Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent

Comments

optogirl wrote: »
    Christ this has really got you annoyed hasn't it. ...........

I'm one of the few posting in here who isn't annoyed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Augeo wrote: »
    Dual incomes.
    Mmmmm ........... unless ye are on the minimum wage ye likely have an income of €50k+ and no/little childcare costs.

A couple on €50k/annum take home €43k/year if married before pension contributions etc ........ an ole scheme for such folk probably is down on the list of government priorities to be fair, rightly so IMO.

I am not on minimum wage - my husband is via 2 jobs and is paid slightly more, though short hours for a third. Banks will only take 3.5 times on 1.5 of his salaries and not on the total he earns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read the first page or two, look, if you have the option of setting up a log cabin in your parents garden etc, do that, if buying is off the agenda in the short term. Renting is a joke, living in total **** for the amount of money you pay, dealing with other peoples ****, landlords ****. Rent hikes etc. If moving out of Ireland is an option, i.e. if you are young and single with no string attached, it is worth strong consideration.

If that is not an option, you need to get off the insane money wheel i.e. rent, so that you can save and take control yourself, by buying or simply stay living in a log cabin etc, which are streets ahead of the kips that most people are renting...

There are 3 bed log cabins on donedeal asking 10k, 4/5 bed are 15k or thereabouts. One beds are 5k. That is the shell only. My point is, the repay period is very rapid IF they are an option for you and they are streets ahead of any other option, possibly including buying, depending on specific circumstances. You get what all Irish aspire too, detached property with a garden, decorate as you like. No assholes to deal with going forward and you arent being bled dry..

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of landlords on here, with a slightly guilty conscience about what they are charging renters. They justify what they are charging the renters by saying “ fcuk them they should have planned out their future better, it’s their own fault they pay €2000 a month now.”

Any current day landlord would have gotten market rates back in the recession and they're getting market rates now.
    I couldn't imagine too many of them feel guilty at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Most people already have one I reckon.

Which is all well and good until you realise that new people are being born every day and house prices are rising faster than wages.

You're coming across like you have the attitude that you got your stuff sorted so to hell with everyone else; they just aren't trying hard enough. Not sure if you have kids or not, but what do you foresee happening when todays children become adults? Will they be able to afford to move out at 18 and buy their first home in their 20's if they just knuckle down and work hard?

xckjoo wrote: »
    Which is all well and good until you realise that new people are being born every day and house prices are rising faster than wages..........

Rest assured, that likely won't continue.
    ........ so to hell with everyone else; they just aren't trying hard enough...........

there's someone in here with the guts of €4k/month (likely more) going into their house who want government help to buy a house in the Dublin postcode that suits them, ffs like.

What makes you say that? Haven't seen trends globally that show either wage rates increasing or house prices decreasing for any sustained amount of time. We had the drop in property market here after 2008, but this is the mess that's come out of that. Property prices are right back up while wages still remain fairly stagnant.
    there's someone in here with the guts of €4k/month (likely more) going into their house who want government help to buy a house in the Dublin postcode that suits them, ffs like.
    Optogirl? Are you reading different posts to me or just imagining lines to read between? I haven't read most of the thread so apologies if you're talking about someone else

What makes you say that? Haven't seen trends globally that show either wage rates increasing or house prices decreasing for any sustained amount of time. .............

Global trends are of little use relative to the Irish basket case property market.
    Property prices here aren't yet right back up where they were either iirc

I assume you're referring to me - take rent and all the other costs of living out of that. We cannot get a mortgage from the bank so yes, a government scheme that accepted our ability to pay over the size of our deposit would be very very helpful. We already know you view this as a handout, I view it as a hand up. I am more than willing to pay back any loan I get - it's getting the loan that is the problem at the moment, despite proven ability to pay above what an average mortgage repayment is - even in the postcode of my desire!

I didn't say I want a house in the postcode that suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Rest assured, that likely won't continue

I'm in my mid 40's and for as long as I can remember house prices have always risen faster than wages. I can't see that situation changing any time soon.

• Advertisement

..........all of my family are here (all in same postcode) which means I have no huge childcare costs and one son already in school (religious free which is a major bonus) and other son accepted for same so moving would mean a big disruption and additional costs of childcare factored in. Both working in Dublin too - husband's job is in a few different places all easily accessible from where we live. .............

I didn't say I want a house in the postcode that suits me.

So what postcodes are an option?
    The banks are not giving you a mortgage for good reason. We've another load of people who moan about how they were allowed to borrow too much in days gone by.

So what postcodes are an option?

there are about 5 which would mean a good or reasonable commute to school for kids.

there are about 5 which would mean a good or reasonable commute to school for kids.

List them.

List them.

Why?

Well you're on here telling us that
    - the banks won't lend to ye
    - ye have little/no childcare costs
    - €4k ish or more a month income
    - saving for 6/7 years for deposit
    - you want a government scheme to facilitate you buying a home

There's something about your situation that doesn't add up, IMO.

Global trends are of little use relative to the Irish basket case property market.
    rents are a third higher than the boom apparently, selling prices are still a little lower...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    rents are a third higher than the boom apparently, selling prices are still a little lower...

It is selling prices were being referred to.

What is it that doesn't add up? Between us our income is just short of 4k most months. The most we've been offered mortgage wise is 180k (we will wait for potential annual payrises before asking again). That's not enough to buy a house.

Our rent is 1500 p/m and going up 4% each year so the amount we can reasonably save is very limited although we are chipping away well enough considering. The fact remains though that no matter how big the deposit, it's the multiple of income that's the problem. We are just hoping that we get to stay here for another couple of years, rent increases and all, and keep saving because there is little or nothing around for similar price in the rental market. But the threat of eviction or landlord wanting to sell is always hanging. We would be in a serious situation if that were to happen.

I don't know how my naming postcodes that would be most suitable will assuage your doubts? Or why you think I have concocted this story - perhaps because I enjoy getting mocked by strangers for my bad planning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

There's a lot about your comments that are sadly very very clear.

I rent, there is zero chance of me saving up to get a deposit.

20% of the value of the house I rent currently would be near as damnit 40 grand.

How in God's name can anyone save that with all the other expenses we have ?

Do you not think just for ONCE it would be good to actually give something to benefit hard workers and not scroungers ? Just for the craic like ?

• Advertisement

Not sure if you've noticed, but we're in a global market now. You should look at what's going on in places like London, New York and LA if you think Ireland is the only basket case property market.

List them.

You're straying very far into personal information territory. Do you want SSN and mothers maiden name too? Maybe some bank account statements with proof of income?

With a €200k budget there should be options .........
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin-city/houses-for-sale/?s%5Bmxp%5D=200000&s%5Bmnb%5D=2
    Also, apartments are not the devil some make them out to be.

Not sure if you've noticed, but we're in a global market now. You should look at what's going on in places like London, New York and LA if you think Ireland is the only basket case property market.

You're straying very far into personal information territory. Do you want SSN and mothers maiden name too? Maybe some bank account statements with proof of income?

I think my cheeks were less red when on the phone to the bank :o

There's a lot about your comments that are sadly very very clear.

I rent, there is zero chance of me saving up to get a deposit.

20% of the value of the house I rent currently would be near as damnit 40 grand.

How in God's name can anyone save that with all the other expenses we have ?

Do you not think just for ONCE it would be good to actually give something to benefit hard workers and not scroungers ? Just for the craic like ?

But then how would they get their sense of superiority? :D

But then how would they get their sense of superiority? :D

Ah yeah, didn't factor that in lol!!! :D

when folk claim they are protesting for schemes to help them while having 4k/month income and no/lttle childcare costs I can only imagine they are being quite selective on where they want to buy.

What's personal about revelaing what 5 Dublin postcodes would suit?

• Advertisement

when folk claim they are protesting for schemes to help them while having 4k/month income and no/lttle childcare costs I can only imagine they are being quite selective on where they want to buy.

Because it's none of your business.

Most definitely, I'll go on the list too :)
    I'm a hardworker.

I'd have no problem with an apartment if it was big enough for the 4 of us (and long term that's 4 adults)

Again, the school is a major factor for us - our eldest took a while to settle and is now very happy there. It would be major for him to move (is quite an anxious child).

Because it's none of your business.

It's a chat forum.
    I suspect she wants to live in D4 etc tbh.

It's a chat forum.

No prejudice there eh ?

• Advertisement

No prejudice there eh ?

Well if your budget is limited your choices are limited. Unless you get a "scheme" etc........... ie someone else footing the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I wouldn't fancy living in many of those places to be honest.

Considering you've already asked for other information and the poster has revealed some person info about income, family, etc. you're probably about a step or two away from being able to ID them at this stage.

I didn't claim I was 'protesting for schemes'. The housing protests encompass the situation for people sleeping rough, people being evicted so landlords can push up rents, people living in squalid conditions, landlords demanding 2 months+ deposits etc etc. There are myriad problems to do with housing. My own is just one and that is not why I'm protesting - it does give me impetus to do so though.

Do you think that 4k a month is going directly into a mortgage account? We rent - we eat sometimes too and enjoy the pleasures that modern gas & electricity supply afford. We even go on holiday once a year to a seaside town. Saving a lot while paying big rent is difficult. I don't know why that's hard to grasp?

It's a chat forum.

Jaysus - that's given me some light relief. You think I'm renting in D4 for 1500 a month?

Do you think that 4k a month is going directly into a mortgage account? ..............

No.
    However I think €2500/month after rent is a decent amount of cash. Don't you?

Jaysus - that's given me some light relief. You think I'm renting in D4 for 1500 a month?

I've no idea where you reside or where you want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

you need to relax and get down off your high horse you jumped at me too cause I don't earn enough and said I should just give up work id be better off, when im hard working and have been for many years and struggle in todays market

No.
    However I think €2500/month after rent is a decent amount of cash. Don't you?

I do. And it was wonderful 6 years ago when our rent was circa 800 a month. How much of it can be saved is another question and again, the deposit is not our major issue although those goalposts are moving with every month, it's the multiples of salary. While I accept there have to be lending rules, it's very frustrating to know you could pay a mortgage, but can't get one.

Mrnew wrote: »
    you ...... said I should just give up work id be better off.............

No, I think you;ll find I didn't say that so maybe you need to relax yourself

• Advertisement

honestly, if you are looking to buy, most people probably need to move back home or into a log cabin etc for a while. The prices are rising quicker than any mickey mouse savings you will make if paying market rent in Dublin...

I do. And it was wonderful 6 years ago when our rent was circa 800 a month. How much of it can be saved is another question and again.............

Well there's €700 / month that could have been saved back then anyway compared to today's rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

No, I think you;ll find I didn't say that so maybe you need to relax yourself

My mistake you didn't but you are very negative towards the whole situation like can you not see it from other peoples situations not everyone wants a scheme but house prices are out of reach of people like me who are low earners I have gone to college up skilled but not every one can work in a 50k job. and the way it is now there is no hope of saving for a deposit just pay the rent as it goes up and up

Well there's €700 / month that could have been saved back then anyway compared to today's rent.

We should put you in charge of the country, you seem to have everyone's business sorted out for them

bluewolf wrote: »
    We should put you in charge of the country, you seem to have everyone's business sorted out for them

oh lol, good girl yourself.

Yes that's right. But we weren't saving that much at that stage. We didn't base our savings on our rent 7 years down the road minus our rent now. Mad behaviour I know! We have been consistently saving though.

............ Mad behaviour I know! ...........

Not at all.
    What's mad / unreasonable is wanting a "scheme" to help you our 6 years later, IMO.

Not at all.
    What's mad / unreasonable is wanting a "scheme" to help you our 6 years later, IMO.

In what way is someone else footing the bill if I procure a mortgage and pay it back?

Why do you keep putting scheme in inverted commas?

In what way is someone else footing the bill if I procure a mortgage and pay it back?

Why do you keep putting scheme in inverted commas?

Procuring a mortgage isn't a scheme, you've already said you can't borrow enough so you want a scheme as described below........ you reckon a welfare state is a good thing too.
    If you want to borrow more than the banks will give you it's likely that you aren't able to make the repayments longterm, especially if interest rates rise.

I didn't mention a particular scheme. I said I am hopeful that the government could introduce schemes. Schemes that might take rates being paid in rent into account, facilitate loans using that as collateral etc etc. If you consider that a handout, then that's fair enough. We disagree. I am of the opinion that a welfare state is a good thing, much as that might lead you to scoff and sneer at me.

• Advertisement

Procuring a mortgage isn't a scheme, you've already said you can't borrow enough so you want a scheme as described below........ you reckon a welfare state is a good thing too.
    If you want to borrow more than the banks will give you it's likely that you aren't able to make the repayments longterm, especially if interest rates rise.

I really don't know why I am bothering to reply but everyone needs a chance to be educated.

My rent at the moment is about 120 a month less than a mortgage would be.

Yet I cannot get a mortgage without a deposit I have no chance of saving up for.

You can cover the mortgage payments and be unable to secure a mortgage and help should be given to working people to achieve such a mortgage.

Advertisement