Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marseille vs Atletico Madrid, Europa League Final, k.o. 7.45, TV3 & BT Sport 2

• 16-05-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

40ab34bf613c9622c355e63fa9e5f9a0-800x445.jpg
    Marseille road to the final

Third qualifying round: 4-2 agg v Oostende (BEL)
    Play-off: 4-1 agg v Domžale (SVN)
    Group I runners-up
    Round of 32: 3-1 agg v Braga (POR)
    Round of 16: 5-2 agg v Athletic Club (ESP)
    Quarter-finals: 5-3 agg v Leipzig (GER)
    Semi-finals: 3-2 agg (aet) v Salzburg (AUT)

Atletico road to the final

Transferred from UCL group stage
    Round of 32: 5-1 agg v København (DEN)
    Round of 16: 8-1 agg v Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)
    Quarter-finals: 2-1 agg v Sporting CP (POR)
    Semi-finals: 2-1 agg v Arsenal (ENG)

Current odds on lifting the trophy (via Paddy Power)

Marseille 2/1
    Atletico 2/5
    Marseille XI: Mandanda; Sarr, Rami, Luiz Gustavo, Amavi; Sanson, Anguissa; Thauvin, Payet, Ocampos; Germain.

Atletico Madrid XI: Oblak; Vrsaljko, Gimenez, Godin, Lucas; Saul, Gabi, Thomas, Koke; Griezmann, Costa.

Tonight's game comes from the home of Marseille's rivals Lyon, and while there have been fears of clashes involving the Marseille fans and Lyon ultras, hopefully it's the football we're talking about tonight. Atletico coach Diego Simeone is suspended after he was sent to the stands against Arsenal so his assistant German Burgos will be on the sidelines.

With Marseille a point outside the Champions League places going into the final day this weekend, a win tonight would see them into next season's competition; Atletico have no such worries having comfortably secured their spot already, so for them tonight is all about the glory.

If Marseille are to win they will surely need big performances from their main attacking threats Dimitri Payet and Florian Thauvin, both of whom have played themselves into contention for Deschamps' World Cup squad announced in a few days. They will also need a strong showing from Brazilian Luiz Gustavo who has been one of the best players in France this season.

Atletico Madrid will be relying on star man Antoine Griezmann who has had another exceptional season and who will no doubt get a kick out of being back in his home country, while Diego Costa should cause plenty of problems. Even if Marseille can create chances against Atletico's very mean defence they will then have the equally tough task of beating one of the best keepers around in Jan Oblak.

What way do you see tonight's contest going? I'd like to see Marseille get the win but I think Atletico will prove a step too far. I don't feel Atletico will give many chances away and I think Marseille are lacking a top class striker. With Gustavo looking likely to play in a defensive role, I see the Spanish side dominating possession and feel they will get the goals they need and squeeze the life out of the game. I'll predict a win by two goals for Atletico.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

2-0 Atleti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Payet to win it for Marseille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Was the Eurovision not last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Did TV3 just sneak out they have exclusive Champions League rights for the next 3 seasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Was the Eurovision not last weekend?
    Would love Marseille to win this. It does look pretty unlikely though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ERG89 wrote: »
    Did TV3 just sneak out they have exclusive Champions League rights for the next 3 seasons?

They did, see the broadcasting forum for discussion.

TV3 sounds as bad as it looks on soarview.

Btw the lack of anticipation for this final is pretty scandalous.

greendom wrote: »
    Would love Marseille to win this. It does look pretty unlikely though.

It's no wonder Marseilles fans are such utter headcases, Basil Boli is your hero one year, the next it's Tony Cascarino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Germain being Germain. Great chance wasted.

Awful mistake, worse cause Atletico have been poor

Game over.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, Marseille. Been the better team for the opening twenty but they gift Atletico a goal. Thought Zambo Anguissa had been playing well before that mistake. Had to be Griezmann didn't it? Big kick in the teeth this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Has the commentator on TV never watched Atletico play football ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Was just saying Anguissa looked dodgy because he was having problems controlling the ball properly a couple of times and he does that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Marseille must be sick. By far the better team, an awful first touch by the defender and they find themselves behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Relieved to see a less annoying Griezmann celebration :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Madrid who've done jack go and somehow take the lead.

Football eh

Looks like Payet is coming off. There were questions about his fitness coming into the game. From bad to worse for Marseille.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Has the commentator on TV never watched Atletico play football ever?

I have David Pleat, if he keeps going on about Raddy Antic much longer we'll see him running across the pitch arms akimbo shortly.

Couldn't be going worse for Marseille right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well that went pear shaped for Marseille quickly. After a good start too. Payet off injured now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Payet in tears. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :(

Marseille look like they're reeling from the goal and losing Payet. They've lost all the spark they had earlier. Need to make sure they don't concede before half-time and try to regroup.

Half-Time: Atletico lead at the break. Top class ruthlessness from Atletico. Chance came along and they took it. Atletico defended well for the most part with the Germain missed chance the one Marseille will regret the most. Seems like a huge ask for Marseille to come back in this with a misfiring striker, and their main creative player now off. Options on the bench aren't great. I'd take off Germain and bring on either Njie or Mitroglou. Also could take Gustavo from defence and push him further up in midfield which I think they did against Salzburg. Honestly though I'd be more likely to believe Atletico will find another. A second goal should kill the contest.

Also:

https://twitter.com/AidanMUFC_/status/996836834813665281

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Payet a possible WC doubt? AM have this sewn up already,they just don't concede many goals,unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Marseille seem well out their depth. Atletico are much better organized and have the experience to see this game out.

Hopefully there will be a twist and give the neutral something to be excited about but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Payet a possible WC doubt? AM have this sewn up already,they just don't concede many goals,unfortunately

He doesn't get in the French 23 even fit surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

You just can't miss a chance like Germain did early on, awful finish. I suspect Atletico will grind it out from here.

titan18 wrote:

Is he not in the running?, thought he'd nearly be guaranteed,although he's had a hit + miss season

titan18 wrote: »

He's been great this year.

That's that.

• Advertisement

2-0 Atletico. Surely all over now. Griezmann again.

Close from Mitroglou. They needed that to go in.

sugarman wrote:
    Why wouldn't he, played in all but 2 of their qualifiers?

Is he not in the running?, thought he'd nearly be guaranteed,although he's had a hit + miss season

He's been great this year.

Their depth though. Like what 12/13 positions for midfield and forwards and you've got what should be Griezmann, Giroud, Mbappe, Pogba, Kante, Tolisso, Rabiot, Matuidi, and I'd then have Dembele, Lemar, Thauvin, Ben Yedder and Fekir ahead of him. He's definitely a bubble player imo considering the French team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brilliant performance from Atletico, As one-sided a final as I can remember in recent times

3-0. Gabi. Nice finish.

Very professional performance from Atleti and never in doubt once they scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Marseille with a total collapse when that first goal went in.

They were dire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Delighted to see Gabi score. 2 Europa League trophies, a La Liga title and two Champions League finals appearances yet he has never been capped internationally. He has decent competition for a place I suppose!

Full-Time: Deserved triumph for Atletico. They were a class above. Marseille started the game brightly but giving the goal away and losing Payet seemed to knock the stuffing out of them.

I see Marseille fans slating the effort of their players on social media but I think mainly they just aren't on Atletico's level. Also they've paid the price for not investing in their attack this season. A quality striker up top could have made this a closer contest. Now they have to beat Amiens at the weekend and hope Lyon fail to beat Nice if they are to get Champions League football.

Another feather in the cap for Diego Simeone. You have to admire a team that even when it's just 2-0 makes that scoreline seem impossible to claw back. You can see why so many teams want him as coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

La liga continues to be head and shoulders the best league in Europe. Utterly dominant performamce from Atleti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Did Souness say that Griezman and Costa are the only stars in the team for Atleti!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rekop dog wrote:
    La liga continues to be head and shoulders the best league in Europe.

Three teams though. Sevilla had a couple of good years but for the most part it's been three teams keeping them at the top.
    It's not like there is a large depth of strength in that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Did Souness say that Griezman and Costa are the only stars in the team for Atleti!?

He did. Would you expect anything else?

Good to see the 12 refs and assistants get a nice medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Fair play to Atlético giving the guard of honour to Marseille.
    Delighted to see Gabi getting a bit of the glory.

Simeone is up there with Jose for getting that one off result,I'd say he'd kill u for another shot at the CL,they probably deserve one over the last 5/7 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

eagle eye wrote: »
    Three teams though. Sevilla had a couple of good years but for the most part it's been three teams keeping them at the top.
    It's not like there is a large depth of strength in that league.

So, 4 then.

Spanish teams have won 8 of the last 9 CL and EL trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The poor child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Simeone is up there with Jose for getting that one off result,I'd say he'd kill u for another shot at the CL,they probably deserve one over the last 5/7 years

Deserve a CL. I think 2014 was their peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Full-Time:.

Another feather in the cap for Diego Simeone.

Is that you Neil Lennon?

https://twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/996862368398364672?s=19

Hard to believe it's the first thing he won with Atletico given their performances in recent years. In his second last game for them.

sugarman wrote:
    All well and good you naming off a list of players you'd pick ahead of him, and I'd probably agree with most of them too but the fact that he's consistently in Deschamps 23 man squads, featuring heavily in qualifying and was one of their better players in their last euros all indicate he'll be at the world cup if fit.

Not sure if he was injured but hasnt started for them since last June and was completely left out in March from the squad. He might have started in Euros and earlier in qualifying but others have gone past him now

• Advertisement
Advertisement