Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

rubadub wrote: »
    The very fact you are not sweating could be the part of the problem. It is my understanding that the bike to work scheme was partly to promote fitness (and free up roads which scooters would do). They put lots of money into fitness equipment in parks too.

I think it's more to do with descriptions for tax purposes, kind of like a monitor that can or can not receive a standard TV signal.
    That said the road he used as an example is very odd, it's a slight hill. If you can't make it up it then you are using the wrong mode of transport. It would be easy for anyone with no disability to cycle that hill on a normal bike (probably 3% average gradient)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tuxy wrote: »
    Is it a mandatory court appearance like it would be for anyone caught driving with no insurance?

I believe so yes.

Martynet wrote: »
    here you go. I'll try to find better quality later. Forgot my phone today.

mhc.ie is not a government body and they have misinterpreted what is on both the Garda and RSA site.
    You are then depending on individual members of the guards believing this mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

mhc.ie is not a government body and they have misinterpreted what is on both the Garda and RSA site.

I know, when we created this document, we were really desperate the guy who put this together just used anything he could :)
    I know it's not perfect but it's better than nothing and it already helped Robi.
    We are all working on a better solution. You guys should join the whatsapp chat and discord. Where we discuss any updates every few minutes.

I know, when we created this document, we were really desperate the guy who put this together just used anything he could :)
    I know it's not perfect but it's better than nothing and it already helped Robi.
    We are all working on a better solution. You guys should join the whatsapp chat and discord. Where we discuss any updates every few minutes.

Sounds like an act of civil disobedience which may be necessary in other to speed up new laws that are more clear.
    Just once everyone knows what they are doing is illegal. I don't think misinformation helps.

• Advertisement

Sounds like an act of civil disobedience which may be necessary in other to speed up new laws that are more clear.
    Just once everyone knows what they are doing is illegal. I don't think misinformation helps.

We are open to any new ideas. Please let us know here:
    http://next.eride.ie/

We are open to any new ideas. Please let us know here:
    http://next.eride.ie/

If the scooters continue to become more popular that's probably all it will take. It can only be ignored for so long.
    BTW I am in favour of anything that means less cars on the road but of course it needs some kind of regulation to at the very least clear up the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

If I was teleported to a random place in Ireland in front of a scooter or a bike right now, to be struck by either, I would choose to be hit by a bike. This includes ebikes and of course there are a lot of non road legal e-bikes which go well over 25kmh

Is that just a preference, or do you have any logical reasoning behind it? Assume same mass at same velocity (lets say 20km/h).

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 82,752 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Here's the big Discord group we created couple of weeks ago. Discord.eride.ie
    It's divided by sections and might replace the messy WhatsApp chat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Overheal wrote: »

unfortantly that link doesn't work but here is a clip from that epsiode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAtT0sJMBE

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

RHJ wrote: »
    unfortantly that link doesn't work but here is a clip from that epsiode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAtT0sJMBE
    LOLOLOLOLL!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eScoot

I think the guy in the video (Robi) believes it is not road legal himself and is a chancer

HI. I recorded that video and I wouldn't call myself chancer because on RSA FAQ says "Regardless of the type of bike, the rule is as
    follows: If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone" where word "alone" is even bold. So to me it says that scooter that can start from zero with just accelerator its MPV and if needs any kind of assistance its not MPV. Even Gards say there are scooters that don't need any assistance and those ones are MPV. Also if majority of Gards don't see them as MPV and as problem and only few ones do who is then misunderstanding here? I would love to be stopped by Garda that would seize my scooter and go to court to see what would happen but exactly that word "alone" is type of word that brings cases down on courts. FAQ is there so that people can understand what to do and what not to do and if anyone is breaking law out there then its because of misleading by information available. Saying that my electric scooter and motorbikeare same is ridiculous.

Calling someone a chancer who is trying to make change is really not ok but no worries, I'm not insulted. If those scooters aren't on roads and if law is perfectly fine there wouldn't be discussion about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

eScoot wrote: »
    HI. I recorded that video and I wouldn't call myself chancer because on RSA FAQ says "Regardless of the type of bike, the rule is as
    follows: If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone" where word "alone" is even bold. So to me it says that scooter that can start from zero with just accelerator its MPV and if needs any kind of assistance its not MPV. Even Gards say there are scooters that don't need any assistance and those ones are MPV. Also if majority of Gards don't see them as MPV and as problem and only few ones do who is then misunderstanding here? I would love to be stopped by Garda that would seize my scooter and go to court to see what would happen but exactly that word "alone" is type of word that brings cases down on courts. FAQ is there so that people can understand what to do and what not to do and if anyone is breaking law out there then its because of misleading by information available. Saying that my electric scooter and motorbikeare same is ridiculous.

Calling someone a chance who is trying to make change is really not ok but no worries, I'm not insulted. If those scooters aren't on roads and if law is perfectly fine there wouldn't be discussion about it at all.

I have to physically turn a key to star my car. Are you saying that my car is not an MPV?
    An old school car with a wind up engine isn’t a MPV?

ted1 wrote: »
    I have to physically turn a key to star my car. Are you saying that my car is not an MPV?

If you took the battery out you would have to push start it. Maybe you could modify the ecu to limit you to 25 km/h too.

Do you really wanna compare your car and electric scooter?

I'd like to compare a very small electric car with a very large electric scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

follows: If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone" where word "alone" is even bold.

RSA is often wrong, as is in this case.

The exception from being an MPV based on assist and speed limit is only applicable for pedelecs. There is no exceptions for other types of propelled vehicles - they all are MPV.

I'd like to compare a very small electric car with a very large electric scooter.

No problem. Hit crash test dummy with smart and big electric scooter. I'm sure smart will make much more damage than largest electric scooter. And by the way most of scooters on roads are small electric scooters. Next time you see big electric scooter out there please post pic. Lets see how many pics youll get.

grogi wrote: »
    RSA is often wrong, as is in this case.

The exception from being an MPV based on assist and speed limit is only applicable for pedelecs. There is no exceptions for other types of propelled vehicles - they all are MPV.

Yes but if there is a difference between the law and enforcement people simply won't care. Similar to when the guards didn't enforce the law on someone with a learner permit driving unaccompanied.
    It would take a court case or directive from the minister for transport before the law would actually be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

RHJ wrote: »
    Another new scooter being launched by xiaomi for anyone that's interested they have even added pedals to try and make it legal in most countries.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/23/xiaomi-himo-t1-electric-moped-bike/amp/
    Riders can simply rest their feet on the scooter-style floorboard.

Might as well cellotape some to the current ones being confiscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes but if there is a difference between the law and enforcement people simply won't care. Similar to when the guards didn't enforce the law on someone with a learner permit driving unaccompanied.
    It would take a court case or directive from the minister for transport before the law would actually be enforced.

Until the enforcement suddenly changes...

grogi wrote: »
    Until the enforcement suddenly changes...

Didn't I say that? Or at least imply that that's what I think will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why not. The law doesn’t differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Last 2 weeks ive seen gardai stop a couple of xiaomi 365 riders in town and give out to them but the best was a garda near the spire trying stop a guy and he did a u turn onto the opposite side of o'connell Street and took off lol
    Heavy traffic, only a motorbike cop woild catch him!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Last 2 days in a row i've seen Garda bikes stopped with scooter riders alongside them taking details.
    There must be some clamp down on them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is that just a preference, or do you have any logical reasoning behind it? Assume same mass at same velocity (lets say 20km/h).
    My logic is that from what I see on average they are not the same mass and velocity, so I would prefer to be hit by a random bike.

This is why I had said
    This includes ebikes and of course there are a lot of non road legal e-bikes which go well over 25kmh, I am bearing them in mind so there is not point saying "oh oh wait, we are only talking about escooters that I personally approve of".
    As I was pre-empting a response saying something like scooters should only be going 25kmh max

My logic is that from what I see on average they are not the same mass and velocity, so I would prefer to be hit by a random bike.

This is why I had said

As I was pre-empting a response saying something like scooters should only be going 25kmh max

Well I'm sure that everyone who got hit by a car or bus would prefer to be hit by a bicycle. So, what I'm trying to say is, that speed limits should be same for everyone. If car is allowed 50, escooter should be too. I'd limit the speed to 25-30 km/h only for cycle lanes, which are raised and share space with pavement, not the road. And this would apply on anything with wheels, not just erides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't have to turn a key in my car. Maybe it's not an MPV :rolleyes:

You are correct. Bicycles usually go quite a bit faster.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

And what about cycle lanes on the road and not on a segregated pavement? 25 or 50 limit?

The biggest issue I have with escooters (and ecars) is that they are silent. You cannot hear them approaching from behind and squeezing past overtaking if you are on a bike.

That and the rear light is too low to be of use. It needs to be at the same level as car/bike about 3ft off the ground. Otherwise scooters are only suitable for 10k/h max along a footpath where rear visibility to other road users is not as essential

Advertisement