Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Visit

• 15-05-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi all. First visit to the Astronomy forum, hope this is okay to post here. I’m looking for suggestions for a speaker to visit our school in Dublin 13. We have four classes of 6-8 year old eager scientists with lots of questions about space and the solar system. I have spoken to Astronomy Ireland already but they are outside our budget. Can anyone recommend any outreach programmes or departments that would/could visit our school in June? We had someone booked but they had to cancel. Thanks for reading, and mods please delete if this is not the place.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The Irish Astronomical Society do give classes and hold public events but I'm not affiliated with them so don't actually know if they send out speakers to schools. Might be worth giving them a shout anyway -

http://www.irishastrosoc.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Surely Astronomy Ireland have a vested interest in promoting Astronomy in schools. How much does it cost to get them in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭KathleenF

We were quoted a minimum fee of €400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,461 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have you tried Dunsink Observatory or the universities?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi Kathleen,

Feel free to PM me or give me a call on 086-8181931. I am on the Irish Astronomical Society Committee and our members visits schools at no charge. We do a significant amount of outreach events for free and assist during public open nights at Dunsink Observatory. I may not be able to get along myself to the school due to work (plus vacation in late-June) but the others in the club should be able to help. Our only fee is lots of smiles at the end of the day!

John

John Flannery,
    IAS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭ps200306

matban wrote: »
    Surely Astronomy Ireland have a vested interest in promoting Astronomy in schools. How much does it cost to get them in?
    KathleenF wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised. :mad::mad::mad:
    jfSDAS wrote: »
    I am on the Irish Astronomical Society Committee and our members visits schools at no charge.
    Why am I not surprised. :):):)

Hi Kathleen,

Feel free to PM me or give me a call on 086-8181931. I am on the Irish Astronomical Society Committee and our members visits schools at no charge. We do a significant amount of outreach events for free and assist during public open nights at Dunsink Observatory. I may not be able to get along myself to the school due to work (plus vacation in late-June) but the others in the club should be able to help. Our only fee is lots of smiles at the end of the day!

John

John Flannery,
    IAS

Hi John, that would be great! I’ll give you a ring later today and hopefully we can arrange something. Thanks a mil.

Esel wrote: »
    Have you tried Dunsink Observatory or the universities?

Hadn’t tried Dunsink but yes I’ve tried universities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Hi Kathleen,

John

John Flannery,
    IAS

Top class John. The way it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

KathleenF wrote: »

Ah the good oul Astronomy Ireland.. " We are are non profit organisation". Absolutely laughable. And thats just for a talk!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Would rather get onto Carl at http://www.bigbearplanetariums.ie/ . At least he brings out a steller (pardon the pun) planetarium for the kids to enjoy! :D

IAS also give great talks! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement