Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you use a joinerys machines?

• 16-05-2018 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

If a joinery were to open its doors to people with an interest in wood craft to use their machinery & equipment, would you use it?
    I mean there are loads of people who have either learned carpentry/carving etc but do not have the money/space to build their own workshop so if a joinery were to charge an hourly rate would there be much interest?
    I'm asking because I saw in done in the UK with a mechanics garage & thought it might be of interest in Ireland
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Massive and I mean massive Insurance implications.
    Allowing Joe Public to use professional equipment particularly with regards training and supervision requirements is not something that can be covered with a waiver.
    It's an interesting idea, the H&S requirements and the insurance risk make it a non runner tho IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

banie01 wrote: »
    Massive and I mean massive Insurance implications.
    Allowing Joe Public to use professional equipment particularly with regards training and supervision requirements is not something that can be covered with a waiver.
    It's an interesting idea, the H&S requirements and the insurance risk make it a non runner tho IMHO.

What if those that wanted to use the machinery had to fill out a form stating that they are a member. Kinda like a training centre as well where there would be classes of wood turning/carving.
    Maybe get local guilds in where they could do workshops, meeting etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a professional wood shop probably only has insurance to allowed qualified employees to operate equipment, and would not be able to allow 'club members' to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Help!!!! wrote: »
    What if those that wanted to use the machinery had to fill out a form stating that they are a member. Kinda like a training centre as well where there would be classes of wood turning/carving.
    Maybe get local guilds in where they could do workshops, meeting etc

In my original reply I did say "waivers" would not cover this instance.
    Membership or co-operative ownership does not negate the need for appropriate training andbsupervision, adequate insurance or risk assessments.

There is no magic formula to waive liability in such a circumstance.
    If there was, noone could sue Gym's, sporting clubs or any other facility that provides equipment for members use.
    It would be panacea for the litigation culture.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If the machine shop was seperate from the workshop, and only a fully qualified machinist was allowed in
    to use the machinery, you might get insurance for the machinist at a colossal rate.

But introduce the prospect of non trained personnel in the vicinity, then as you have already been advised
    by other posters, nadaah,nadaah,nadaah....taint gonna happen.

Insurance in the woodworking industry is a very expensive commodity. Its no wonder the bar room chippy
    down the pub, is busy keeping cheap joe public happy with his rates. Until of course the ****e hits the fan,
    then thats a whole other thread.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for your comments
    Theres a joinery closed down in my town, with the machinery still in place & I thought it was a shame considering it could be used for teaching others or helping others
    I'm doing a wood carving course & although I want to carry it on afterwards some of the other pupils see nothing coming from it

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Ok thanks for your comments
    Theres a joinery closed down in my town, with the machinery still in place & I thought it was a shame considering it could be used for teaching others or helping others
    I'm doing a wood carving course & although I want to carry it on afterwards some of the other pupils see nothing coming from it

Pity that the workspace is going to waste.

On reflection it makes you wonder how all the Mens Sheds country wide
    cover the insurance element given that most of them are woodwork orientated
    using large amounts of power tools, with inexperienced labour.

Might be worth a chat with your local mens sheds;)

It might give you some guidance.

kadman wrote: »
    Pity that the workspace is going to waste.

On reflection it makes you wonder how all the Mens Sheds country wide
    cover the insurance element given that most of them are woodwork orientated
    using large amounts of power tools, with inexperienced labour.

Might be worth a chat with your local mens sheds;)

It might give you some guidance.

Yeah there must be some way of doing it.
    Its quite a sizeable joinery. A couple of large warehouses. I with machinery, the other I guess where they kept timber plus a couple of prefabs.
    Will deffo look further into it because its such a waste, might be able to get it at a decent price to rent

I had a quick look and i think a mens shed approach may well be the
    avenue to persue,

https://www.changex.org/ie/menssheds/guide#step4

Insurance

Once you've found a premises, the next issue you'll need to consider is insurance. This might seem like a daunting and complex issue but don't worry the Irish Men's Sheds Association have worked hard to make this as simple and straightforward as possible for its members.

A special arrangement exists with BHP Insurances who have a dedicated team to deal with Men's Sheds. The premium for insuring your Men’s Shed depends on the number of your members and the Public Liability Limit of Indemnity required. You can see a full list of premiums below:

Mark Lee in BHP Insurances handles all Men's Shed queries and you can contact him directly on 1890 666 111 / 086 389 7749.

Sheds pay for insurance in different ways, many fundraise locally and the Irish Men's Sheds Association can give you some guidance on available grants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

If you're seriously pursuing this, you could maybe chat to these guys, who are doing something not entirely dissimilar in Cork:

https://benchspacecork.ie/about/

As an occasional user, you can pay €25 for a morning's access to the workshop, with pros around to keep an eye. If you're not a qualified trades-person, you have to have done their relevant course and/or assessment to use certain machines.
    https://benchspacecork.ie/product/make-it-yourself-saturday-26-may-2018/

• Advertisement

If you're seriously pursuing this, you could maybe chat to these guys, who are doing something not entirely dissimilar in Cork:

https://benchspacecork.ie/about/

As an occasional user, you can pay €25 for a morning's access to the workshop, with pros around to keep an eye. If you're not a qualified trades-person, you have to have done their relevant course and/or assessment to use certain machines.
    https://benchspacecork.ie/product/make-it-yourself-saturday-26-may-2018/

Thank you so much this very much my idea
    Machines would be over looked by qualified carpenters. Would use the outside sheds for hand tools, maybe for mens shed as well
    As someone who has depression since starting my carving course I have been feeling much better & am started to come off my meds after 4 years so I know it can help people as well
    Will deffo be in touch with these guys
    Again thanks for your help:D

kadman wrote: »
    I had a quick look and i think a mens shed approach may well be the
    avenue to persue,

https://www.changex.org/ie/menssheds/guide#step4

Yeah we have a mens shed in the town but its not run very well so could maybe incorporate them into one of the outside prefabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deede

Try Benchspace Cork mentioned above.

Its basically a workshop with access for full time makers and those interested in learning.

They run Evening classes, Saturday morning classes to make specific small projects for those with no previous experience and open access mornings a few times a month (where you get to work on your own project). Use of heavy duty machinery is tightly controlled but you'd be amazed what you can do with a little knowledge and some guidance.

They'll be launching our classes for next year in the next few weeks (Nov 14th)

Membership is 50 a year and generally the open access mornings run about 25 euro.

There's a contact link on the website if you have any questions

Advertisement