If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4K+Atmos baby steps

Options
  • 16-05-2018 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

I've lasted nearly ten years without a TV upgrade - shame on me!
    Is it time?
    Pioneer PDP-LX5090 -> what tv? 65" and maybe OLED? HDR? I like the LG panels/Mrs likes the look of the Bravia.
    Denon AVR2312 -> Another Denon with Atmos+4K support
    LG-BD390 -> UHD Blu-Ray player - what one?

or do I hang onto the TV and get a 4K projector?
    I would need an inventive solution for projector location - 4.5m ceilings!!
    The ultra-short throw ones seem a tad expensive right now.

thanks
    -Coley.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

coley wrote: »
    I've lasted nearly ten years without a TV upgrade - shame on me!
    Is it time?
    Pioneer PDP-LX5090 -> what tv? 65" and maybe OLED? HDR? I like the LG panels/Mrs likes the look of the Bravia.
    Denon AVR2312 -> Another Denon with Atmos+4K support
    LG-BD390 -> UHD Blu-Ray player - what one?

or do I hang onto the TV and get a 4K projector?
    I would need an inventive solution for projector location - 4.5m ceilings!!
    The ultra-short throw ones seem a tad expensive right now.

thanks
    -Coley.
    Hi Coley.

Thanks for the post.

I've recently just changed my pioneer Plasma for an OLED and it took me almost 10 years to fine a screen that compared to them.

The 65B7 OLED at the moment has a great deal on it priced at £2499 with a further 5% off with our world cup promo code WC5. Dropping it to £2374.05 and includes our 6 year guarantee free of charge.
    I could squeeze a further few quid off this down to £2350.00 Delivered.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202528-oled65b7v.aspx

If you wanted to go all out there is the Sony 65A1 priced at £3599.00. Again it has our WC5 code which drops it too £3419.05. I could squeeze this even further to £3299.00 delivered and including our 6 year guarantee.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-203305-402241.aspx

On the AV receiver front the Denon AVRX2400 would tick all your boxes and currently priced at £329.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-13044-avrx2400.aspx

Or higher up the Denon tree the AVRX3400 priced at £549.00 (Stock Limited).
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-13062-avrx3400.aspx

For the UHD player I would look at the likes of the Sony UBPX700 priced at £199
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-203104-401074.aspx

If you want to stick with LG they have their NEW UBK80 priced at £179.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-203305-402241.aspx

Regarding going for a projector instead of a TV. other than an extended pole bracket which would hang directly down form your ceiling (which may look silly) there are no other real options other than short throw and as you say they can be expensive. A non 4K one would start at £2599.00 at the moment.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

I've just spotted a flaw in my plan!
    I currently have a 7.1 setup, so adding atmos makes it 7.1.2, if I'm getting my numbering correct.
    To stay with the Denon family the first receiver with that many outputs is the AVRX4400.
    Do you have other 9 channel capable AV receivers maybe cheaper than the AVRX4400?

-Coley.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Coley,

how about the Yamaha RXA870 Avantage? :

Currently just £749 / €899 ( Euro pricing includes delivery) - however if you are going for a TV / AVR package just give us the options you are interested in and we will try to do you some bundle pricing..
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202820-black-319406.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted..

TVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Coley,

how about the Yamaha RXA870 Avantage? :

Currently just £749 / €899 ( Euro pricing includes delivery) - however if you are going for a TV / AVR package just give us the options you are interested in and we will try to do you some bundle pricing..
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202820-black-319406.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted..

TVB,

John Mc & Crew
    doesn't that only have 7 full channels? and lower output 100W vs 200W per channel?
    thanks.

Coley the RXA870 is not the same spec as the AVRX4400 the RXA870 has 2 * Fronts, Centre, 2 * Surround, 2 * surround back, 2 * Front Presence , and 2 Sub outs.

There is literally only a handful of AVRX4400 left at the moment :o 

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

It looks like I'm better off checking behind the couch for the extra cash to stretch to the Denon :D

It looks like I'm better off checking behind the couch for the extra cash to stretch to the Denon :D
    Hey Coley.

It's looking like we could be down to the last 15 of the AVRX4400. That's company wide unfortunately :(

I would say that these will go pretty sharpish.

I queried in a previous thread about add on atmos speakers, precursor to this query :)
    Are they lost in a room with high ceilings? (espec. if the ceilings are vaulted)

Thanks,
    -Coley.

I queried in a previous thread about add on atmos speakers, precursor to this query :)
    Are they lost in a room with high ceilings? (espec. if the ceilings are vaulted)

Thanks,
    -Coley.
    Hi Coley.

I would fear that you would lose most of the effects from Atmos due to the high ceilings but to be honest I'm not sure how the upward firing ones would perform in a room with high ceilings.

When you say high ceilings, how high do you mean?

double height room - 4.5m:eek:
    But... I do have in ceiling speakers :)...but they are not wired to the wallplate for the amp:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

double height room - 4.5m:eek:
    But... I do have in ceiling speakers :)...but they are not wired to the wallplate for the amp:rolleyes:
    Hmmmm.....

I'd have to do a bit of investigation to see how it would work out with the high ceiling.

I'm nearly sure that the in-ceilings would work for Atmos due to the vaulted ceiling.

However it might be possible to use a pair of book shelf speakers and wall mount them angled into the room.

I disagree TBH - I think that a decent pair of in-ceilings, if well driven will still work really well and actually enhance the 'height-effect'

Keep us posted.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I have 4 x MA C165 or C180 (I can't remember as I got some of both) in that ceiling, wired back to the attic.

I have 4 x MA C165 or C180 (I can't remember as I got some of both) in that ceiling, wired back to the attic.
    Hey Coley.

They are decent in ceiling speakers and the C165 would be one of our best sellers.

Hey Coley.

They are decent in ceiling speakers and the C165 would be one of our best sellers.
    Any clever wirefree/hidden ways to get the atmos signals to them from the amp?

Hey Coley.

Ho coley,

Unfortunately not, as these are a passive speaker they would need to be wired into the amplifier. The only way to hit it would be to track it through the walls.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Hey Coley.

Ho coley,

Unfortunately not, as these are a passive speaker they would need to be wired into the amplifier. The only way to hit it would be to track it through the walls.

Kind regards

David
    Could I not use the pre-outs from the amp into a wireless line-level tx/rx combo and use another amp to drive the ceiling spkrs?
    HEOS amps look like they can do all of this but seem overkill/rxpensive for effects channels.

Hey Coley.

Ho coley,

Kind regards

David
    Could I not use the pre-outs from the amp into a wireless line-level tx/rx combo and use another amp to drive the ceiling spkrs?
    HEOS amps look like they can do all of this but seem overkill/rxpensive for effects channels.
    Hi Coley.

To be honest I'm not sure on the wireless line-level tx/rx combo as it is not something we would stock or have used.
    The heights have a pre out which you could use.

As I have never tried something like this I couldn't 100% confirm it will work. You may come up against a possible delay or latency issue this way.

The Heos amp is an excellent bit of kit but you do pay for it.

If I want to wall mount the TV is the LG mount the best to go for? or one of the others?
    ideally I'd want the TV as flat to the wall as possible - no real need for moving apart from cable access.
    It would be mounted on a solid block wall
    -Coley.

If I want to wall mount the TV is the LG mount the best to go for? or one of the others?
    ideally I'd want the TV as flat to the wall as possible - no real need for moving apart from cable access.
    -Coley.
    Hi Coley,

The LG mounts are good but unfortunately we are completely out of stock of them company wide. The best alternative would be a Sanus VLL5 flat bracket. We use these in store for display TVs and they sit very flat to the wall. They are £59.95.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

-Coley.
    Hi Coley,

The LG mounts are good but unfortunately we are completely out of stock of them company wide. The best alternative would be a Sanus VLL5 flat bracket. We use these in store for display TVs and they sit very flat to the wall. They are £59.95.

Kind regards

David
    Are the LG mounts a better mount?

How much damage will this lot do?
    • LG65B7
    • AVRX4400
    • UBPX700
    • LGOTW420
    [*]

EUR/GBP pricing?
    Thanks,
    -Coley.

How much damage will this lot do?
    • LG65B7
    • AVRX4400
    • UBPX700
    • LGOTW420

[*]

EUR/GBP pricing?
    Thanks,
    -Coley.
    [*]
    Hi Coley,

The LG mounts aren't necessarily better. We use the Sanus brackets in store for our display TVs and they are very sturdy and as well as being very close to the wall.

Unfortunately we are completely out of the OTW420s as they are discontinued.

I could do an LG OLED65B7, AVRX4400, UBPX700 and Sanus VLL5 slim bracket for: £3367 sterling or 4095.99 euro.

Kind regards

David

Are those prices inclusive of delivery?

Are those prices inclusive of delivery?
    Hi Coley.

Yes I can offer free shipping on the above items.

The 65B7 also includes our 6 year guarantee.

Thanks - any chance of a further squeeze on the pricing, pretty please...?

Thanks - any chance of a further squeeze on the pricing, pretty please...?
    HI Coley.

I've checked over the pricing and can now offer at £3271 delivered.

What are upscaled images like on the LG?
    And when different devices in the chain can upscale - is there a best place to do it?

Thanks
    -Coley.

What are upscaled images like on the LG?
    And when different devices in the chain can upscale - is there a best place to do it?

Thanks
    -Coley.
    Hi coley,

I have a B7 on display and they do look good through upscaling. Standard definition will never look brilliant as you are limited by the broadcast definition but in terms of contrast and colour it is a much better image than an LED TV.

You are actually best allowing the AV receiver to do the upscaling. We do this in our demo room and it is a much smoother image than allowing the TV to do it.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Guys what can I say - great service - great kit!
    Thanks for everything.

The picture on the OLED is a thing of beauty - huge contrast and pinpoint brightness.

I have one minor niggle - no audio over ARC from smart apps, I'm looking at you Netflix, on LGTV.
    I googled this and it seems it is widespread. Have you any contacts in LG you could see if there are any pending firmware upgrades to address these issues?

thanks
    -Coley.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.