Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probationary Period/Unsatisfactory Performance/Dismissal

Options
  • 16-05-2018 6:30am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think I know the answer to this but trying to help a former colleague.

She started a new job in Jan of this year. 6 months probation period. She has a very specific job title but from day one she has been 'doer' and working on much broader projects not covered by her job title.

She had a meeting yesterday/received a letter saying that her performance relative to her job title wasn't satisfactory. She has been invited to a disciplinary meeting on Friday were the outcome may be dismissal. Her boss has said it will be i.e. decision has been made.

I've told her that unfortunately thats probably that and start looking elsewhere. She has question the disciplinary procedure and believes they haven't followed due process but I still think her luck is out as she is there only about 5 months.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Move on, if it's not working out with the boss it's not worth fighting on any front. She is in probation so something hasn't clicked.

They are entitled to extend probation or end it in this case they've chosen the latter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

So hospital hires a neurosurgeon who is told his job is to operate on brown eyed ppl from mayo called Philomena only. Once in job he realises hospital expects him to also do all triple by passes, change light bulbs and peel potatoes in the kitchen. 5months later hospital tell him he is not doing a good job so fires him.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    So hospital hires a neurosurgeon who is told his job is to operate on brown eyed ppl from mayo called Philomena only. Once in job he realises hospital expects him to also do all triple by passes, change light bulbs and peel potatoes in the kitchen. 5months later hospital tell him he is not doing a good job so fires him.

I don't get the analogy...

Probationary periods are tests for company fit.

Sometimes it doesn't work out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

listermint wrote: »
    I don't get the analogy...

Probationary periods are tests for company fit.

Sometimes it doesn't work out

If the role performance is the reason for non statisfactory completion of probationary period. Clearly not working out but that’s not the reason given.

godtabh wrote: »
    If the role performance is the reason for non statisfactory completion of probationary period. Clearly not working out but that’s not the reason given.

tbh, i actually dont know what you or your friend is looking for here.

Its evident the Boss views that the work she is doing doesnt fit for what was envisioned or perhaps they simply dont get on.

Whatever the reason the role was probationary, there is a split. Your friend should just move on with the new experience and find another role.

There are jobs out there, there is no point dwelling on a probationary role in a company, learn from it and adjust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If its a done deal there is very little comeback for her. She can either look back or forward, and it's best if she focuses on a new start. If the managers are only coming to her 6 months in and out of the blue, with a view to letting her go, she is as well out of the place. even if they agree a PIP and extent the probation is it just as likely that it will be designed to fail so that she is out under the 1 year deadline?

IMO She needs to sart looking ASAP and think on how she will handle the exit plan. If the job have decided she's out, asking if them to say it was a short contract may be the best way forward. She can win the process argument but they will just redo and she is out anyway. She needed to check if the job description has been re advertised

Sometimes being a doer in a new company is not a good thing as you can trip up in the office politics. She needs to be hard on herself in so far as asking herself did she let some of the tasks for her role slide or not check that her manager was happy with what was been done. Listen to what is said in the meeting and take the fair comment on board and leave the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They are fools to mention the word “disciplinary””

They need just meet her, tell her it hasn’t worked out and dismiss her.

Talk of discipline is just muddying the water and shows a level of unease among the proper procedures.

Tell her to move on.
    It’s short enough that she may be able to fluff never working there on her CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

_Brian wrote: »
    Tell her to move on.
    It’s short enough that she may be able to fluff never working there on her CV.

Just one other thing to keep in mind/resolve is what the terms of ending are. From a reference point of view, the company will at least be contacted for verification of employment, so if there's any issues highlighted on Friday, either find a reference that can explain your side or somehow set expectations up front before a reference check is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

If she is definitely still within the probation period then she has no hope of any comeback on this, the employer can dismiss her without any required justification.

If this is really a performance related issue then I would find it somewhat odd that this is coming completely out of the blue though. If a new employee is not hitting the expectation of the role, then it would be quite normal to have a quiet word with them about the same well before the probation period has run it's course. Had she any inkling up until now that her performance was below par?

Concerning the reference, I would also tend to agree with glossing over this if at all possible and leaving this off the CV completely, though this of course could be a risk if it's a tightly knit industry. She could of course reach an agreement with the current employer where they put and angle on it that she is taking the decision herself to move on for whatever reason. Most employers would be willing to play ball here, assuming the issue is purely performance related.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just as an FYI she was fired this afternoon. Got a phone call from HR. Told pack her stuff and leave.

She gave me a copy of her review document that she was going to use tomorrow. She was above her targets (assuming her figures were right).

Clearly something else was at play. She has something lined up for next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Delighted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Just as an FYI she was fired this afternoon. Got a phone call from HR. Told pack her stuff and leave.

Make sure she knows that she is entitled to be paid her notice period per her contract or 1 weeks pay which ever is greater plus any untaken hoilday days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

JClearly something else was at play

This is very often the case when employees are let go after the probation period, rather than an issue with actual performance. It's often rooted in a perception that the employee is going against the grain of the general company culture, or is perceived as being difficult or awkward.

Advertisement