Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KLM delay, lost bag & public transport had finished when i arrived

Options
  • 17-05-2018 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I had a flight with KLM to Basel in Switzerland, the flight was delayed for a couple of hours when I arrived in Basel my bag (snowboard) never did. I went to the KLM/Air France office and waited inline and got a toothbrush and filled in a form. It was now past 12 o’clock at night on a Friday and the public bus from airport to the city had finished. And also I had missed the last onward train. The Air France / Klm staff at Basel told me to get a taxi and stay in a hotel in Basel. And email the receipts to KLM who will reimburse me for the costs. They were very nice and even rang the taxi for me.

So I went to Basel and stayed in a hotel and got my train onwards the next day, my bag (snowboard) arrived Sunday evening just in time for me leaving Monday. The staff at the airport did tell me just to hire a snowboard for the weekend but I did not as my snowboarding clothes, helmet, glove etc where in the bag as well.

A few days later I emailed Klm and attached a copy of the receipts and asked them to reimburse me. A couple of weeks later they replied saying “Please note that the airline is not liable for consequential losses or for any inconvenienced caused such as transportation or accommodation” . I replied explaining in more detail the situation and that their staff told me I would be reimbursed and today I got a reply saying the same thing, no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Do you have travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seclanmorgan

No Travel Insurance

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No Travel Insurance

Then you're out of options, not upto klm to substitute your choice to not get insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Cabaal wrote: »
    Then you're out of options, not upto klm to substitute your choice to not get insurance

Thats not true, the Montreal convention covers lost and delayed baggage, even if the OP had travel insuranceh it would simply be an easier route for recovery, it wouldn't alter the responsibilities of the carrier. KLM can claim they aren't liable for consequential loss all they like, a court would not necessarily agree.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Time wrote: »
    Thats not true, the Montreal convention covers lost and delayed baggage, even if the OP had travel insuranceh it would simply be an easier route for recovery, it wouldn't alter the responsibilities of the carrier. KLM can claim they aren't liable for consequential loss all they like, a court would not necessarily agree.

Grand so, the op can go legal and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I agree it's a perfect case for the small claims, it's designed for cases just like this.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

So are you acknowledging you were wrong. Not a very helpful / welcoming attitude you have

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So are you acknowledging you were wrong. Not a very helpful / welcoming attitude you have

I think the response was tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i cant see how klm would be liable for those costs....even travel insurance wouldn't cover accommodation costs as a result of baggage delays, I wouldn't think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

My luggage was delayed by KLM when I was traveling home but I still went out and bought about £200 of clothes. They reimbursed in full and delivered my lost filthy rucksack to my house by a chauffeured limousine about an hour after I got home by public transport.

OP you should have bought new Snowboarding gear, I think you would have got the money back with receipts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement