Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling ireland membership and insurance

Options
  • 16-05-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am relatively new to cycling and i am not (yet at least) a member of a club and have not done any sportives. However i do cycle to work daily in dublin and ive started to do some weekend leisure cycling, spins to howth basically.

Id like to do more so i am thinking of joining cycling ireland as a non club, leisure member.

Can i ask, does this insurance cover me for weekend spins (i cycle on my own, not with a club etc).

Also, would it cover me at all for commuting into work midweek? I presume not but i would like to have some sort of insurance for my cycle to work, not concerned that ill cause an accident or damage to a car, just concerned i might be the victim or injured party or even just a bad road surface or design could cause a spill.

Regards,

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The insurance covers training and specified events. As a non club member that pretty much means only at an event or whenever training towards something.

I use my commute to train for racing, therefore my commute is covered, if you see what I mean (So long as I am wearing a helmet and obeying the RTA etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

CramCycle wrote: »
    The insurance covers training and specified events. As a non club member that pretty much means only at an event or whenever training towards something.

I use my commute to train for racing, therefore my commute is covered, if you see what I mean (So long as I am wearing a helmet and obeying the RTA etc.).

So, technically, you could join a club, never do any races, but get covered because you would still be considered 'training' on a commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Has anyone here on boards ever tested the insurance cover for non-club spins? I'm not convinced that there is any benefit. Knowing insurance companies they are likely to try and wriggle out of paying up in the case of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

CramCycle wrote: »

I'd be asking CI for that in writing. Admittedly I've not looked as a non club member, but as a club member only club spins counted, not commuting etc (might have changed, I only join as it's a pre-requisite of joining the club).

As an aside, there is nothing about wearing helmets or obeying RTA either, just third party liability.

If you have house insurance there is generally a personal liability insurance thrown in too that can cover you on a bike.

I've checked and I'm pretty sure you are not covered.

"when you are training, competing or officiating in an approved Cycling Ireland activity”

So an accident when training IN an approved CI activity, not FOR.

Practice laps etc.

saccades wrote: »
    I'd be asking CI for that in writing. Admittedly I've not looked as a non club member, but as a club member only club spins counted, not commuting etc (might have changed, I only join as it's a pre-requisite of joining the club).
    It was stated publicly at the AGM but ti be clear, I am not saying commuting is covered. Training is covered.
    As an aside, there is nothing about wearing helmets or obeying RTA either, just third party liability.
    My take on it would be that CI states you must wear a helmet while taking part in events including club spins, my presumption is this carries over to training. Obeying the road traffic act is part and parcel of being a vehicle on the road. If your not obeying it, there is their wiggle room. Not that this makes a difference as I am sure we both obey it anyway.
    If you have house insurance there is generally a personal liability insurance thrown in too that can cover you on a bike.
    Certainly used to be the case but would check the policy.
    I've checked and I'm pretty sure you are not covered.

"when you are training, competing or officiating in an approved Cycling Ireland activity”

So an accident when training IN an approved CI activity, not FOR.

Practice laps etc.
    My reading of that is as two separate parts, training and then competing or officiating.

Would certainly be worth emailing CI and getting a response in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

You have confirmed my suspicions about the cover. I seriously question what the point of CI unaffiliated leisure membership is. The main beneficiary seems to be Cycling Ireland not the member. This year I dropped it and pay the fiver for the 4 or 5 events I enter. Comes in substantially less than the CI membership. Continually increasing this fee year on year with no real benefits has put me right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This again.
    I emailed them last year about insurance and was told in writing that leisure trips are covered.
    I made clear I wasnt in a club.
    I've the email somewhere but am sure I posted it here on past threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Heres the email chain between me and Michael at CI

Under the personal accident cover they would be insured as the leisure cycle/commuting would be deemed training, O'Driscoll O'Neill our insurers confirm that.

Regards,
    Michael

Original Message
    Sent: 23 October 2017 10:40
    To: Contact Us <contactus@cyclingireland.ie>
    Subject: RE: Insurance/Accidents - General Query

Hi Michael
    Thanks for your email.
    Can you clarify the position of leisure members with regards to insurance please?
    Leisure members may not be taking part in sportifs or club training events by nature of their membership.Their usage of their bikes is probably limited to leisure cycles and commuting.
    Are leisure members insured and if so in what circumstances?
    Original Message
    To: @eircom.net
    Sent: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:20:08 +0100 (IST)
    Subject: RE: Insurance/Accidents - General Query

Hi

All Cycling Ireland members have personal accident and public liability insurance by virtue of their membership of Cycling Ireland. This insurance will cover you when you are out training or taking part in approved Cycling Ireland events or sportive.

A summary of insurance cover is outlined here: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/downloads/summaryofcover2017v2.pdf

Further information and documents can be accessed here: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance/insurance-documents3

Regards,

Michael Atkinson

Sports Administrator,
    Cycling Ireland
    Kelly Roche House,
    619 North Circular Road,
    Dublin 1, D01 FT67, Ireland

T: +353-1-8551522 : Mon -Fri 10am - 1pm and 2pm - 4pm
    W: www.cyclingireland.ie<http://www.cyclingireland.ie/>

[cid:image004.png@01D34BE8.801DAA40]

[Image result for download on the app store badge] <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cycling-ireland/id1238206277?ls=1&mt=8> [Image result for download on the app store badge] <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mysmartfitappslogin.app57a0f9f1915ed>

Sent: 22 October 2017 21:48
    To: Contact Us <contactus@cyclingireland.ie>
    Subject: Insurance/Accidents - General Q submitted the following enquiry from the Cycling Ireland Website

Customer Details
    Name: @eircom.net>
    Club:
    Enquiry
    Hi
    Can you please clarify if as a leisure member I am covered by the CI insurance and under what circumstances that cover is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

That's great, many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The use of the word 'training' is irritating, Why can't they just say 'cycling'? I've never done any 'training'.

• Advertisement

Undoubtedly to give an out in extreme cases eg I pop out to the local, have a skinful and mess myself up on Tue way home. I imagine its an easy argument you don't drink and train. Whereas commuting is not (possibly) a huge amount different in risk compared to a club spin.

Just a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Had an accident while out "training solo" about 3 years ago. No cover for bike damage but covered for treatment ( physio , doctors bills and some test) less a moderate ecess.
    Also offered to claim for loss of earnings upto max of 2000 or 2500e from what I remember buy I didn't pursue that.
    From what i remember the process had no major obstacles and payout handled professionally.
    Although 3.5years on things could have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Here is what their website says
    Membership of Cycling Ireland provides the following Insurance cover.

1: Public Liability (“Third Party”)

Covers you for any third party liability or property damage for which you are held legally liable. (a third party is a person not accredited with membership of Cycling Ireland) when you are training, competing or officiating in an approved Cycling Ireland activity. (a €500 excess applies to each claim, to be paid by claimant). There is no cover in respect of any Injury or Damage suffered by one participant caused by another participant during training activities.

There is an indemnity limit of €13.0 million per incident.

2: Personal Accident

This cover again applies to when you are training, competing or officiating in an approved activities of Cycling Ireland. Medical expenses are covered to a maximum of €2,500 each claim which includes dental expenses up to €2,000. Excess of €100 applies to medical and dental claims. There is also an inner limit of €250 for physiotherapy expenses. Loss of earnings is covered for a maximum of €150 per week for a maximum of 52 weeks with the first week not being covered.
    http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/membership/insurance

The above raises the question of what exactly you are covered for when out for a solo spin.
    Is training outside of an official event covered where you might hit someone at a pedestrian crossing.
    The wording above is not clear.

Advertisement