user for 10 years. Naturally I'll have a few questions to ask.

I have a 128gb SSD as well as a 1TB HD. The SSD is already down to 40gb of space and I want to keep it free for games.

How do I set it so that my default download location is on the HD?

Any tips for keeping the SSD as clutter free as possible?

How do I set the quick access bar on the left for the documents folders to open to the D drive rather than the C drive?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Move your profile over onto the 1TB HDD, for example right click My documents, click on the location tab and move it to the 1TB HDD. Do the same for all the other folders in your profile including Desktop.

I've no problem keeping half of my SSD empty in a set up almost exactly the same a yours.

Edit> Also do a disk cleanup and include old windows version and update files - can't remember the exact jargon but it can save you another GB in some case.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks!

So what should the file path look like if I have done it correctly? D:/Documents and D:/Pictures etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Thanks!

So what should the file path look like if I have done it correctly? D:/Documents and D:/Pictures etc...?

Make it whatever you want I use D:\<my name>\Documents, D:\<my name>\Pictures etc so I can just backup d:\<my name>\ .

Edit then I go and make sure the Libraries only point to the same single location, right click and propertied of each one. And make sure you have your slashes the right way around \ not /

my3cents wrote: »
    Make it whatever you want I use D:\<my name>\Documents, D:\<my name>\Pictures etc so I can just backup d:\<my name>\ .

Edit then I go and make sure the Libraries only point to the same single location, right click and propertied of each one. And make sure you have your slashes the right way around \ not /

I found another article that allowed me to do it this way
    defaultsavelocation1.PNG
    but I think I'll still have to move the files I have. Doesn't matter too much at the moment coz I don't have a whole load. The laptop is only a week in use.

Before I did that though I did try and make a change the way you said and now I'm kind of confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,958 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The other thing is your browser set the download location to the hard drive.

Advertisement