Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent

Comments

If you did buy a house and interest rates increased MASSIVELY would you imagine that you'd need a scheme to help with that too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

na1 wrote: »
    Unless you're on 50k+ you pay almost nothing in taxes.
    If you're on 60k+ you'd have no problem getting mortgage.

PAYE: 20% 0-€34,550
    USC: 0.5% - 5% - €34,550
    PRSI - don't forget your 100 euro A&E fee or 50 euro Gp fee then your prescription.

VAT
    Road Tax
    Property Tax - passed on from the landlord to the tenant for sure.
    Capital gains tax

Almost nothing :rolleyes:

thomas 123 wrote: »
    PRSI .............

On a €34,550 salary the Total deductions for a single person are €5,920.
    Not insignificant.

On a €44,550 salary the Total deductions for a single person are €10,795........... the bite is far more noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

thomas 123 wrote: »
    PRSI - don't forget your 100 euro A&E fee or 50 euro Gp fee then your prescription.

VAT
    Road Tax
    Property Tax - passed on from the landlord to the tenant for sure.
    Capital gains tax

Almost nothing :rolleyes:

6k a year - is just not enough for the Irish budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Augeo wrote: »
    I certainly got the impression that renting forever was indeed your plan. Once your pension and inheritance etc went to plan for you.....

Well then you got the wrong impression. I didn't say that was my plan. 'I thought perhaps' is not the same as 'I planned'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What do you guys think the government will do in October(if anything)?

optogirl wrote: »
    Well then you got the wrong impression. I didn't say that was my plan. 'I thought perhaps' is not the same as 'I planned'.

lol

So when did you start planning to buy?

lol

About 7 years ago when I was first pregnant - thought turned to security over flexibility. I'm really not sure what it is you want me to say. Yes I thought I might be able to rent forever - many countries cater for this and I thought ireland would inevitably move in that direction. No I wasn't saving for a house in my 20s. I understand that you have no time for my peeves about rent or ability to buy a house but your lols and smiley faces are just so crass and condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

lol

I really can't wrap my head around your attitude. So Optogirl is naive to think that she could rent indefinitely (something that is entirely possible on the continent and should be possible here too).

But you also think that she should just suck it up if she can't afford to buy a house, even though she's working and saving but unfortunately her rent is too high for her to be able to save enough to buy. Even though monthly mortgage payments would be less than rent.

You have the gall to call her selfish for expecting the government to sort out this absolute sh1theap of a situation which plenty of people are facing.

She isn't asking for a free house, she wants to have a realistic chance of saving to buy one at some point which seems impossible in the current situation. Where do you expect people to live exactly?

You are the one with the selfish attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

A place went up yesterday, me and someone are ready to move in, called straight away, all our ducks in a line and they want to do a viewing on monday after it has been up for the weekend. WHY? We are offering you the asking price, two full time employed in the area non smoking no pets etc, ready to hand over the deposit today. Why do you need to leave it up longer? So someone else can come along and offer over the asking price in bribes or whatever else?

Because part of being a landlord is managing your risk. You find the 30 or so people who want to rent your property. You collect their information and assess each applicant. Who has the best job? Who says they’re in for the long haul? Is there anyone who you know through your circle of contacts? Who has the best references? Who has their own couch? Who has their own mattresses? Would you prefer a couple rather than two mates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

na1 wrote: »
    I'm not blaming you, I'm just asking.
    What about people who were 'wise' enough to buy the houses before the property prices collapsed? Should the government help them out of negative equity?
    It has. By building an inadequate number of dwellings and inflating property prices. Also, the ECB has helped out those on tracker mortgages. They have been very well looked after from all sides, not least of all from the courts given the record low number of repossessions relative to other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

For the posters who say the government can’t “magic” houses or similar, they can or should have magiced them by now. It wasn’t yesterday the crisis started. The government could rezone areas for development, punish land hoarders and penalize owners of derelict building. The government could fund the building of housing estates which they could rent at a profit to middle income families, other countries have done similar, they could also sell such properties on for a small profit. It’s not rocket science. On a basic level the government could build 100 houses at a cost of €300,000 each and sell them for €340,000 each. They could take more control of the problem directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Can't complain about my rent. Two of us sharing and have been in the same place for many, many years.

Last rent increase was 15 years ago. All I will say is that it works out at a two figure sum per week each.

Landlord could get 7-8 times that but has never asked as we look after the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Can't complain about my rent. Two of us sharing and have been in the same place for many, many years.

Last rent increase was 15 years ago. All I will say is that it works out at a two figure sum per week each.

Landlord could get 7-8 times that but has never asked as we look after the place.

Most tenants look after the place, in my experience.

You don't get many landlords like yours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Nathan Carter has a show on RTE. He also got his brother a show on RTE. They have actual shows on telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I really can't wrap my head around your attitude. So Optogirl is naive to think that she could rent indefinitely (something that is entirely possible on the continent and should be possible here too).

But you also think that she should just suck it up if she can't afford to buy a house, even though she's working and saving but unfortunately her rent is too high for her to be able to save enough to buy. Even though monthly mortgage payments would be less than rent.

You have the gall to call her selfish for expecting the government to sort out this absolute sh1theap of a situation which plenty of people are facing.

She isn't asking for a free house, she wants to have a realistic chance of saving to buy one at some point which seems impossible in the current situation. Where do you expect people to live exactly?

How long have we had a housing crisis maybe a whole 2-3 years. How about before that. Was she saving or planning for her future. People can’t just one day, I’m in the mood to buy a house next week. The amount of money your talking about is massive on an individual level and people need to take accountability for their own actions and choices. You need to have the foresight to plan for the unexpected and this crisis will pass like everything, just right now and for maybe the past few years people have found it hard to save.

Secondly,It is always more expensive to buy a house than rent, your mortgage payment might be 1200 while rent is 1500. You need to pay for maintenance and upkeep which will always come in ahead of just paying rent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

KevinCavan wrote: »
    For the posters who say the government can’t “magic” houses or similar, they can or should have magiced them by now. It wasn’t yesterday the crisis started. The government could rezone areas for development, punish land hoarders and penalize owners of derelict building. The government could fund the building of housing estates which they could rent at a profit to middle income families, other countries have done similar, they could also sell such properties on for a small profit. It’s not rocket science. On a basic level the government could build 100 houses at a cost of €300,000 each and sell them for €340,000 each. They could take more control of the problem directly.

Where is all of this money magically going to appear? They could do it but like you and me,we could walk into the Ferrari garage and buy whatever we want but we are on a budget like everyone else in life and may not be able to afford it.

I suppose the government are also known for being more efficient than the private sector as well so they can probably do things for half the cost.tbh the more stuff the government can privatise or at minimum stay away from the better.just take a look at other global economies that have a high dependence on public company’s and you will see.

Finally as I said in my last comment. This housing crisis has only being happening for 2 or 3 years. It’s typical of people’s responses to be knee jerk reactions to fix it now and deal with the consequences later. We should really go the German model of how everything is set up long term and although it some decisions may not be politically palatable,Ireland as a nation would be so much better off.

Fol20 wrote: »
    Where is all of this money magically going to appear? They could do it but like you and me,we could walk into the Ferrari garage and buy whatever we want but we are on a budget like everyone else in life and may not be able to afford it.

I suppose the government are also known for being more efficient than the private sector as well so they can probably do things for half the cost.tbh the more stuff the government can privatise or at minimum stay away from the better.just take a look at other global economies that have a high dependence on public company’s and you will see.

Finally as I said in my last comment. This housing crisis has only being happening for 2 or 3 years. It’s typical of people’s responses to be knee jerk reactions to fix it now and deal with the consequences later. We should really go the German model of how everything is set up long term and although it some decisions may not be politically palatable,Ireland as a nation would be so much better off.

Admittedly I’m no expert on government finances, but it seems like taxes are high here and I’m sure come election time they will be throwing money at everything. The country is meant to be booming, employment levels are high, surely they could buy a few development sites and build houses on them as an experiment?

Cleopatra_ wrote: »

She wants a scheme or other government intervention to magic herself out of a situation that she has put herself in. We aren't on the continent, renting indefinitely & hoping/planning to do so into retirement was a ludicrous idea.

You'd want to have a serious pension to over consider that a realistic option and I reckon her pension situation is likely no more impressive than her planning skills TBH.

She said she has never been in a position to buy.... the government can't really be held responsible for folk in that position. Having a job doesn't elevate you to some status where by you can reasonably expect to buy property when and where it tickles your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

There are still plenty of places to buy cheap in places like tallaght. I did it myself last year on a single salary.

Mortgage on a 3 bed less than what one of my family is paying for a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Corb_lund wrote: »
    There are still plenty of places to buy cheap in places like tallaght. I did it myself last year on a single salary.

You must be a good salary.

If the house was €200k, then you'd need 10% deposit which is €20k. That leaves €180k to be mortgaged. So at 3.5 times your salary, then you'd need to be earning over €50k. Most people don't earn €50k. And most houses are more than €200k too. You did well for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

BattleCorp wrote: »

If the house was €200k, then you'd need 10% deposit which is €20k. That leaves €180k to be mortgaged. So at 3.5 times your salary, then you'd need to be earning over €50k. Most people don't earn €50k. And most houses are more than €200k too. You did well for yourself.

The world doesn’t end at Tallaght though; for people on low salaries, it’s not unreasonable for them to live outside of Dublin.

The world doesn’t end at Tallaght though; for people on low salaries, it’s not unreasonable for them to live outside of Dublin.

Yes, you are correct. People can move outside of Dublin. That might be an option for some people but not for everyone.

Someone earning approx. €30k - €40k working in Dublin probably won't be able to afford a house in Dublin. They might be able to afford a house in somewhere like Carlow which is just about within commuting distance. But when you factor in the cost of transport to and from work, it's not really feasible.

I commute to Dublin and it costs in excess of €150pw.

Someone earning approx. €30k - €40k working in Dublin probably won't be able to afford a house in Dublin. ............

Was it ever overly feasible in the last 20 years for someone on €30k/€40k to buy in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Admittedly I’m no expert on government finances, but it seems like taxes are high here and I’m sure come election time they will be throwing money at everything. The country is meant to be booming, employment levels are high, surely they could buy a few development sites and build houses on them as an experiment?

Overall taxes aren't high.

The central and local govts already own lots of land.

No need to buy any land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's not, but why would you endure commuting hell, wasting hours of your life each week when you can move to another country with a sane housing policy and have a quality standard of life and money to spare?

It's not, but why would you endure commuting hell, wasting hours of your life each week when you can move to another country with a sane housing policy and have a quality standard of life and money to spare?

Where is this country you speak of?

Most of the developed countries have similar problems to us when it comes to housing.

But, but, hurr durr dem peoples are getting FREE houses!

Where is this country you speak of?

Most of the developed countries have similar problems to us when it comes to housing.

To paraphrase the other poster, the world doesn't end at Ireland.

If you are earning €30/€40k in Dublin these days I don't think many other countries will offer a better bang for buck life tbh.

• Advertisement

To paraphrase the other poster, the world doesn't end at Ireland.

Agreed. But you still haven't given an example.

And if you think that moving to another country is a sensible alternative to having to commute to work, well...................

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Or just get an exemption from the bank for ratio.

Salary has gone up fairly substantially in the past 6 months well past the 50s but before that it wasn't that high. I just saved like a dog, was pretty antisocial, cut down on drinking, cut out car for a while etc

Once I really started cutting down on stuff I could save a substantial amount of my salary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you are earning €30/€40k in Dublin these days I don't think many other countries will offer a better bang for buck life tbh.

Not sure about that. Transport/housing/health a mess.

bullpost wrote: »
    Not sure about that. Transport/housing/health a mess.

Compared to where?
    On €30k/€40k ish per annum.

Or just get an exemption from the bank for ratio.

Salary has gone up fairly substantially in the past 6 months well past the 50s but before that it wasn't that high. I just saved like a dog, was pretty antisocial, cut down on drinking, cut out car for a while etc

Once I really started cutting down on stuff I could save a substantial amount of my salary...

The banks are only allowed to give a certain percentage of people an exemption on the 3.5:1 income ratio.

And I'll have to strongly disagree with you that most people are on more than €50k.

I did similar to you, saved and saved and also got lucky through buying at the right time (mid recession).

Agreed. But you still haven't given an example.

And if you think that moving to another country is a sensible alternative to having to commute to work, well...................

Oh ok, I'm sorry.
    Nobody has to endure long commutes, or have trouble finding somewhere to rent for a reasonable price, working singles as well as couples can afford to buy, our healthcare is the best in the world, no pensions timebomb and we've got excellent childcare the envy of any country. And the sun shines all day long.
    It's all fake news folks!

Oh ok, I'm sorry.
    Nobody has to endure long commutes, or have trouble finding somewhere to rent for a reasonable price, working singles as well as couples can afford to buy, our healthcare is the best in the world, no pensions timebomb and we've got excellent childcare the envy of any country. And the sun shines all day long.
    It's all fake news folks!

I'm not trying to be a dick or pick arguments with you but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The difficulties you mention above are pretty much the same in a lot of places.

In pretty much every developed country there isn't an overabundance of cheap housing, especially in capital cities where most of the work is. This means that people regularly have to commute. Since we've moved off the land and into cities it's part and parcel of modern life no matter what country you are in and there's not much we can do about it.

Our health system isn't the best, but it's far from the worst either. The main problem with it is that it is very inefficient and people in it are reluctant to change.

There is a pension time bomb, certainly. And I don't think most people in Ireland realise it. But I'd say most other countries would have a similar problem but many of them are doing something about it, e.g. Australia have a compulsory pension scheme.

Ireland isn't all doom and gloom. Yes, we have problems, but no more so than anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

She wants a scheme or other government intervention to magic herself out of a situation that she has put herself in. We aren't on the continent, renting indefinitely & hoping/planning to do so into retirement was a ludicrous idea.

You'd want to have a serious pension to over consider that a realistic option and I reckon her pension situation is likely no more impressive than her planning skills TBH.

She said she has never been in a position to buy.... the government can't really be held responsible for folk in that position. Having a job doesn't elevate you to some status where by you can reasonably expect to buy property when and where it tickles your fancy.

Is the government not responsible for ensuring the majority of its citizens have access to necessities such as affordable housing? Would be better than piddling money down the drain on things like emergency accommodation. There's probably knock-on effects on things like stress levels too.

This "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" thinking is very America. The myth that those without are just not working hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Worked in Dublin for three years hated every second of it. Moved out of Dublin and now have a 10 minute drive into work with parking and no traffic. Also able to buy a nice house for 160k and I'm in the 30k to 40k bracket range. Was on 50k in Dublin.

I will never ever return to Dublin even if my salary doubles. The traffic, no parking, expensive houses and rent etc. Never ****ing again.

Dublin is a kit. I don't know how people don't drive into barriers on the carriage lanes

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be a dick or pick arguments with you but the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The difficulties you mention above are pretty much the same in a lot of places.

In pretty much every developed country there isn't an overabundance of cheap housing, especially in capital cities where most of the work is. This means that people regularly have to commute. Since we've moved off the land and into cities it's part and parcel of modern life no matter what country you are in and there's not much we can do about it.

Our health system isn't the best, but it's far from the worst either. The main problem with it is that it is very inefficient and people in it are reluctant to change.

There is a pension time bomb, certainly. And I don't think most people in Ireland realise it. But I'd say most other countries would have a similar problem but many of them are doing something about it, e.g. Australia have a compulsory pension scheme.

Ireland isn't all doom and gloom. Yes, we have problems, but no more so than anywhere else.

It isn't all doom and gloom, but why the actual fcuk isn't anything done to improve matters, instead of the usual 'shur it'll be grand'/'keep the recovery going' shyte?

Maybe it suits some people that the present crappy situation persists? Or is it we can't get our finger out of our ass as a nation wrt long term planning?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Is the government not responsible for ensuring the majority of its citizens have access to necessities such as affordable housing?.............

Don't the majority have that already?

It isn't all doom and gloom, but why the actual fcuk isn't anything done to improve matters, instead of the usual 'shur it'll be grand'/'keep the recovery going' shyte?

Maybe it suits some people that the present crappy situation persists? Or is it we can't get our finger out of our ass as a nation wrt long term planning?

well what i've learned from this discussion is that no, we can't and indeed shouldn't look at solving this on a governmental level, as anyone in a precarious situation with regard to mortgage & rent has only themselves to blame and looking for the government to assist in solving the housing crisis is akin to demanding they 'throw you a house' 'magic a house' or requesting a straight up handout for a house.

If I didn't know a lot of people in the same situation as me I would begin to question whether I was the only one without a mind on mortgages and retirement in my teens and 20s, such is the level of sarcasm and sneer directed at me for not having enough money to buy a house or for, gasp, thinking that long term renting was ever an option.

If I didn't know a lot of people in the same situation as me I would begin to question whether I was the only one ...........

Where do you want to buy and what's your income?

You've already mentioned you thought you could rent into retirement through your pension and possible inheritance btw.

well what i've learned from this discussion is that no, we can't and indeed shouldn't look at solving this on a governmental level, as anyone in a precarious situation with regard to mortgage & rent has only themselves to blame and looking for the government to assist in solving the housing crisis is akin to demanding they 'throw you a house' 'magic a house' or requesting a straight up handout for a house.

If I didn't know a lot of people in the same situation as me I would begin to question whether I was the only one without a mind on mortgages and retirement in my teens and 20s, such is the level of sarcasm and sneer directed at me for not having enough money to buy a house or for, gasp, thinking that long term renting was ever an option.

I think there are a lot of landlords on here, with a slightly guilty conscience about what they are charging renters. They justify what they are charging the renters by saying “ fcuk them they should have planned out their future better, it’s their own fault they pay €2000 a month now.”

My income is really not your business and I'm not posting it here. Dublin I'm afraid - all of my family are here (all in same postcode) which means I have no huge childcare costs and one son already in school (religious free which is a major bonus) and other son accepted for same so moving would mean a big disruption and additional costs of childcare factored in. Both working in Dublin too - husband's job is in a few different places all easily accessible from where we live.

I await your scorn with baited breath.

• Advertisement

You've already mentioned you thought you could rent into retirement through your pension and possible inheritance btw.

Christ this has really got you annoyed hasn't it. I said I WAS happy renting and didn't foresee how unmanageable that would get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

My income is really not your business and I'm not posting it here. Dublin I'm afraid - all of my family are here (all in same postcode) which means I have no huge childcare costs and one son already in school (religious free which is a major bonus) and other son accepted for same so moving would mean a big disruption and additional costs of childcare factored in. Both working in Dublin too - husband's job is in a few different places all easily accessible from where we live.

I await your scorn with baited breath.

I see no reason why someone who needs to be in Dublin for work and childcare should be priced out of living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Don't the majority have that already?

Do they? Can most people afford to buy a home in Ireland right now? I'm ignoring renting as an option because you scoffed at that as a naive option earlier.

My income is really not your business and I'm not posting it here..........

Dual incomes.
    Mmmmm ........... unless ye are on the minimum wage ye likely have an income of €50k+ and no/little childcare costs.

A couple on €50k/annum take home €43k/year if married before pension contributions etc ........ an ole scheme for such folk probably is down on the list of government priorities to be fair, rightly so IMO.

what postcodes tickle your fancy btw.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Do they? Can most people afford to buy a home in Ireland right now? I'm ignoring renting as an option because you scoffed at that as a naive option earlier.

Most people already have one I reckon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement