Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got a recent entry level carbon road bike? happy enough?

Options
  • 15-05-2018 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi

I'm in the market for an entry level carbon bike, Shimano 105 chainset, mavic aksium wheels that sort of thing. Say 1200-1800€ (so, not Italian, then :-))

I'd say I've been looking about the internet on and off for the best part of 6 months. What I was interested in hearing from is other people who have bought one recently (last 2 years or so) in that price range, what model, and how happy they are.

Much appreciated, thanks / stabeecycle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Planetx Ireland are good value worth checking them out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Clark’s of Cavan had a good few Storcks full ultegra and DT Swiss Spline wheels. All in €2000 - a little higher than the budget you set but delighted with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tbh I think you better off getting a well speced Al than a low spec carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ted1 wrote: »

Excellent advice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I got a giant defy with disc brakes 2 years ago and tbh I hardly ever use it. €1600 for it and I end up using my 8 year old alu frame more. The bike doesn't feel any lighter or more enjoyable to ride

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got a ribble R872 105 spec. Brilliant Bike. Had to upgrade wheels. They were ****.

Got it for unde €1000.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I got a ribble R872 105 spec. Brilliant Bike. Had to upgrade wheels. They were ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Thanks all for the advice.

Yes I'm aware the differences between AI and carbon have become marginal, and will look out for that thanks.

Godtabh, yes I've been on the Ribble website more than a few times, good reviews yes, will go for Aksium wheels then. However there is also the Sportive model, stuck between that and the R872.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I guess technically outside of budget, but I picked up a 2017 TCR Advanced within your budget, and it feels/ rides a lot better than the Aluminium Defy Mechanical Disc it pushed down the line to a winter bike. Obviously a slightly different geometry/ focus too, but I'd personally find it hard to go Aluminium again.

stabeek wrote: »

Yes I'm aware the differences between AI and carbon have become marginal, and will look out for that thanks.

Godtabh, yes I've been on the Ribble website more than a few times, good reviews yes, will go for Aksium wheels then. However there is also the Sportive model, stuck between that and the R872.

check out the Merlin bikes as well, they get pretty favourable reviews. You can pick up a Cordite with R8000 and Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels for around €1700

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-cordite-ultegra-r8000-carbon-road-bike-2018-106635.html

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/merlin-cordite-ultegra-r8000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Obligatory Canyon post - the AL frame is available for €1700 with Ultegra while the carbon frame is €1600 with 105.

I have the CF with campy groupset and I love it - I couldn't recommend it more.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-al-slx-8-0.html
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-sl-7-0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I got a Focus Cayo October last year and I have been very happy with it, some minor upgrades have been applied but all has been good so far. Clarkes in Cavan and Castle cycles in Donegal sell the brand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you keep an eye on the Canyon outlet you can pick up bargains there too, I got an Ultimate CF 9.0 with full Ultegra for 1599 there a few months ago - not a mark on it

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

I picked up a Cannondale Supersix Evo with 105 and Aksium wheels, in October 2016 for £1,225 incl delivery.
    It was from Evans Cycles in the UK on sale, plus I was helped by Brexit and therefore weak sterling.

Pauls cycles usually has good deals, here's an example ( 2017 model, only 56cm)
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p7495/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-105-2017

If you wait another few months you'll start getting 2018 models on sale

Aysedasi wrote: »
    I picked up a Cannondale Supersix Evo with 105 and Aksium wheels, in October 2016 for £1,225 incl delivery.
    It was from Evans Cycles in the UK on sale, plus I was helped by Brexit and therefore weak sterling.

Pauls cycles usually has good deals, here's an example ( 2017 model, only 56cm)
    https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p7495/CANNONDALE-SUPERSIX-EVO-105-2017

If you wait another few months you'll start getting 2018 models on sale

A similar spec’d Synapse could be got for about €1600 upuntil recently.

Regarding the R872 i’ve out about 15k km into it over many types of rides/terrain. Can my fault it

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Another Canyon entry

1399 for a carbon endurance with 105 groupset with mavic aksium wheels

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/endurace-cf-7-0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

ted1 wrote: »

At that price you can get both if you look around. If 57cm frame is your size then

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-xeon-x-lite-3000-new-bike-2667468

is great value. That is good quality carbon too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

This 56cm puppy from Hollingsworth..

http://hollingsworthcycles.ie/product/trek-emonda-s5-carbon/

Nearly bought it myself but I would be using it for the commute also and it would be wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

stabeek wrote: »

I got the Ribble racing sportive earlier this year and I am extremely happy with it. I upgraded the seat post to carbon and brakes from sora to ultegra at the time of purchase. I also put my own Zonda wheels on it. All in I paid just under €1200 including delivery.

Hi ruffmut,

Yes, though those options start disappearing. Changing brakes and changing wheels is no longer available at this stage.

I dare say the price has gone a bit too, though it's still pretty good. The wheels is a pain, though, actually Ribble seemed to have stopped stocking Mavic altogether.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

I've an Olympia Ego RS which cost about 1900. Very happy with it.

Can be hard to find a dealer. My LBS deals in. If your around SCD be happy to show you.

Edit - it came with 105

Thanks for that Daithi101, but I'm pretty much decided on the Ribble sportive now. They told me Mavic Aksium's will be in stock next week, so I'll wait for that and order then.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

stabeek wrote:
    Thanks for that Daithi101, but I'm pretty much decided on the Ribble sportive now. They told me Mavic Aksium's will be in stock next week, so I'll wait for that and order then. Cheers.

No problem. Best of luck with the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Mavic Askium are entry level wheels as you know and if you are over 80kg I wouldn't bother with them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Mavic Askium are entry level wheels as you know and if you are over 80kg I wouldn't bother with them..
    What would be standard entry wheels for over 90kg?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have Aksiums on my winter bike for 2 years and I'm well over 80kg. No issues at all. They're fine wheels for the money.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Hmmm ... yes but they are are one of the better entry level wheels, or so I seem to think, don't have much a basis for that judgement however, it's all impressions.

I mean you'd wonder how much of the distinctiveness of the Krysiums (the lip formations at the base of the spokes) is necessary, or really for eye-striking value.

And there's the yellow of the Mavic logo .. I admit to having my fair share of Go-faster-stripes-itis :-D

siochain wrote: »
    What would be standard entry wheels for over 90kg?

I wouldnt be an expert but from personal experience Ive gone through 3 rear aksiums in as many years..From memory I couldnt find a weight rating on them...
    Tried Fulcrum r700 db’s broke spokes in them too...
    Compagnolo Zondas c17’s have yet to let me down albeit twice the price...
    Hope is a brand name Im hearing time and time again..but couldnt tell you anything about them.

Brian? wrote: »
    I have Aksiums on my winter bike for 2 years and I'm well over 80kg. No issues at all. They're fine wheels for the money.

All depends what sort of mileage you are doing on the winter bike I suppose?
    To give you an idea one my exploding Aksium rear wheels last year in November alone did over 18'000 meters climbing...I was away off my target for the year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I’ve had a number of sets of Askiums over the years and always found them great, if ultimately disposable! And would have been well over 80kgs for a lot of that time!

Advertisement