Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens recommendations

Options
  • 16-05-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Currently shoot with a 50mm prime on my Nikon D3200.
    Love the shots but thinking of getting a lens with a bit of Zoom.
    I assume an 85mm would be a good lens to try next ?
    I mainly shoot portraits or random landscape shots
    Should I look for a Prime lens or a 16-85mm to test the waters ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just bought Sigma 17-50 2.8 and very happy so far. Sharp and fast for a relatively small price.

Kind of what you need for landscape and portrait, but if you feel short at 50mm, then something like 17-70 would be probably more suited for you.

Budget is the main thing, paid 330 euro for Sigma delivered which is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The D3200 is a "crop" body, so the 50mm is roughly equivalent to using a 75mm (on FF)
    Generally 85mm is a fairly standard portrait lens on full frame. 135 is another often (but but as often as 85mm) portrait prime.
    If portraits are what you really like shooting, I'd probably stick with primes. You have to think more about your composition, they tend to be faster and sharper, and there's less distortion die to fewer lens elements etc..
    On a crop body, 85mm is nearly 130mm effective, so should complement the 50mm reasonably well.
    Getting a 30-35mm would give you something around what a nifty-fifty is like on full frame.

If you want to go zoom, because it's full frame, something 55-200mm might be a good range for portraits.
    If you can find it, Tamron makes a reasonable 18-200mm zoom. Very versatile, but not a fast/sharp lens.
    Good for walking around on Sunday days and carrying for holidays where you don't want full gear.

Advertisement