Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dock Leaves

Options
  • 16-05-2018 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Anyone any recommendations on how to kill dock leaves?

Part of the garden was very overgrown and rough, about 1/2 an acre, with a lot of dock leaves

I have it strimmed and cut short but I want to try and stop the dock leaves sprouting back up straight away.

I have gallup for around the edges of the lawn but dont want to resort to that yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

garv123 wrote: »
    Anyone any recommendations on how to kill dock leaves?

Part of the garden was very overgrown and rough, about 1/2 an acre, with a lot of dock leaves

I have it strimmed and cut short but I want to try and stop the dock leaves sprouting back up straight away.

I have gallup for around the edges of the lawn but dont want to resort to that yet.

Is there a lot? What I do with my flowerbeds is, when the ground is damp, I get the hose on full blast and point at the roots while I pull them up. I found that's the only way to get rid of them without spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is there a lot? What I do with my flowerbeds is, when the ground is damp, I get the hose on full blast and point at the roots while I pull them up. I found that's the only way to get rid of them without spray.

Yup I'd say about 1/4 - 1/3 of the lawn all spread around. I have them cut short now so cant really catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can kill them chemically or you can dig for victory and get the whole tap root out. Salt solution would work as a less harmful alternative

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/organic/using-salt-to-kill-weeds.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just keep it mown..they're not a lawn weed so will die out themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had allot on one section of lawn.

I got one of those litter pickers, added small piece of sponge to both faces.

Mixed small bit of gallup and dampened the sponges, nipped the sponge on the leaves as they grew.

2 or 3 rounds of maybe 30 minutes each and it was clear.

Killed very little grass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement