Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual SIM phone

• 15-05-2018 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for a dual SIM phone. Max price would be 250/300 euro. Decent camera and fast charge being two things I'd need.

I have an S7 at the moment, if I can't get a decent dual I think I'll stick with two separate ones, though not ideal!

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

One plus 3t.

Done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

OnePlus 6 (more than your budget)
    Cheaper option Moto G6 / Plus dual SIM from Amazon.de (or check UK)

Or Xiaomi. Import from China.
    Or wait for them to be sold from more European bricks and mortar.. said to be expanding in Europe over the coming months.
    Three will be selling them also I've read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭boardtc

In the same boat as my current phone is driving me nuts, want to look for a second-hand phone, which is dual sim and has a great camera and the battery will last for the day. Did Xiaoi make it here yet? Do they have a rival for the Moto G6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,452 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Xiaomi Note 5 on three is SIM free and dual SIM.

Thanks for letting me know. Quick review seems to suggest the camera struggles in low-light conditions, I know you get what you pay for :-( Good lighting shots get excellent ratings. Maybe this is the one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Xiaomi Note 5 on three is SIM free and dual SIM.

You could get the higher 64gb one on honorbuy for much the same price at €200
    https://www.honorbuy.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Note+5&submit_search=Search

Their screens ain't as tough as the gorilla glass on samsungs so get a few screen protectors as Well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

boardtc wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know. Quick review seems to suggest the camera struggles in low-light conditions, I know you get what you pay for :-( Good lighting shots get excellent ratings. Maybe this is the one!

I have a one plus 3T since new and 2.5 years later is still doing the biz and I see no need to upgrade. Use it for both personal and work phone. Some messy things with it, like can only run version of WhatsApp, but thats a problem across all dual sims.

Probably is if you need a dual sim and don't want to be messing with importing from China, you'll have 2yr Irish warranty with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably is if you need a dual sim and don't want to be messing with importing from China, you'll have 2yr Irish warranty with it.

You'll have six years consumer rights if bought here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Huawei and honor (their more youth oriented brand) dual sim phones have a feature called app clone which allows you to run 2 instances of WhatsApp etc

I have an honor 10 (upgraded from s7 Edge) and am very impressed.

Was about 300stg 6 months ago

FYI - if you like your current phone, there is a dual sim variant. Think its the Asian version, also has more ram. You do have to give up ad card to 7se the second sim though
    Uriel. wrote: »
    I have a one plus 3T since new and 2.5 years later is still doing the biz and I see no need to upgrade. Use it for both personal and work phone. Some messy things with it, like can only run version of WhatsApp, but thats a problem across all dual sims.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    You'll have six years consumer rights if bought here.

You have the right to feck all if the fault doesn't appear in the first 2 years.

You could get the higher 64gb one on honorbuy for much the same price at €200
    https://www.honorbuy.com/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=Note+5&submit_search=Search

Their screens ain't as tough as the gorilla glass on samsungs so get a few screen protectors as Well.

Did not know about that site thanks. I am not on the market for a contract so this could be ideal. Looks like with EU warehouse there are no import issues.

evolving_doors Are you suggesting layering screen protectors?!

the mi a2 has a superior camera (better low light etc) and stock android (no bloat apps and longer more regular updates)

https://www.honorbuy.com/1453-xiaomi-mi-a2-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=mi+a2&results=704

the battery is smaller tho.

a2 lite for bigger battery, also stock android but camera in low light not as good

https://www.honorbuy.com/1492-xiaomi-mi-a2-lite-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=a2+lite&results=52

there is a lot to be said for stock android though.

In general I find that some phones can be bought in dual SIM spec from the likes of Amazon.de etc. Whilst the versions sold by phone companies will usually be single SIM, and even on amazon.uk may be single SIM versions also.

My point being, if you like a particular single SIM phone, check to see if it's also available in dual SIM format.

Great stuff here mate! I think I found the one, with the size of it no microsd is a non issue and when's the last time I used my headphone jack like. The battery should get me though the day I think.

glasso wrote: »
    the mi a2 has a superior camera (better low light etc) and stock android (no bloat apps and longer more regular updates)

https://www.honorbuy.com/1453-xiaomi-mi-a2-official-global-version-4gb-ram-64gb-smartphone-black.html?search_query=mi+a2&results=704

the battery is smaller tho.

I found the Xiaomi Mi A2 on Amazon.de for a better price https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07FMPVBR8
    Does anyone know what the DE/FR/IT Version is? The international version is not available to ship to Ireland
    Update: I should have said I searched the Amazon questions for this answer the best I got was the unuseful "f you want to use your phone in Sweden, I suggest you to buy the global version which is also available on Amazon if you select the option International version then you would be able to use the phone in Sweden. "

I'd imagine it's the international version.
    Probably that question has been asked before on Amazon
    On the Amazon product page, look at the questions and answers using Chrome and it'll translate to English for you.

there is only one version of the mi A2

Advertisement