Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think what needs to happen is that there is a max speed limit, and there must be insurance for all of them. I think thats the most common way to deal with it (cant be driven on paths etc...) High vis etc.

Just because it can be powered without manual input, doesnt make it some evil vehicle. Look at those small 4 wheel buggy type things, you see alot of people on (EG people who have difficulty walking) Ive been hit a few times by them. They dont have registration plates, insurance etc, and are allowed on the path. Their speed is lower, so my assumption is that, that is why they dont need it. Find a middle ground. Treat them the same as bicycles, but with a speed limiting factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I actually think the insurance and registration is a joke,just treat speed limited ones like a pedal lec or a bicycle,

Is there a claims crisis in Dublin due to uninsured bicycles?.
    Do people organise crashes of bicycles to claim insurance? Or put in spurious claims to either insurance companies or the uninsured drivers fund over bikes.... (although they probably Could do that over é-scooter at the moment).. I think you'll create a problem by forcing insurance and registration...

I'd have no trouble with riders having to do a half day basic training course, and having to have that cert on them while riding, wearing a helmet and additional lights...

And I have no problems with gardai enforcing the rules of the road, or seizing ilegal scooters,

But they're a potentially game changing transport aid in urban areas, they will cost the government Feic all, and once they're not harming others I wonder about the amount of sor grapes coming across...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Markcheese wrote: »
    I actually think the insurance and registration is a joke,just treat speed limited ones like a pedal lec or a bicycle,

If I am, through no fault of my own, struck by a vehicle, be it powered or not, there should be insurance cover for any injury caused etc..

That same should apply to all users of vehicles, regardless their size speed or how powered ..... manually; electric, ICE etc..

If I am, through no fault of my own, struck by a vehicle, be it powered or not, there should be insurance cover for any injury caused etc..

That same should apply to all users of vehicles, regardless their size speed or how powered ..... manually; electric, ICE etc..

You're entitled to sue for costs... Should pedestrians be insured..? Cats and dogs? Insurance federation of Ireland will love you...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

For low powered vehicles ... Decide on a max power rating and max speed for the likes of e-scooters and powered cycles and get rid of the registration requirements, road tax, number plates etc and require specific insurance for the person using such vehicles.

Spot on.

1. Restrict power and speed. Less power = less speed = less kinetic energy = lower potential damage (down to physics).

2. Insurance for the person and you have to carry the insurance policy with you. Simples. No plates, registrations and what not, that's a nonsense.

Swiss folks do two types of insurance which would be suitable to mandate for these e-things - personal liability insurance and accident insurance. Either of those should be sufficient, cheap enough. The person checked by Garda would then just need to present valid insurance policy.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote:
    You're entitled to sue for costs... Should pedestrians be insured..? Cats and dogs? Insurance federation of Ireland will love you...
    Not really, but people operating any kind of vehicle should. Common sense.

Swiss folks do and personal liability insurance and accident injury. Many people have those, while not mandatory a Swiss federal government recommends having one. I got ti study these things when considering an offer in Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

McGiver wrote: »

Swiss folks do two types of insurance which would be suitable to mandate for these e-things - personal liability insurance and accident insurance. Either of those should be sufficient, cheap enough.

Insurance in most other countries is significantly cheaper. Using Switzerland as an example, I could insure my car 3rd party at 1/3 of the price it costs me in Ireland.
    With high payout rates for insurance claims in Ireland what incentives are there for companies to offer cover on these types of vehicles?

tuxy wrote: »
    Insurance in most other countries is significantly cheaper. Using Switzerland as an example, I could insure my car 3rd party at 1/3 of the price it costs me in Ireland.
    With high payout rates for insurance claims in Ireland what incentives are there for companies to offer cover on these types of vehicles?

Why write about incentives for insurance companies?

The requirement should be in law regardless.

If companies want to quote for business or not is up to them.

Why write about incentives for insurance companies?

The requirement should be in law regardless.

If companies want to quote for business or not is up to them.

That's the thing, they won't. Not in this country, it would have to be a government organisation that offers the cover and it would have to be expensive to cover the large payouts. I can't see anyone paying €1k or more a year to insure an electric scooter.

tuxy wrote:
    Insurance in most other countries is significantly cheaper. Using Switzerland as an example, I could insure my car 3rd party at 1/3 of the price it costs me in Ireland. With high payout rates for insurance claims in Ireland what incentives are there for companies to offer cover on these types of vehicles?

The person is insured, not the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

antodeco wrote: »
    Just because it can be powered without manual input, doesnt make it some evil vehicle. Look at those small 4 wheel buggy type things, you see alot of people on (EG people who have difficulty walking) Ive been hit a few times by them. They dont have registration plates, insurance etc, and are allowed on the path. Their speed is lower, so my assumption is that, that is why they dont need it. Find a middle ground. Treat them the same as bicycles, but with a speed limiting factor.

They are classed as invalid carriages so are exempt under road traffic law. I think the only mention of them in the Road Traffic Act is about being banned from motorways. They are manufactured to strict rules and (in the UK anyway) must be roadworthy.

To make E-scooters legal the following MAY need to happen...

A new licence category ES for example. Users would need to pass a test to get it like Cat A,B etc.

Scooters would need to meet a minimum standard and have a certificate of conformity. LIghts, tyres, brakes etc just like motorbikes or cars.

Some sort of identifying tag or plate. You need to know who owns the scooter. Also insurance. There is no point saying these need insurance if a person that has been hit by one can't identify the scooter or rider because it has no plates.

Jestskis in parts of the US have a stick on number for that very reason.

And obviously the RTA would need updated. Just saying "if the are limited in speed, etc" will not work as that system WILL be abused doubling the work for the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The germans have just progressed legislation for them.

20kph.
    No one wheels, skateboards, balance wheels etc (need a steering column)
    Helmets required

I would not be shocked to see us copy/paste similar legislation here. Then everyone will flash legal scooters back up to 30kph and it'll be unenforceable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Should people on bicycles have to take out an insurance policy?.
    What happens if they hit a pedestrian?

If we are going to turn into a country of ****ing eejits let's go the whole 9 yards. No half measures

ED E wrote: »

20kph.
    Helmets required

I would not be shocked to see us copy/paste similar legislation here. Then everyone will flash legal scooters back up to 30kph and it'll be unenforceable.
    Except as the number of these on the roads increase, the speeds will drop... (like my trip to work, the speed limit is 120, rare that I get over 100)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Should people on bicycles have to take out an insurance policy?.
    What happens if they hit a pedestrian?

If we are going to turn into a country of ****ing eejits let's go the whole 9 yards. No half measures

Yup, everyone could have to have personal cover, the higher your risk, the higher your premium, (call it twat insurance, or maybe assurance)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Yup, everyone could have to have personal cover, the higher your risk, the higher your premium, (call it twat insurance, or maybe assurance)

What if a pedestrian walks in front of a cyclist who then falls off and gets injured.
    Pedestrians should have an insurance policy too.

We just can't have nice things in this country.

Air BnB no
    Uber no
    Electric scooters no

What a kip

20kph.
    Helmets required

In fairness to what I have read of the Irish Road Traffic acts, there are no loopholes or grey areas. Its simple using catch all terms in most parts but goes into detail about exemptions etc.

I would imagine any future law here would be basic, but crystal clear about the definition of a E-scooter, minimum requirements etc just like it is for motorbikes for example.

Has anyone thought about house insurance? I would say your premium will shoot up if they know you have one in the house!

Why would it shoot up? É-scooters are cheaper than most bikes.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What if a pedestrian walks in front of a cyclist who then falls off and gets injured.
    Pedestrians should have an insurance policy too.

Cyclists are road users so need to pay attention. If anyone hits a pedestrian the first question is "why didn't you see them". Its called due care and attention. You should be aware of what is going on around you.

Why would it shoot up? É-scooters are cheaper than most bikes.

Fire risk. Look at how many hover boards went up in smoke. Dublin Fire Brigade even tweeted about the dangers of charging that type of battery indoors (do it in a outbuilding).

• Advertisement

The person is insured, not the vehicle.

Exactly, Switzerland is very different from Ireland, if I was living in Switzerland my liability to an insurance company would be much lower. People will only take out personal liability insurance if it's affordable and it will only be affordable if the risk for insurance companies is low.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Fire risk. Look at how many hover boards went up in smoke. Dublin Fire Brigade even tweeted about the dangers of charging that type of battery indoors (do it in a outbuilding).

You're greatly exaggerating the risk of a small 36V lipo pack. As long as you don't charge one while visibly damaged (post crash) they're about as dangerous as a laptop.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

prinzeugen wrote: »
    They are classed as invalid carriages so are exempt under road traffic law. I think the only mention of them in the Road Traffic Act is about being banned from motorways. They are manufactured to strict rules and (in the UK anyway) must be roadworthy.

To make E-scooters legal the following MAY need to happen...

A new licence category ES for example. Users would need to pass a test to get it like Cat A,B etc.

Scooters would need to meet a minimum standard and have a certificate of conformity. LIghts, tyres, brakes etc just like motorbikes or cars.

Some sort of identifying tag or plate. You need to know who owns the scooter. Also insurance. There is no point saying these need insurance if a person that has been hit by one can't identify the scooter or rider because it has no plates.

Jestskis in parts of the US have a stick on number for that very reason.

And obviously the RTA would need updated. Just saying "if the are limited in speed, etc" will not work as that system WILL be abused doubling the work for the Garda.

And so should bicycles, which they don't. They are meant to, but they don't. No helmet wearing, lights, going through lights, cutting across the front of your car without notice.

As mentioned, it should be based on the person not vehicle. An idiot is as dangerous on a bicycle as a scooter and vice versa.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

20kph.
    Helmets required

Link please.

are they allowed on path / cycle lane / road ?
    registration / fines / vehicle category ?

The devil is in the detail.

my guess is that they'd fit in to the Denmark, Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium also have a light moped with lower maximum speed. category which just doesn't exist here

Which means we can't have similar legislation here

The main points seem to be
    • 14 years of age and older
    • used on bike paths and bike lanes only ... not on footpaths
    • max speed of 20kmph
    • given same access as bicycles such as some one way streets
    • For use on other than bike lanes a special licence is required

Approved protection required I think .... headgear.

Xiaomi M365 or the Segway Ninebot ES2, are unlikely to receive subsequent approval

tuxy wrote:
    Exactly, Switzerland is very different from Ireland, if I was living in Switzerland my liability to an insurance company would be much lower. People will only take out personal liability insurance if it's affordable and it will only be affordable if the risk for insurance companies is low.
    So basically you say solutions from other countries won't work in Ireland, because it's... Ireland? Oh not this defeatism again.

antodeco wrote:
    And so should bicycles, which they don't. They are meant to, but they don't. No helmet wearing, lights, going through lights, cutting across the front of your car without notice.

In England it's enforced, lack of lights at night at least from my personal experience, and I've heard helmets too. Gardai don't see to be able to enforce anything here.

category which just doesn't exist here

This moped thing is present in almost all continental Europe countries AFAIK...

• Advertisement

[*]used on bike paths and bike lanes only ... not on footpaths
    [*]For use on other than bike lanes a special licence is required

That's going to be a major issue in Ireland with many of the bike lanes too dangerous and coming to abrupt ends, not linking up ect.
    Perhaps in a few decades the infrastructure will be there.
    So basically you say solutions from other countries won't work in Ireland, because it's... Ireland? Oh not this defeatism again.

No I believe it can work in Ireland but because of the current situation with insurance and infrastructure it will take a few decades. No current politician is prepared to challenge the cosy insurance cartel or flawed legal precedent that has been set, give it another generation or two and there will be change though.

Advertisement