Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything available for over 40's beginners?

• 16-05-2018 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

It's probably a daft question. It's something I wish I had taken up when I was younger as I have great respect for the fitness and the disipline involved. If I got back in shape I would weigh in as a super-middle weight but obviously I would get my ass handed to me if i were to compete against someone my own age (42) who had been training for years. I would love to take it up purely for the fitness aspect but I love the idea of competing as well with someone with the same level as me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Best thing to do is approach local boxing trainers and ask their advice on what is available in the locality. The training etc will be no problem but finding someone your own age may be an issue. Finding a beginner or novice half your age but at your level in a few months training shouldn't be a problem.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you want to compete against people in a similar position just google for white collar boxing.

There used to be a few outfits that trained beginners and put on shows. I'd say they're still going.

If you did get to "compete" on a show, you'd probably be better off to be honest if they did put you in against the fella who had been doing it for years and was only really giving you a move around

Will cost a few quid though........... But probably less in the long run that starting your own version outside the local chipper on a Saturday night :pac:

Or get your local club - GAA/Rugby/Soccer to organise a white collar fight night as a fundraiser and jump onto that bandwagon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If you live any where near Ashbourne, look up Ashbourne box fit on facebook. Ran by a father son team who train people like yourself in a boxing based sessions.
    What i liked about it is straight away they try to teach you the fundamentals of boxing correctly, stance, footwork etc.

Advertisement