Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On the cycling forum the helmet debate caused so much noise it overwhelmed every discussion It was all moved to one thread only so as not to spam everything. Can I suggest the mods split this thread similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Got my first puncture on the rear of the Xiaomi, rimmed it home. What's the options now, did somone mention putting a solid tyre on?
    I'll probably just fix the puncture just curious.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got my first puncture on the rear of the Xiaomi, rimmed it home. What's the options now, did somone mention putting a solid tyre on?
    I'll probably just fix the puncture just curious.

Apparently it's quite a pain in the hole replacing the wheels. Personally, I went from solid to pnuematic, purely as it's a lot more of a comfortable ride. If you do repair it, fill with slime first as it will give you less chance of getting a proper puncture.

Probably depends on the surface you cover. If it's very smooth route perhaps the solid tyres invulnerability to puncture is useful. If it's not then perhaps the ride is too harsh and you need air filled tyres.

You can get puncture resistant tires for bicycles. Are there any for scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

There is an upgraded pnuematic tyre.
    It's thicker so it's more puncture resistant and it's meant to have better grip especially in wet conditions.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p0kfsuvAdYg

I've done 230km on mine with no issues so far.
    I pumped tyres up to 3 bar.

I just upgraded my display to the 365 Pro screen.
    Has 3 speed modes and built in speedometer.
    Very easy install.

New 365 scooters also have upgraded folding latch design with steel clamp/latch instead of aluminium on older models. You can see online of people showing where their latch has sheared off at the locking bolt.
    If your scooter has Mi words instead of Mi logo is on the stand base you have the new latch design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

antodeco wrote: »
    Apparently it's quite a pain in the hole replacing the wheels. Personally, I went from solid to pnuematic, purely as it's a lot more of a comfortable ride. If you do repair it, fill with slime first as it will give you less chance of getting a proper puncture.

Slime wont stop you getting a puncture. It just lets the air out very, very slowly when you do get a screw or nail in a tyre.

Also its not suitable for use in tyres that are going to be sitting for a few days as it goes hard.

And it is not supposed to be used in the front wheels of motorbikes for that reason. It imbalances the wheel leading to control issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

RSA have updated their FAQ to note that scooters that require an initial push start are still an MPV.
    "What is the law on e-bikes, pedelecs or battery powered scooters? Regardless of the type of bike, or whether it
    requires an initial push start,....."

Still important to note, this is only their interpretation of the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

cojomo2 wrote:
    Still important to note, this is only their interpretation of the legislation.

Law enforcement interpretation trumps everyone else's in the absence of a court ruling setting a precedent. I.e. you can challenge their opinion only at court, until then or until the court makes a different ruling, they are right.

I'm not sure if you mean what ever the Garda says goes or that the RSA is law enforcement?

beauf wrote:
    I'm not sure if you mean what ever the Garda says goes or that the RSA is law enforcement?
    Gardai's interpretation of the law is the precedent until another one is set by the judiciary. In other words what Gardai "think" is technically the law in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

McGiver wrote: »
    Gardai's interpretation of the law is the precedent until another one is set by the judiciary. In other words what Gardai "think" is technically the law in reality.

But the Garda's interpretation is unclear at the moment. However the RSA have made their understanding of the law more clear.

tuxy wrote:
    But the Garda's interpretation is unclear at the moment. However the RSA have made their understanding of the law more clear.

Garda are the law enforcement. RSA opinion is irrelevant on the ground, they don't enforce their rules. Garda do it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

tuxy wrote: »

Not this again. I will repeat for the one trillionth time.. This loophole in domestic Irish law about how a vehicle is "started" DOES NOT EXIST!I

There is no loophole in the law. None, nada, zero.

I am going to start calling this "Trumps scooter law".

It seems if something is repeatedly reposted, it makes it the truth for some.

prinzeugen wrote:
    Not this again. I will repeat for the one trillionth time.. This loophole in domestic Irish law about how a vehicle is "started" DOES NOT EXIST!I
    My point is that even if there was a loop in the law (it isn't) then until the judiciary sets a precedent, Garda's interpretation of the law is the actual law in reality. Now one else's opinion is relevant, Gardai's interpretation trumps everyone else's, except of the judiciary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

WHY ARE THE LEGAL DISCUSSIONS NOT IN A SEPARATE THREAD?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

quarryman wrote: »

The op asked what people think. And boards doesn’t allow people to give advice on breaking the laws so that’s why.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

already been asked
    ongarite wrote: »
    Could we get a seperate thread where we can discuss scooters and what ones are worth buying/mods for them & leave this **** show of a thread for discussion on the endless over and back of MPV/insurance/tax, etc..
    It's a massive turn-off for a someone thinking of getting one.
    beauf wrote: »
    Most people are interested in both aspects. It would be hard moderators to keep the same issues from cropping up.

It is a massive turn off, and so it should be. I would hate to see more people duped/conned into buying them by unscrupulous sellers. The RSA & official Garda sites left me with no doubt they were banned, I never thought the wording was ambiguous and am amazed others got people to believe it was. Individual gardai are now being conned by chancers and this is causing more confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭andydurnin

What's the best tyre to use when riding around bumpy uneven footpaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

rubadub wrote: »
    already been asked

It is a massive turn off, and so it should be. I would hate to see more people duped/conned into buying them by unscrupulous sellers. The RSA & official Garda sites left me with no doubt they were banned, I never thought the wording was ambiguous and am amazed others got people to believe it was. Individual gardai are now being conned by chancers and this is causing more confusion.

That is such a stupid argument.

If your incorrect decision to buy a scooter is made because you didn’t see the 2nd thread discussing legal issues on boards.ie then it’s hard to help that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭ongarite

andydurnin wrote: »
    What's the best tyre to use when riding around bumpy uneven footpaths?

What scooter? Do you mean between tube tyre or solid?
    Solid tyres are IMO not a good fit for use in Ireland.
    Grip is poor is damp, wet conditions.

• Advertisement

it’s hard to help that.
    not it's not, it's really simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Leaving aside the legal discussion on this, has anyone tried the unicycles?
    https://www.gearbest.com/kick-scooter/pp_009155475639.html?lkid=15972580

Are they difficult to balance on? Is there a store in Ireland I could try one?

They seem allot more convenient for taking on and off the train/bus. And while they go a bit slower than scooters, I've usually find on the bicycle, once you take into account red lights and traffic etc, the speed is not that big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 S!nead

Does anyone know any repair shops in Dublin city centre? that would repair a ninebot es2 scooter. Did a few google searches and there doesn't appear to be anywhere in town that will fix them. I have the es2 and added a new battery and now it won't turn on and getting error code 18. I am not technical so wouldn't have a clue about how to take apart and reassemble.

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭wandererz

Leaving aside the legal discussion on this, has anyone tried the unicycles?
    https://www.gearbest.com/kick-scooter/pp_009155475639.html?lkid=15972580

Are they difficult to balance on? Is there a store in Ireland I could try one?

They seem allot more convenient for taking on and off the train/bus. And while they go a bit slower than scooters, I've usually find on the bicycle, once you take into account red lights and traffic etc, the speed is not that big an issue.

Had one briefly. Also did a training session prior to using it.
    Don't have it any longer.

It takes (quite) a bit of getting used to. It's not a simple step-on-and-ride solution.

It's easier to learn if you have rollerskating/blading or skateboarding experience.

It requires a strong core. Not good if you have a bad back.

If you fall off it, it can potentially travel a (small) distance & hit someone or something.

It doesn't "self-balance", it requires considerable effort on your part.

All the control is in the mid to lower body.
    There's nothing to help one balance, unlike the handlebars on a scooter or bicycle.

They are still quite heavy.

Don't buy one unless you've tried one. There's a guy on adverts offering a training session for electric unicycles. Look him up. But do a few sessions rather than just one, to be sure.

Scooters are easier to learn, cost the same or cheaper and are safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

wandererz wrote: »
    Had one briefly. Also did a training session prior to using it.
    Don't have it any longer.

It takes (quite) a bit of getting used to. It's not a simple step-on-and-ride solution.

It's easier to learn if you have rollerskating/blading or skateboarding experience.

It requires a strong core. Not good if you have a bad back.

If you fall off it, it can potentially travel a (small) distance & hit someone or something.

It doesn't "self-balance", it requires considerable effort on your part.

All the control is in the mid to lower body.
    There's nothing to help one balance, unlike the handlebars on a scooter or bicycle.

They are still quite heavy.

Don't buy one unless you've tried one. There's a guy on adverts offering a training session for electric unicycles. Look him up. But do a few sessions rather than just one, to be sure.

Scooters are easier to learn, cost the same or cheaper and are safer.

ah ok, thanks a mill for that very informative reply. Def not something I'd consider for the end of a commute so, but possibly something I'd consider as a hobby.

I'll take your advice, and try a couple of courses first...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Aside from the fact that é-scooters are not currently legal, (and I know some class of review is supposed to be underway), is there any good reason why they shouldnt be legal... (I'm talking about the pedelec equivalent in scooters, so push start? And limited speed / power?)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Markcheese wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that é-scooters are not currently legal, (and I know some class of review is supposed to be underway), is there any good reason why they shouldnt be legal... (I'm talking about the pedelec equivalent in scooters, so push start? And limited speed / power?)

In a society that enforces its laws, nothing really. They are great devices in hands of responsible users.

They should be registered and have registration plates. And any one of them that is dropped in the street (AKA Lime and other rental schemes of them) should be taken to the compound by the authorities without any mercy.

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'm talking about the pedelec equivalent in scooters, so push start? And limited speed / power?
    An equivalent to the road legal pedelecs would require continual scooting or some other method of applying continual power to the motion, then the motor is allowed to assist that. There was a youtube video posted of one that attempted to do this

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/e-scooter-business-says-sales-down-over-50-due-to-confusion-over-legality-1.3875124
    He said e-scooters, similar to pedal-assisted cycles, “do not require continuous effort on the part of the user, and are therefore considered to be mechanically propelled vehicles”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

grogi wrote: »
    They should be registered and have registration plates.

And what problem would this solve? Returning of stolen scooters?

Given the rear profile any reg plate wouldn't be readable by anyone unless under close inspection rendering it pretty useless for identifying red light running / footpath using / car scratching etc etc etc mavericks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The whole road tax, registration and insurance for road vehicles needs a radical overhaul.

For low powered vehicles ...
    Decide on a max power rating and max speed for the likes of e-scooters and powered cycles and get rid of the registration requirements, road tax, number plates etc and require specific insurance for the person using such vehicles.

It could also be included that the devices would have to meet a minimum safety standard, so construction or importation of non compliant vehicles is prevented.

In truth there are good reasons for persons to be insured to drive any vehicle within their insurance cover (proven capabilities).

Failure to carry the necessary current documents while using such a vehicle should cause it to be confiscated immediately where detected.

Make it easy and cheap for legally compliant users and very difficult and costly for those who refuse to be compliant.

Advertisement