Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Someone commented above about scooters congesting cycle lanes. I currently cycle I keep a decent pace when commuting around the City. I am by no means a slow cyclist and I regularly have scooters out pace me and overtake me. I have never once been "stuck behind one".

How does this happen when posters on here say most of them are limited to 25 km/h?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

tuxy wrote: »
    How does this happen when posters on here say most of them are limited to 25 km/h?

Mine maxes out at 25kmh and Id say I can overtake over 75% of the bicycles I come up to. Dont get me wrong, Ive also been passed out by people on scooters and electric skateboards, whilst Im at 25kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Bikes are going slower than 25kmh.

Not that difficult to understand.

quarryman wrote: »
    Bikes are going slower than 25kmh.

Not that difficult to understand.

Some are but the poster I quoted says they keep a good pace.
    Someone commented above about scooters congesting cycle lanes. I currently cycle I keep a decent pace when commuting around the City. I am by no means a slow cyclist and I regularly have scooters out pace me and overtake me. I have never once been "stuck behind one".

30km/h is easy on a road bike if you exercise frequently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

30km/h is easy on a road bike if you exercise frequently

1. You need a road bike
    2. You need to exercise frequently

Hardly 'easy' to achieve for the Joe Average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    A lot of them around town now. Safer than a bike in my opinion. Easy to hop off a scooter if you don't feel safe. Not so with a bike! Very east to manoeuvre.

You clearly don’t cycle.

I'm based in Dublin city center I see on average 3-5 every day. Personality I'll be buying one the second the law is cleared up (hopefully with a positive result ).
    I’m often stuck behind them. And I find that the users dint know he etiquette of cycle lanes. I.e keep left to allow others to pass.

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m often stuck behind them. And I find that the users dint know he etiquette of cycle lanes. I.e keep left to allow others to pass.

Id agree with this, but I'd also include cyclists into the same category. Some cyclists do, some cyclists don't. Some scooterists do, some scooterists don't.

Equally, some drivers do and some drivers don't.

I think this whole arguement needs to be put to one side. It's always a them versus us versus them. Some users are idiots, regardless of vehicles.

grogi wrote: »
    1. You need a road bike
    2. You need to exercise frequently

Hardly 'easy' to achieve for the Joe Average.

A €400 road bike and 6-8 hours a week? That said I do know the average commuter is slower but I was basing it off the comment from that particular poster about going at a decent pace and claiming to be by no means a slow cyclist. 30 km/h would actually be on the slow side for someone making such claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

A €400 road bike and 6-8 hours a week? That said I do know the average commuter is slower but I was basing it off the comment from that particular poster about going at a decent pace and claiming to be by no means a slow cyclist. 30 km/h would actually be on the slow side for someone making such claims.

I am rather fitter than my mates - but maintaining 30kmh is not a feat... Certainly not in a 'I-am-commuting-to-the-office' context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

What are you talking about :confused: I have a road bike I take out at the weekends, and easily enough get up to 30km with good conditions and open road.

I spend most of my commute cycle into work at about 15-20km. Theres no way of building up any speed in Dublin inner city, and routinely scooters pass me out.

grogi wrote: »
    I am rather fitter than my mates - but maintaining 30kmh is not a feat... Certainly not in a 'I-am-commuting-to-the-office' context.

It’s grand out of the city. But stopping at lights keeps lots below 30. You build up the speed to stop again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Btards gliding past me wasting all the resources running on batteries made by children in Congo when I'm stuck in Dame st. in my 1.5t metal box. And they don't even pay any road tax Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I get overtaken by bikes all the time on mine. Probably about 15/20% of bikes are faster. The number would be higher if most bikes were not of the Dublin variety.

The one I have definitely isn’t as safe as a bike mainly because of the brakes.

Luckily have never had a second look from the guards and at this stage it’s paid it’s self off. Will probably upgrade to something with more grip and better brakes like the m365 although that one is slightly slower than mine.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I get overtaken by bikes all the time on mine. Probably about 15/20% of bikes are faster. The number would be higher if most bikes were not of the Dublin variety.

Luckily have never had a second look from the guards and at this stage it’s paid it’s self off. Will probably upgrade to something with more grip and better brakes like the m365 although that one is slightly slower than mine.

My assumption is yours is the Kugoo S1?

samih wrote: »
    Btards gliding past me wasting all the resources running on batteries made by children in Congo when I'm stuck in Dame st. in my 1.5t metal box. And they don't even pay any road tax Joe!

Didn’t you read the poster further up? They are “stupidly unstable” and a “nuisance”!

You need to stay in that metal box.

antodeco wrote: »
    My assumption is yours is the Kugoo S1?

I own the Kugoo S1 and the Zoom Stryder and while the Kugoo looks like a clone the Stryder is far superior. Better suspension, better build quality. Better tyres. The only thing the Kugoo trumps it on is the better LCD display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Zurbaran wrote: »

What scooter do you have

I own the Kugoo S1 and the Zoom Stryder and while the Kugoo looks like a clone the Stryder is far superior. Better suspension, better build quality. Better tyres. The only thing the Kugoo trumps it on is the better LCD display.

And the price!

I've the S1 by the way. Upgraded the tyres to pneumatic ones. Ive also loosened the suspension, so its nice and bouncy! Will see if I can fashion a better rear break (will look at a rubber pad). When the scooter dies, will upgrade one to better brakes. Thats the only thing I dislike about the S1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Theres a lad i saw ripping through Phoenix park on a scooter. It had large-ish wheels and red suspension front and back. Was overtaking all bikes with ease. Anyone know the make/model?

482726.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks interesting all right. Big though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

ok, looks like Ive found it, Some beast of a yolk!!! a Zero 10X

https://electric-scooter.guide/reviews/falcon-pev-zero-10x-review/

https://youtu.be/Bx5EdCNHZCI

Love to have a go. More of a moped though. Perfect for getting around though

antodeco wrote: »
    And the price!

I've the S1 by the way. Upgraded the tyres to pneumatic ones. Ive also loosened the suspension, so its nice and bouncy! Will see if I can fashion a better rear break (will look at a rubber pad). When the scooter dies, will upgrade one to better brakes. Thats the only thing I dislike about the S1.

Don’t get me wrong, the S1 is fine. But I was surprised how much better the Stryder felt when I went back to it.

I tried to loosen the suspension on my S1 but no luck. I’d say your tyre upgrade definitely makes a good difference.

The brakes are **** on both the S1 and Stryder so no contest there!

Don’t get me wrong, the S1 is fine. But I was surprised how much better the Stryder felt when I went back to it.

I tried to loosen the suspension on my S1 but no luck. I’d say your tyre upgrade definitely makes a good difference.

The brakes are **** on both the S1 and Stryder so no contest there!

Was it the rear suspension? There is a bolt underneath, that you just twist a few times will loosen it up. Also, get a good suspension lube for there and then the front suspension. If you stand on mine and "bounce" the whole scooter flexes quite well. Very handy for going over the multiple ramps!

My S1 has served me well. I got an ECU fault yesterday, that stopped the electric brake from working, so hoping its not the beginning of the end (seeing as its only 4 months old!)

ok, looks like Ive found it, Some beast of a yolk!!! a Zero 10X

https://electric-scooter.guide/reviews/falcon-pev-zero-10x-review/

FFS, that’s ridiculous.2, 1000w motors. E bikes only have a 250W motor

ted1 wrote: »
    FFS, that’s ridiculous.2, 1000w motors. E bikes only have a 250W motor

Unfortunately, these are the types of eScooters, that causes the issues for all the other ones. Absolutely ridiculous, and these are the ones that should require the same things as a moped. There is a big difference between this and a 25kmh 1/4 the power scooter. Unfortunately, the law (and a lot of people) dont distinguish between them.

This is why there are two different classes of eBikes.

beauf wrote: »
    This is why there are two different classes of eBikes.

In Ireland there are road legal and road illegal eBikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

escooters are legal in Germany from tomorrow.
    min 6kmph to 20kmph max speed.
    No need to wear a helmet.
    keep off the pavements.
    must have two brakes, a bell and a space below the brake light to show an insurance cert/registration number.
    must be type certified.
    insurance which will cost around 50 euro per year is obligatory.

by legal from tomorrow I mean production of type certified scooters can begin from tomorrow so it will be a short while before they appear for sale.

existing scooters can be brought in to complaince but probably won't happen often.

Between the likes of electronics stores and LIDL/ALDI/REAL and of course Amazon there will definitely be a supply of scooters to be bought and there are bike lanes everywhere here.

If scooters are to change urban commuting then it will happen in Germany first.

I doubt the scooter hire companies will make much impact as Germans simply won't tolerate them being strewn all over the cityscape.

Advertisement