Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to expect a response from an EA after making an offer on a house ?

Options
  • 16-05-2018 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I made an offer on a property on the 30th April (ie over 2 weeks ago). It was a cash offer of 95% of the asking. I've heard nothing from the EA since, is this normal ?
    There have been two open viewings since I made my offer and even if weren't going to accept my offer I would have expected some sort of acknowledgement by now. When I made the offer they said they would log it on their system and I viewed it again the following weekend and the person showing it confirmed they had an offer on it so its not the case that my offer somehow got forgotten or mislaid. I can infer from the lack of contact that at least they have not had any higher offers. Still its a bit odd, is it normal for an EA to completely ignore an offer if the vendor rejects it ?

Thanks,

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Call them and ask, who knows what's happened. But given the amount of viewings I would imagine there is a number of offers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭SteM

If there have been 2 open viewings since your 95% offer then I'd imagine either the ea feels they can achieve asking price or the seller thinks they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'd be surprised if there were other offers and ea didn't contact you, give them ring and see what they say. I'd say is a case of them hoping to get more for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

They are not "not accepting" your offer. They are waiting to see if other bidders materialise. They will regard your opening bid as a baseline.Anyone else interested now will see yours as a bid to beat.

If they contact you in the absence of other bidders, you are unlikely to unilaterally increase your bid - so no advantage to them. On the other hand you might decide to withdraw your bid or indicate they you have moved on - so they lose their baseline offer.

I expect you will hear from them if another higher bid comes in - or if after the other viewings have died down and there are no other offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MikeHar

So, it has now been three weeks and three open viewings since I made my offer and still not a peep from the EA. to be honest I find this bizarre. I would have thought basic professionalism not to mention common courtesy would dictate they give at least an acknowledgement of my offer.
    I understand that they would be holding out in the hope of getting the full asking but I fail to see how this prevents them from telling me so.
    I made a lowball offer (asking -100k) on another house the week before offering on this one, it had been sitting with no offers since Feb so I figured there was no harm in trying my luck. They had one viewing after my offer and then called me the following week to say that my offer was below the vendor's expectations and that they'd let me know if there were any other offers or I could contact them if I wanted to increase my own offer.
    So I fail to see what is to be gained by just ignoring me, other than creating the impression that they are cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I would ring the EA and ask for an update

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

99.99999 of EA's are completely incompetent imho.

Call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

limnam wrote: »
    99.99999 of EA's are completely incompetent imho.

Call them.

Excuse your cheek....... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Your problem op is your expectations of EA's . You expect basic professionalism, your bar is set too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Just ring them - I thought everyone did this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Your problem op is your expectations of EA's . You expect basic professionalism, your bar is set too high.

Im right here like... sheeeeshhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The only answer is to ring them I'm not sure why you don't want to. There is every chance there was a mistake and your offer didn't get logged.
    You say they confirmed at another viewing there was an offer, who is to say that was yours, or that it was true at all, there is good chance even with no offers they might say there is to make it seem like there is more interest.
    I will agree with you it is unusual behavior but mistakes also happen, maybe you have been outbid but the number they had for you was wrong, lots of possibilities but no one here can tell you for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I was in the same boat a few years back, I made a bid, heard nothing. Rang about 2 weeks later, was told I had been the top bid for a few days but someone outbid me! dont think I would have heard anything if I didnt ring

Advertisement