Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The whole attitude of “who owns the property?” is wrong. The tenant is the one choosing to live in it as their home therefore they have more of a right to not be disturbed than a landlord has to do what he wants with it. We’re talking about a Home here, someone is renting the dwelling to live in it. In an economy where houses are impossible to buy without taking on astronomical levels of debt, people have no choice but to rent and therefore the lessee should be seen as a practical de facto owner for the time they rent the property.

Hear hear! well said...

4ensic15 wrote: »
    It was 22 years ago, so obviously maths are not your strong point.........

lol ............ from a comment on a forum you can quantify my mathematical ability. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

myshirt wrote: »
    Property taxes need to go up substantially. I don't like it. You don't like it. But it has to happen.
    CAT thresholds also need to drop aswell, and CAT rates need to go up. Substantially.

CAT is 33%, high enough already.

Lower rates on a broader base is the way to go with most taxes.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Whaaaaa. You think a tenant should have more rights than the person who owns the house. G'wayyyy will ya.

we, ie tenants are paying HIM. He is not paying US ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Graces7 wrote: »
    Whaaaaa. You think a tenant should have more rights than the person who owns the house. G'wayyyy will ya.

we, ie tenants are paying HIM. He is not paying US ..

It's his house. He owns it. He lets people stay there for a fee. If they behave and pay, then all is good.

It works both ways though. The landlord has to do his stuff too such as upkeep etc.

But at the end of the day it's the landlords property and therefore he has to have more rights than the tenant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

It's his house. He owns it. He lets people stay there for a fee. If they behave and pay, then all is good.

It works both ways though. The landlord has to do his stuff too such as upkeep etc.

But at the end of the day it's the landlords property and therefore he has to have more rights than the tenant.

I get this,I really do, but it really is heartbreaking after loads of years to be reminded every 3 months that where you live isn't really your home. We have always had super positive reports from our inspections, and the landlords/agents have never had any course to complain. In fact we are generally told we are too good/accommodating by the inspectors. I know the RTB offers some protections but really we are there at the landlord's whims. If they decide to renovate they can tell us to get lost and unfortunately with a young family and one income, it would be difficult to get a place to rent in Dublin or commuter towns. There's too much competition from people without kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I get this,I really do, but it really is heartbreaking after loads of years to be reminded every 3 months that where you live isn't really your home. We have always had super positive reports from our inspections, and the landlords/agents have never had any course to complain. In fact we are generally told we are too good/accommodating by the inspectors. I know the RTB offers some protections but really we are there at the landlord's whims. If they decide to renovate they can tell us to get lost and unfortunately with a young family and one income, it would be difficult to get a place to rent in Dublin or commuter towns. There's too much competition from people without kids.

I can definitely understand where your coming from and tbh if certain laws and regulations, taxes etc went the ll way(nothing has been given to ll in 5+years) I would be much more receptive of removing the renovation option unless absolutely necessary or very extensive(or cost a lot more than a few k). Mind you, it’s very situational and depends on your relationship. I would generally give tenants the benefit of the doubt but if someone is abusing it, sometime I will get rid of them while for others I would give them much more leeway. Personally with family members or selling the house should always be an option for ll however if some are doing the dog on this, compensation to the tenants would and is already coming their way and I would have no sympathy for the ll.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Shouldn’t the tax system be used to motivate landlords to give more concessions to tenants?

I wouldn’t increase the rent at all for (say) 10 years if I got a lower tax rate for example. Maybe a 10 year lease, no increases, greater certainty for the tenant, etc.

agree totally and after many years and several tenancies I am deeply relieved to be with the council. whims , yes, and that seems so unprofessional. Or that we are just paying to keep the place warm and dry until they need it. A convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Shouldn’t the tax system be used to motivate landlords to give more concessions to tenants?

I wouldn’t increase the rent at all for (say) 10 years if I got a lower tax rate for example. Maybe a 10 year lease, no increases, greater certainty for the tenant, etc.

It’s more security for the ll as well. I dread when people tell me they are moving out as well as it costs me money to make it nice and clean again, and there can be small gaps of a week or 2 in between. If I had consistency like that, I would love it. I have noticed over time that Irish tend to move on much quicker than Eastern Europeans because of the model we have here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You are still depending on the tenant to pay the rent and take care of the property mand not disappear when it suits him. It is all one-sided. If you could get rid of a destructive or non-paying tenant promptly it would be worth more than any tax incentive.

Advertisement