Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damage to box plants

Options
  • 15-05-2018 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Planted a few rows of box plants from pots in March to front some borders, a total of just under 100.

Something has eaten three in a row at one corner. The have been eaten right back to the main stem and over half of the height, including leaves and branches. No other plants have been attacked.

It is not box blight and does not appear to be moths or any other insect hidden in the plants.

Anyone have a similar experience to share & help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Deer can have expensive tastes. I once looked after a woodland garden where they insisted on only eating a rare bronze leaved crocosmia.

But unless you're going to tell me you live in an apartment on the sixth floor..rabbits, goats, sheep, cattle, foxes, or maybe just an omnivorous dog, are all suspects.

You'll just have to keep an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hares, too. And goats are notorious. But deer most likely in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cragaun

I should have added that the house is in an urban area and we dont have deer nearby.

We do have foxes, dogs & cats. I will have to keep a close eye on it.

Advertisement