Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to Shimano chainset?

Options
  • 15-05-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some opinions and potentially some links to alternative chainset options for a semi-vintage aluxx frame that will be carrying 6800 shifters and mechs, and probably a pair of FSA SL-K calipers I just don't want a 6800 crankset and rings, - no rhyme or reason to it I know, just interested in something a bit less ubiquitous, less like a 'dinner plate' etc.

There's an older 6600 chainset on it that would be coming off so it would be great to mate whatever's going on with the same BB if possible, but would bite the bullet for the right kit regardless.

So is there anything good looking and dark from outside the 'big 3' I could be looking at? Maybe FSA, Rotor etc? It doesn't have to be new, but should be able to slot into 11spd running gear, so open to something a little older and/or offbeat perhaps?

I don't mind if it's a Frankenbike as long as it doesn't look very obviously like a Frankenbike :)

Edit - forgot to say it should be a compact if anyone has anything that fits that brief!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Praxis - Alba or Zayante, the latter is probably the best compromise of cost, weight and stiffness

Specialites TA - Vega or Carmina About as many options as you'd ever want in a chainset, though probably not as rigid as a one piece crank/spider/axle

Advertisement