Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free ATMs in Spain ?

• 16-05-2018 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

Hi there
    Are there Any Spanish banks that don't put a charge on the amount you take out at an ATM in the Canary Islands ?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Not sure about Canary Islands but on mainland Spain none of the ATM's charge any commission when taking money out, I normally use on teh ATM on the banks, you might be charge some admin charge by your bank, better check with them before leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

nava wrote: »
    Not sure about Canary Islands but on mainland Spain none of the ATM's charge any commission when taking money out, I normally use on teh ATM on the banks, you might be charge some admin charge by your bank, better check with them before leaving.

Your completely wrong!

I go to mainland Spain several times a year I own property there and all the various Spanish ATMs charge high rates now for Irish card transactions.

I think each transaction now costs about €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,436 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is extremely rare that an Irish card even works in a customer surcharging ATM - they are illegal here and banks err on the side of caution. Have tried to use them out of convenience or desperation abroad before and none work.

A bank can't charge an Irish card any more than they charge a local card due to SEPA; and neither can your bank. Generally proper bank run ATMs across the world don't surcharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

L1011 wrote: »
    It is extremely rare that an Irish card even works in a customer surcharging ATM - they are illegal here and banks err on the side of caution. Have tried to use them out of convenience or desperation abroad before and none work.

A bank can't charge an Irish card any more than they charge a local card due to SEPA; and neither can your bank. Generally proper bank run ATMs across the world don't surcharge.

For the past year Spanish big banks ATMs warn you prior to transaction that you must agree to fee and it's usually between €2 & €3 per transaction.

Spanish banks charge extortionate rates for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I search out the Deutsche Bank ATMs when I'm in Spain as they don't charge, or at least they didn't when I was there in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Been to the Canaries plenty of times.

Was in Lanzarote last year and used various ATMs and was not charged anything for using an Irish card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

IrishHomer wrote: »
    For the past year Spanish big banks ATMs warn you prior to transaction that you must agree to fee and it's usually between €2 & €3 per transaction.

Spanish banks charge extortionate rates for everything.

I was in Spain for last summer and for Easter, used a few ATM's but I think mostly BBVA and Liberbank, I wasn't charge anything extra, I was using an AIB Visa debit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I used my PTSB visa debit card in a Santander ATM in Gran Canaria last month and wasn't charged anything extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Santander seem to be the only one now. I'm starting to wonder is it a PTSB issue. Charges started about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 villamar

I was in Spain in January and was charged when using atm machine, Santander I think. I had always used that atm machine and there had been no charge. Last month I tried BBVA and was again charged so I had presumed charges were now across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I've now found out ATMs at Bankia branches don't charge

Advertisement