Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend electric folding scooter for end of commute (Mod Note Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

My guess he had it on stand for testing and never deleted the stuff, same as GPS/dashcam. I always clean out that stuff if I am well over

Nah, typically, loaded rpm is about 80% of the unloaded rpm. The most likely explanation is a glitch as alluded to already.

Not the brightest of cops it has to be said. You'd think you'd be knowledgeable about something that's a core component of your job.

15KW hub motors designed for scooters are possible on bikes, but they are very large and would require hefty, modified dropouts. That's clearly not what's being used in the picture.

Cops shouldn't be on social media spreading misinformation or on social media representing the police force as identifiable individuals full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Interesting article here : https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/15/invasion-electric-scooter-backlash
    I didn’t realise that there was fatality in the uk involving a lorry and a scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Joseph SEE wrote: »
    Nah, typically, loaded rpm is about 80% of the unloaded rpm. The most likely explanation is a glitch as alluded to already.

His wheel circumference was set wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Hi all,

Sorry but I'm new to this. Is there any circumstance where an escooter is legal (maybe once helmet is worn or if it's speed limited).

championc wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry but I'm new to this. Is there any circumstance where an escooter is legal (maybe once helmet is worn or if it's speed limited).

Nope, unless you use it on private property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

ted1 wrote:
    Nope, unless you use it on private property

How about in a park, off road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

ED E wrote: »
    His wheel circumference was set wrong :rolleyes:

That's very unlikely to account for such a mismatch. Those cheap displays typically go from 20" up to 29". The sensor is on the front wheel, which looks to be 26" in the picture. Not much to work with to give an incorrect reading.

McGiver wrote: »
    How about in a park, off road?

Nope only private property. Cops have been confiscating scramblers and quads for use in those areas. They are the same classification

ted1 wrote:
    Nope only private property. Cops have been confiscating scramblers and quads for use in those areas. They are the same classification

Seriously? That's sick. I get the road, huge potential to self damage but off road with no other vehicles around...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

McGiver wrote: »
    Seriously? That's sick. I get the road, huge potential to self damage but off road with no other vehicles around...
    The law doesn't really care about self damage. It's damage to pedestrians that's the issue.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    The law doesn't really care about self damage. It's damage to pedestrians that's the issue.

Like this: https://www.irishtimes.com//ireland/irish-news/the-motorbike-ran-over-my-husband-and-crushed-his-face-1.3624025?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring it back to e-scooters please

I certainly cannot understand as to why escooters cannot use cycle lanes. Bikes are capable of going the same speed if not faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I certainly cannot understand as to why escooters cannot use cycle lanes. Bikes are capable of going the same speed if not faster.

It's probably because currently it is not legal to use an escooter on a public road. Also the cycle lanes in this country are poorly designed and may contribute to causing more accidents than if they were never created.

Is Shane Ross back from his holidays yet? He did promise a swift decision on this.

Because they are classified as MPVs. Until they legislate them
    They are no different than cars. The recent death in the UK won’t help. Shane Ross is incompetent and will be gone will be gone soon enough. So I wouldn’t hold my breath

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ted1 wrote: »
    Because they are classified as MPVs. Until they legislate them
    They are no different than cars.

In law only in fairness. Not in physicality or structure.

ted1 wrote:
    Because they are classified as MPVs. Until they legislate them They are no different than cars.

Not wanting to drift off topic, but I can only assume that eBikes are illegal too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not wanting to drift off topic, but I can only assume that eBikes are illegal too ?

Any bike that requires the user to apply some force to the pedals to maintain movement is legal, even if that force is assisted by a motor.

A vehicle capable of maintaining movement only by motor power is an MPV ... similar to a car.

An awful lot of laws make little logical sense.

• Advertisement

championc wrote:
    Because you eventually have to use the road as well as the cycle path network isn't proper. And they are illegal on the road, hence cycle lanes are a no go.
    Compare with the cycles, they can use roads so if you stride off the cycle lane, you're legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

any idea on if/when we will know if it is worth buying one?
    apparently they are being seized by the gardai at the moment
    would prob buy one but want to follow the law - get insured if necessary etc.

I think proper targeted legislation is needed to encourage the right sort of mobility devices. ie speed restricted safety tested etc. An outright ban is totally counter productive.

After that I think we need to go the whole hog and ban cars from large parts of the city centers. Starting first with single occupancy diesel powered cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

any idea on if/when we will know if it is worth buying one?
    apparently they are being seized by the gardai at the moment
    would prob buy one but want to follow the law - get insured if necessary etc.

Because of the recent fatal accident in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a token increase in seizures before they go back to ignoring them again.

I am open to correction but I don't think anyone who tried had managed to get insurance. Maybe thats they lack of type approval or classification (other than mpv) I don't know. That said the insurance industry don't seem to want to insure anything these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

There was an idiot woman driving along the N4 in the bus lane on one of these scooters the other day. You can blame morons like this for the scooters not getting approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Irish insurers won't ever take on a driver without requiring a motorbike licence (unless DTTAS made a new license, I doubt it). Those kidna hurdles will discourage many would be users.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why shouldn't these vehicles be insured? They are capable of causing plenty of damage.

They are faster and have greater range than a push bike so licensing is not unfair either.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why shouldn't these vehicles be insured? They are capable of causing plenty of damage.

They are faster and have greater range than a push bike so licensing is not unfair either.
    They don't have greater range than a bicycle, and they aren't faster either. Bicycles routinely travel at 30-40kph on the flat, and 60+kph downhill, and I don't see many e-scooters going that fast.

As a pedestrian I'd rather be hit by someone on a e-scooter than a 25kg e-bike.

My main issue with e-scooters compared to bikes is the crap stopping distance and tiny wheels.

Because how much damage can they do ? Card have compulsory insurance because the damage they do is often outside the means of the driver.

Compulsory insurance fir something that might do low cost damage only puts money in the pockets of insurance companies and encourages false claims

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ted1 wrote:
    Because how much damage can they do ?

Enough to cause a fatal injury without doubt. It's the speed and weight of the rider and machine that'd impacting potentially.

Advertisement