Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sycamore saplings

Options
  • 16-05-2018 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭

I know you are not supposed to bother saplings trees during the growing season but what’s the chances of sycamore saplings survival if I move them now and plant them in pots with compost.ill try and bring the roots in a clay ball.they are in leaf and maybe half the length of your arm.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Sycamore are very vigorous plants so if any saplings would survive the move they would likely be the ones to do so. It would ideally be better to wait until they are dormant over winter but as long as you avoid damaging the roots and them drying out I think you could be successful. You could make the move when we have damp cloudy weather forecast and trimming some of the larger leaves off could take some of the pressure off the disrupted root system. Avoid planting them near where horses are grazing as the seed when consumed by horses causes a lethal nerve disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

macraignil wrote: »
    Sycamore are very vigorous plants so if any saplings would survive the move they would likely be the ones to do so. It would ideally be better to wait until they are dormant over winter but as long as you avoid damaging the roots and them drying out I think you could be successful. You could make the move when we have damp cloudy weather forecast and trimming some of the larger leaves off could take some of the pressure off the disrupted root system. Avoid planting them near where horses are grazing as the seed when consumed by horses causes a lethal nerve disease.

Thanks v much macraignil

I'm sick of pulling them out.

I made the mistake of putting my bark mulch pile under a sycamore. I spread the seed unwittingly around the flower beds and fruit cages. Seedings are popping up everywhere!!

You're welcome to come pot them up if you like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sycamores are a weed and will seed everywhere. I would strongly advise not putting them in a normal garden.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

looksee wrote: »
    Sycamores are a weed and will seed everywhere. I would strongly advise not putting them in a normal garden.

+1, seeds also get blown into corners of walls and buildings and the saplings can cause damage if not dealt with promptly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Agreed.

But if you happen to be re-foresting your demesne then transplanting them is fine as long as you keep them well watered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Thanks for all the help and advice. I potted a few of them and I’ll see how they go.ill keep them well wet and replant them somewhere suitable in time. had them dig out and potted in 5 minutes so shouldn’t be too severe for them.it was that or kill them so I gave them the chance.i do like the look of a big sycamore and besides when I’m dead and buried some lad will knock a few weeks fire out of them.either that or they will break their heart and be cursing me.ha ha

Advertisement